konalavadome

The 14 day rule/guidline

• 34 Replies

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
I don't think people should feel pressured to keep up with everything. Time is a scarce and precious commodity for many people and I certainly can't keep up so I do my best and go with the flow. That's probably why I spend most time in the lyrics section.
I like things how they are, but will happily adapt to whatever is decided.

I think the mods do a great job, so thanks 😀
GTB
GTB

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »
I don't think I've posted in the "finished songs"; I was waiting until I could figure out the production side. But after reading this, I may post some guitar and vocal stuff there.

1. The 14-day rule applies to "finished songs", I know.
2. Does it apply to "works in progress"?
3. How about "lyrics"?

I've been noticing the songs moving off the front page pretty fast, so I would be okay with a one-a-month rule. I have a really hard time keeping up. I have to skip some songs because I get too far behind.

Vicki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »
If you think your song is finished then it is finished and you will of course put it on the finished songs forum..
if you think your song is a WIP then it should not be posted in the finished songs area..
lyrics belong in the lyrics section..

because we are all different so some peeps may not agree that a song is finished properly..particularly if the performance includes mistakes...
A simple guitar or piano based song can be as radio ready as a full production song...no doubt about that..
but consideration should be given to the potential listener and some small effort made to make it sound reasonable to listen to..
I personaly do not want to listen to peoples mistakes..if they cannot be bothered to rehearse it a few times to get it right then I wont be be bothered to listen to it..

abd nobody is under pressure to do anything..put a song up when you want...1 month..2 months..6 months..
it's up to the poster..I dont believe we need a once a month rule because some people cannot deliver once a fortnight...once a fortnight is the earliest posting time between songs, if you wanna post once a month then post once a month..no problemo..

and Vicki..to far behind what?..this is not a race or a competition..just do what you want when you want..chill :) :) :) :)

best, Kevin :) :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:40:41 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
I'm guessing that the 14-day rule was put in place originally to stop somebody from joining and then flooding the board with their back catalogue.

I don't suppose it was expected that some might be posting on the dot just because they could.

Personally I find it a bit too much. It isn't just the 'being too busy' factor. I am losing the will.

What about 3 weeks?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
and Vicki..to far behind what?..this is not a race or a competition..just do what you want when you want..chill :) :) :) :)

Too far behind in reading. I [unrealistically] want to read ALL the posts. Taking your advice, sort of, I read the ones that look most interesting, as many as I can, and then at the end of the day, I mark all unread posts as "read".

Vicki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 07:08:17 PM »
Viscount mate...if you want to post every three weeks or every three years it's your choice..
you seem to be suggesting that the rule should be changed because your losing the will to write.. ??? ???

surely not.. :) :) :)

and is it really a problem that some people post on the dot because they can? :) :)

best, Kevin :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:12:18 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »
Personal view is that things are fine as they are  :)

John

agreed... :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 07:12:32 PM »
No, because I am losing the will to listen and comment.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 08:23:46 PM »
Whenever i get the time to listen and comment I'm always playing catch-up from the middle of page 2. It is a very fast-moving forum but I guess that's because it is popular.

I would like it to move a bit slower though.

how about you can only post another song when your last one has reached say, 30 comments?

... or a month has passed!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 08:46:35 PM »
cam down cam down

my preference would be to keep it the way it is , but equally want the viscount to be happy
plus once a month may well mean the mods hav to be armed to hold back the tide of frustrated troubadours !

i dunno ivanhoe

'finished songs' has to be subjective surely ?  how can it not be
'finished productions' is maybe another beast

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
No, because I am losing the will to listen and comment.

so listen and comment whenever you want and in your own time my friend..there is no pressure whatsoever!! :) :)

Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »
cam down cam down

my preference would be to keep it the way it is , but equally want the viscount to be happy
plus once a month may well mean the mods hav to be armed to hold back the tide of frustrated troubadours !

i dunno ivanhoe

'finished songs' has to be subjective surely ?  how can it not be
'finished productions' is maybe another beast

Hi nooms..finished songs is a subjective thing..thats why it has to be up to the songwriter to decide it's finished..other peeps may not agree of course but if the songwriter says it's finished then it is!! :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »
Whenever i get the time to listen and comment I'm always playing catch-up from the middle of page 2. It is a very fast-moving forum but I guess that's because it is popular.

I would like it to move a bit slower though.

how about you can only post another song when your last one has reached say, 30 comments?

... or a month has passed!

I also play catch up because it's a fast moving forum, but I don't try to slow it down to suite my own personal way of working...there are songwriting forums out there that are much slower, I am a member of a couple...and believe me, when you log in to a forum after a week or so and see absolutely nothing has changed it is very dispiriting...not to say boring :) :) :)

Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »
You're right Kevin. I shouldn't worry about it.

It's just that, as a (hopefully) conscientious fellow, I feel an obligation to not let my listening and commenting get slack. The more stuff that's posted the harder this becomes.

Maybe if there was more time between postings we might be able to give more attention to the songs and more detailed analysis which might then spark the poster into giving more insight into his/her thinking behind the crafting of the song and we might all learn something.

I don't think that a conveyor-belt mentality benefits anyone.

Having said this I do agree with you that this forum has a good buzz where some I've looked at seem pretty stagnant.

As with everything it's finding the right balance.

Anyway I'll shut up about it for now.

2½ weeks anyone?
Take it easy.