Empty little house - demo

• 12 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »
Dear All,

Here's an eary demo of rather sad song, which has had some feedback on the lyrics section thanks.

So i'd be grateful for thoughts around the best arrangements. Do i keep it like this version; Guitar with strings with a little bit of bass and drums or strip it back further to either guitar and vocals, or strings and vocals only? ps I've not got better strings than these..

Any other comments gratefully received.

Rgds

Neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/empty-little-house-master-demo-31-oct-2016
songwriter of no repute..

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
I love the song and mood. Would like to see the words posted here  - just have a feeling there needs to be some space round the words/  - while I was digesting one good line the other was on me and I missed it, just sayin.
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »
Going by some of the finished songs posted in said section this is not a demo..it is well finished,

sounds good to me mate... :) :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
lovely story telling.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
NeilC

Words flow much better in this one Neil.

It all sounds good to me though maybe that tricky bit 'spot' isn't quite perfect....having the pause before 'spot' kind of sets it up too much like you'd set up a joke line if you know what I mean, which seems inappropriate I think. And maybe don't start with the strings either.

You bring in something after this bit...I suppose it's a cello at 1.50 which is fine but then i wouldn't bring the other strings in on the 'nobody belongs' but wait until the next section with the postman starts....maybe.

just a couple of thoughts anyway.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Neil. Think this is really good and SO sad. Not a lot to change as far as I am concerned. Maybe some subtle backing vocs in the chorus. As ever, quality work.

Cheers

John

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 02:24:49 AM »
Holy crap! This is in the WIP section.....probably the most lovely melody you've ever written and the arrangement with the acoustic guitar and strings is simply gorgeous. Your vocal is so perfect -just the right key for you. This is simply the most beautiful recording you have ever posted on here. I love it to bits.
M

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for the very encouraging comments - Monty I'm almost blushing...
I'll take on board the suggestions around arrangements and the pause on 'spot' and get a decent vocal take.  Its meant to be poignant without being maudlin so hopefully that will come across in the final version.
 :)
Neil

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Great detail makes this very personal and relateable. I wasn't 100% sure about the dying verse - I might have tried to hint at it more subtly (easy for me to say). But this all works so well. Great work.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 11:20:40 PM »
I've had the chance to play this many times since I posted my original comment and it's just got better and better. What a beautiful piece of music.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
Adam and Alan thanks again.
As for the dying verse I think 'slowly slipped away' seems quiet a low key and accurate way of describing things. Unfortunately the husband has since joined her but they are now together, indeed they're buried together next to the house, I kid you not.
 :)
Neil

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
Hi Neil,
First of all I haven't read the other feedback so apologies if I repeat something. Also, I love the song and especially the guitar part, fab chords and they follow the vox beautifully.
For me the bass could be louder and I found the synth a little busy. Maybe a more subtle synth/strings with less embellishments, combined with something else (piano?) to keep those counter melodies in there. Minor points and totally subjective, of course 😊
GTB
GTB

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Nice, I would like to hear it fingerpicked, maybe with a nylon guitar as this would be gentler.

Look forward to hearing the finished song  :)