konalavadome

'Pre-amps can cost as little as £15' - can anyone recommend one?

• 6 Replies

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
I'm a bit old fashioned in that I prefer to do most of my recording unplugged from a laptop. Working on one all day I kind of like to get away from it.

However I have issues with getting the levels right. Especially for recording electro acoustic guitar or anything through a mic - its just too quiet. (I record into a Boss RC3 looper and then export to a laptop afterwards, which I know is not the best way, but I'm not looking for production excellence - just capturing reasonable-sounding song ideas).

One of the sticky's mentions that you can get a pre-amp for £15, but does not seem to recommend one. Has anyone bought a cheap pre-amp that they would recommend?

thanks

Ben

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »
Before spending any money can you define "too quiet"?

The reason I say this is not only to save you spending, but with digital recording it is easy to stick to the old analogue methodology of recording as hot (loud) as possible to try and get a "signal to noise" ratio with tape

Over the years, and as I have learnt more about digital recording, I am finding the complete opposite is true in the digital world and I am recording quieter and quieter every time and getting much better results

I then just turn up my monitoring and worry about levels when mixing and mastering

Pre-amps, especially cheaper ones, can introduce noise - especially if they are turned up

What is the exact problem you are trying to overcome that just turning the track gain/volume up doesn't solve?

What daw / software are you using when you transfer to your laptop?

What is the signal level like when you transfer a file - Ie at what general level does the track meter bounce around at (-9, -12, -20 etc?)?

It is possible that the low recording volume is by design as it is likely that a looper pedal would leave a lot of "headroom" as each time you loop and add a part the signal would get louder so they need to leave a lot of headroom to allow for this build in volume to prevent distortion

Do you have a guitar amp laying around? You could try using this as your "pre-amp" if it has an output or FX loop send

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »
Hi Boydie,

The Oracle comes to the rescue again  ;D

I guess I assumed the sound would be better if I don't have to amplify the signal too much afterwards. I literally I just recorded a synth piece over a loop from the Digitech RP360 and wanted to record some acoustic and percussion over the top - but couldn't get it loud enough to even be noticed. If low volume recording is the way forward, maybe I could just turn the synth and drum loop right down instead of amplifying the mic (which I have no volume control over).

As soon as I can get my laptop to recognise my synthesizer as a MIDI device (i'm onto Korg tech support with that) I intend to invest in a DAW, probably Reaper. After which I may just use the loop pedal for generating the ideas and record afterwards direct into the PC.

Thanks again

Ben

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
Trying again recording at low volumes, I actually think the Shure SM58 I picked up on e-bay might be a dud. It barely picks up a signal even with the guitar amp and headphones both on full volume.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
Hey, mics can be repaired, worth a try?
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
Original Shure SM58s are known for their reliability and resilience so the first thing to check is that you have an original before deciding whether it is worth paying to get it repaired or buy replacement parts - if you Google it you should be able to find sites to help you identify an original one

I have managed to break one thoug (quite a claim to fame!)

The easiest thing to check is to undo (or actually tighten) the little grub screw at the connector end of the mic

The XLR connector should then slide out and you can check the connection of the wires

In my case the ground wire had come loose leading to a noisy recording

I don't think you would regret using a proper DAW like Reaper - just cutting out the steps of transferring recordings will improve your workflow immensely
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
Hi Boydie,

I am very pleased you mentioned checking whether the microphone is an original. Having looked at a couple of different websites I'm pretty certain its a fake (quite a convincing fake to look at, but certainly not to listen to).  >:(

I have reported this to the seller and requested a full refund.

Thanks again and your help is much appreciated.

Ben