The 14 day rule/guidline

• 34 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
is it still enforced? a few recent posters seem to be ignoring it...not complaining..just asking, I'd be quite happy to post songs earlier..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »
It is enforced when noticed

Often just a gentle reminder for newbies and/or locking one of the posts

The boards do seem to be moving quite quickly again at the moment so I would suggest we maintain the rule

Don't forget that anyone can use the "report post" feature

This isn't just for really bad stuff, it can also be used to give the mods a simple "heads up" and is completely anonymous so don't see is "telling on them" but helping out the mods and the community as a whole
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:28:40 PM »
Hi Paul..don't really want to be reporting or telling on people I've mentioned to a few that they've uploaded a bit early but starting to feel like a bit of a buzybody...so I'll lay off I think.

just wondered if it was being relaxed a bit...

best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
Maybe some people can't count very well. Let's make it a month. Easier to check then. And if anybody sneaks one in early by a few days we'll still be better off than we are now.

The finished songs board is moving too fast.

Have I said this before?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
Hello

I'd be inclined to agree...it's quite overwhelming trying to keep up...

Making it one song per calendar month (Jan/Feb, etc) would perhaps make it easier to keep an eye on?

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »
I tend to agree that slower is better (easy for me to say as I can't seem to get a song ready in less than about 60 days).

However, it might encourange people to use WIP, Lyrics and Recording more and not use Finished Songs for things that really aren't.

Perhaps we could also have a section in The Bar for Published Songs or something - I can be a bit annoying when posters say 'here's a song from my latest "EP" / "CD" / "Other Published Thing"' and are just self-publicising and not really interested in any constructive comments...

Uh oh, bit ranty, off to meditate for a bit...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
No disrespect meant to anybody but why should it be slowed down? if peeps want to put a song up once a month or once every 2 months they can, there is no pressure to put one up every 2 weeks...
I'm a busy guy but never have a problem keeping up with the finished songs forum..
I'm in a traffic jam in Germany on D1 approaching Frankfurt writing this, there's always time somewhere..we are stationary of course..the last 2 hours actually..
I agree with Adam regarding people who just upload their latest ep/album or whatever but thats always gonna happen, freeloaders are all over the interweb..not much can be done about that I s'pose.

I try to put in as much as poss..the forum deserves it but lets not start talking about slowing it down..
just go at your own pace and enjoy it.. :) :) :) :)

best to all, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
I'd be interested to know when a finished song isn't considered finished and should thus be posted in the recording / lyrics / WIP forum rather than the Finished Song forum? For me, a finished song is when I have the lyrics, chords, and melody sorted. Anything else - arrangement, recording, production, mastering - is not what I would come to a song-writing forum for. But I'm more than happy to move my work to one of these other forums if I'm misreading the philosophy here?

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
I'm with you here as far as that goes Derek.

For me it's never going to be finished production-wise because I'm not a sound engineer and can't sing very well. I take 'finished song' to mean finished from a writing point of view.

I think we should start talking about slowing it down. Songs are disappearing off the first page too quickly and this must be leading to some songs not getting a fair whack at being reviewed.

Some don't post very often and deserve to have their moment in the spotlight.

What's the hurry?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Dear Count, a month? I'll get musical constipation! ;D
2 weeks has worked fine for the last couple of years..
 :)
Neil    
songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »
"Finished" means different things to different people so there is always going to be variation, which is a good thing

For me, a finished song is when I have the lyrics, chords, and melody sorted. Anything else - arrangement, recording, production, mastering - is not what I would come to a song-writing forum for. But I'm more than happy to move my work to one of these other forums if I'm misreading the philosophy here?

I agree with your statement and you have got the philosophy completely right

However, in this day and age for some genres the arrangement and "production" (recording, mixing etc.) IS part of the finished song, especially for those that want to go on to pitch their song

The rule of thumb is to always put what you do (and do not) want specific feedback on within your original post

Some people like to look at songwriting in the "pure" form (lyrics, melody, chords) and some like to incorporate arrangement, production etc.

Neither is right or wrong - all feedback can be taken on board or ignored

I actually do think the boards should be slowed down and would personally support a "one song a month" rule, however this is TONE's house so we play by his rules!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
Finished is when the songwriter says it's finished...some people prefer to sing along to a guitar and call it finished, some people prefer to do more to a song before they think it's finished..
either way, if you've written the song and consider it finished then as far as the songwriter is concerned..it's finished innit!! :) :) :)

can't believe that question cropped up..who writes a song and doesn't know if they've finished it?

doesn't matter what other peeps think,if you say it's a finished song then it is....for you

best, Kevin :)

on the one song a month issue, that could have a quite dramatic effect actually, we would have less reason to pop in to the forum because there would be nothing much happening..maybe :) :)

best again :) :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:11:09 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 06:24:06 PM »
Actually there is a simple solution being that this is a songwriting forum and not a production forum,

all songs submitted should only be guitar vocal....or piano vocal...songwriting in it's purest form,
I'd be up for that..

or we could have a separate forum for the said songs and a separate one for songs with other stuff going on...maybe :) :) :)

best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »
I am not sure if you are joking or not but I think the forum split is fine as it is

Most people understand what level of feedback to give based on the song posted and the specific feedback requested

The "song" v "production" argument will just go around in circles and is very much an "opinion" thing

For me a "finished" song can either be the "finished article" (ie a "radio ready" track that will be sent to publishers or released)

OR

A finished vocal and single instrument (eg piano or guitar) to just get across the lyrics, melody etc.

I find the feedback is generally tailored to the needs of the original post - and even if it isn't it can always be ignored!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »
Yeah..your right... :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!