Winter's Finished

• 24 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 05:19:18 AM »
Have you tried this in a higher key and didn't like it? Maybe what I'm hearing is the effect of the competition between the vocal and the instrumentation. I feel like I have to strain a little to hear the words and my brain is telling me if it was higher I could hear it better. :)

It could easily be just me or maybe my headphones. Other than that, I like the beat and I like the words. And I like the melody. And I wish I could put together something like that with all those instruments and stuff. I'll get there, though. I'm learning.

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
Hi all - thanks for all the comments - a bit behind in catching up with all of them...

- Montydog - many thanks for great comments - I am slightly kicking myself re the low key but too many tracks to re-record - next time will think about this before entering the studio!

- Pompeyjazz - thanks so much - was playing with yet another remix but I think I'll leave it as is so as not to lose the remaining rawness...

- Paulski - I didn't see the Simon & Garfield comment coming but listening I think there's definitely something similar in the drum sound... many thanks for coming back to this one!

- Caliamoko - yep, in hindsight I think a semitone or two higher would have been the thing to do. Lesson learned (though the backing vocals might then be getting into dog rousing territory!). Thanks for such good comments otherwise - this is my 6th recording ever - I'm sure you'll get way beyond this level sooner than you think...

Thanks all and good luck to all in the competition!

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »
Hi Adam!

I am really impressed with the lyrics in this one. Especially the first has some very nice images and sophisticated texting.

In the chorus I really like the melody of the second line and also the last line - the hook - is very catchy. I can imagine this hook line even "bigger", with harmonies, reverb, fx, etc. piled on it to set it more apart from the rest.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »
Hi Adam

Great stuff from the man who made it all happen!

I love that guitar sound in particular...it's Mick Jones in 1978, getting vexed because his curly guitar lead's wrapped round Joe Strummers mic stand and...oh wait...I'm back in the room...damn...

Great driving rhythm and spiky delivery...right up my street, of course...

It reads really well as a piece of poetry too, I was just thinking...the ending hangs there really nicely...a kind of "to be continued" feel to it...

Having said that, musically...the ad-libbed (?) spoken endings worked a treat and seem to display excitement and relief that the song is - indeed - in the bag. Like a race horse clearing the last fence in the grand national knowing that he's so far ahead, he could even stop for a picnic before strolling over the finish line, taking the rosette and a couple of extra sugar lumps before retiring to a stud farm to see out his days in equine splendour.

Great :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »

Hi Adam,

love the intro ;D Great energy throughout.

Like the way you've arranged it.  Works very
 well.

My one thought was that the song might benefit
 from a more powerful/angry vocal, something with
 attitude, if you know what I mean ;D ;D
 Just doesn't seem to have the same 'punk energy' as
 the music  ;D

good luck in this amazingly organised comp.  ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Frenchy

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »
Hi Adam,

Nice vibe, I agree with some of the other comments about raising the key od the song a bit to give it some impact. Your songs are getting better and better

Regards,
Frenchy

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »
I was dancing around the room to this one Adam ;D I totally love the punk rocker vibe and
appreciate the clever lyrics  8)
I think you're doing amazingly well, if this is only your 6th production 8)
I agree with the comments regarding the vocal...a notch higher would energize this
immensely, but other than that, a top notch production :o
Good luck in the comp and thanks for all the work you've put into organizing it  :) :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
Quick thanks to everyone for the feedback!

- Wolfini - thanks for taking time to appreciate the lyrics - probably my "unique selling point" so it's great when they get noticed.

- PaulAds - many thanks for those images - now I cannot ever listen to or perform this song ever again without thinking "stud farm" (now there's a love song with a twist)  ;)

- Binladeda - thanks for great comments. You're probably correct re the vocal - probably not the best match of voice and style.

- Frenchy - thanks indeed - that key thing now seems so obvious... Lesson for the future...

- Crystalsuzy - it got you dancing, hurrah! Many thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers everyone.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
The intro is genius!

The song is great

I think there is too much reverb on the main rhythm guitar - you would get much more "punk punch" with a drier sound, which would contrast with the reverb on the other little guitar parts

Great stuff though and some lovely touches throughout
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »
Thanks Boydie - was watching White Christmas and there was the intro right there...

Probably spot on with the guitar tones - I was imagining a "wall of sound" but I think that the real punks didn't have pedals or effects and just got their sound from cranking up the amp so am a bit off the mark. More experimentation for me to do...

Many thanks