Galaxy [Entry for Spring Contest]

• 8 Replies

Patrick Kordish

• Busker
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
                        "Galaxy"
Hello everyone! Really loving this forum! Here's my submission for the Spring/Valentines contest.
   This is a song I wrote a few months ago about the power of love and how it can come into our lives and basically dominate every part of us. I hope you all enjoy.😊

"Galaxy"
    Runnin' through my mind you are
       Pulsar throwin' shooting stars
        There's no escaping gravity
           Welcome to my Galaxy
            ...I hope you like it

Infinitely Wonderful
      Completely Visible black hole
          Welcome to my Galaxy
            ...I hope you like it

I say you're pullin' on my heart my dear
        Rips away my atmosphere
I say your pullin' on my heart sweetie
        In towards your singularity

Infinitely wonderful
     Completely visible black hole
         Welcome to my Galaxy
       ...and I hope you like it

Copyright protected

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »
I can't listen to your song, since it's on YouTube and I don't have enough bandwidth to watch videos (I'll try to remember to check it out next time I'm in a wi-fi hot spot in town). But I can speak to the lyrics (only from my own perspective, of course).

I usually don't do feedback on YouTube songs since not being able to hear them is a handicap, but I had to make an exception for your song because of your approach to the topic. It reminds me of two of my favorite other songs--"Star Songs" (to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle") by David Britton (can't find a link to it right now) and a song by four scientists who wrote a science-related song to the tune of "The Longest Time". It's somewhere on YouTube.

I saw one thing that felt to me like it doesn't quite fit--in this verse, err, bridge? (I'm a bit dependent on labels--you know, like VERSE. CHORUS. BRIDGE. etc):

Rips away my atmosphere
I say your pullin' on my heart sweetie

Anyway, it's the second line. Verbs are so complex. First line says (and this fits with the rest of the song) "I say you're pullin' (pulling) on my heart...". "Pullin' " is what is called "present continuous". "[It] Rips away my atmosphere." "Rips", on the other hand, is "present simple". It's the only place you break the pattern. To be consistent, it would have to say "ripping" or "rippin' ".

It's possible I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, so take or leave my feedback, as suits your purpose. As I said, I really like the way you went with this lyric. I hope I get to hear it one of these days.

Vicki

Patrick Kordish

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:42:27 AM »
@CaliaMoko,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Its obvious your knowledge of the English language supersedes mine..lol I absolutely love this kind of feedback. It really made me think. I even took a little online quiz regarding "Present Continuous" and "Present Simple".(I passed with an 81% lol) You are spot on and I never would have noticed the inconsistency. I learned a lot today and I thank YOU! With that said, it shows the difference between the love of the literary sense of the written words, as apposed to just writing something out of feeling. (Not that there can't be both in unison ...lol)
               Thank You! 😊

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:08:55 AM »
You're welcome, Patrick. You've heard of grammar police, right? Yeah, I'm the one in charge. ;)

Patrick Kordish

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
@Vicky,
That's so funny. I love it. Makes me wish I paid a little more attention in my English classes throughout high school. Keep me on my toes Vicky! The only thing better than constructive criticism is learning from it and actually applying it. I'm glad you're in charge! I look forward to learning more from you and the other fantastic writers here. 😊

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »
You've been pullin' on my heart my dear
        Rips away my atmosphere
You've been pullin' on my heart sweetie

I believe that takes care of the English usage problem without any substantial change to your lyric. 

If it works, "You're welcome."  If it doesn't, ignore me.  'o)
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »
Still have the "continuous" versus "present" problem. The "ing" ending makes it continuous (adding "you've been" makes it present perfect continuous. The simple "s" ending is still present continuous.

Doesn't mean it can't be used. Improper English is used all the time for one effect or another. And I know I'm obsessive about it, so it's okay to ignore me.  :P

Patrick Kordish

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:31 AM »
Still have the "continuous" versus "present" problem. The "ing" ending makes it continuous (adding "you've been" makes it present perfect continuous. The simple "s" ending is still present continuous.

Doesn't mean it can't be used. Improper English is used all the time for one effect or another. And I know I'm obsessive about it, so it's okay to ignore me.  :P

Rippin' away my atmosphere

πŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜€πŸ˜Šβ˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‰
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:47:22 AM by Patrick Kordish »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:54 AM »

;D

Doesn't mean it can't be used. Improper English is used all the time for one effect or another. And I know I'm obsessive about it, so it's okay to ignore me.  :P

Rippin' away my atmosphere

πŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜€πŸ˜Šβ˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‰