Can anyone recommend a mic for use with iPhone 5 please

• 3 Replies

18 in the 80s

• Busker
  • I'm a guitar player & songwriter from Midlands UK
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:04 AM »
Hi

Can anyone recommend a mic for use with iPhone 5 please?

I use my phone to produce rough demos on the fly but am using the inbuilt mic at the moment.   Looking invest in simmering that can do a better job.

Cheers

Paul
Paul - 18 in the 80s

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
Hi, are you recording to a multi track app or just to say memo?
If you're doing the former then you need to be able to connect the mic and headphones.
I use 4track and my headphones, you get some background noise and breathing but it's very easy and takes up no space when you're travelling away from home. I did go and by an iRig mic and a desk stand and it all worked well but have reverted to my 4s and its headphones. There are lots of others out there Blue comes to mind, I'd work out how much you want to spend, do some searches, try musicradar soundondound and I'm sure others including Boydie will be able to give a more uptodate view on what's out there.
Hope this helps :)Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
Much will depend on your budget and what you want to achieve - and whether you are likely to use the kit for anything else later - eg the best quality (and long-term investment/use) is likely to be getting the best mic you can afford and getting a good audio interface compatible with your system(s) (eg some may do PC, Mac, iPad and iPhone)

However, there are also bits of hardware that will low you to connect equipment you already have - eg if you already have a mic you might be best to use this and just get a good audio interface

Quality of the recording is also something to consider with IPhones

Are you happy using the analogue mic Jack socket (which uses the iPhone pre-amp) which would probably be ok - or are you looking for better quality and therefore need to connect using the lightening connector?

Then there are the "all in one" solutions - This looks like a good option if it is within the budget you had in mind

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimedia-Studio-Microphone-Black/dp/B00TY2X18S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1455451354&sr=8-5&keywords=irig+mic
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

18 in the 80s

• Busker
  • I'm a guitar player & songwriter from Midlands UK
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 06:06:15 PM »
Thanks guys,  lots to think about!

I'm looking for something to enhance my demos  (I'm using 4track) so it's not like I'm looking Abbey Road studio quality,  respectably as my budget is about £100

Cheers

Paul
Paul - 18 in the 80s