Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
Cracker photo Derek.  8)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
Can't help but wonder if this is all coming to an end. Not the playing, but the bands and the gigs. I'm not sure if the enjoyment factor is high enough to outweigh the hassle factor, any more. I know I'm in the wrong place work-wise / commute-wise / sleep-wise to make any major decisions and I've got gigs booked deep into 2018 so nothing's going to change yet. But I can feel the first inklings deep inside that maybe I'll just have more fun practicing and playing ragtime guitar at home and just wandering down for an occasional open mic. Maybe pop up YT videos once in a while and be done with it.

Don't know. The music I love isn't really loved by many and thus there's no call for it out at gigs. We shall see. It just feels that live music round these parts (at amateur level) has kind of ground down to some lowest common denominator stuff that doesn't float my boat. It's not helped by scores of people being happy to play for nothing. It's as if they value their own stuff at zero. It makes it tough for anyone who does think they're worth at least something, no matter how small.

As I say, I have gigs booked almost a year ahead, but I can definitely feel a change in the distant wind.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:19:27 PM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
I definitely hear what you are saying about the live gigging scene

It does feel like the venues themselves are trying to pass on the "risk" to the band - especially younger bands - by asking them to play for free with a share of tickets/entrance fees

I think this is a real shame as the venues want a guaranteed drinking crowd without the risk/advertising etc.

I have no problem with "freebie"/reduced price first gig but it seems like the venues are using lots of different bands to get lots of freebie "first gigs"
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »
It's no easy road Derek.

This November it'll be 2 years since I 'took a break' from playing for money. I do miss some aspects,but I became tired of playing stuff I didn't much like.

It takes a special kind of dogged determination to play what you want and to get venues interested,most places view music as the first corner to be cut.

The advent of technology has allowed people to put on a 'show' often without being able to play very well,sometimes not at all,this has taken away opportunities from bands and musicians who have put in the hours to learn and keep learning their craft.
Unfortunately venue owners don't care as long as the punters keep dancing and buying the drink,plus the dancers don't know or care if it's a karaoke band or not. When the drink is in,they'd dance to a car alarm.

These days I get enough of a kick from battering out shite with a DAW,you've no one to please but yourself,having said that,there is no feeling in this world like playing live and getting the audience on your side.

Do the thing while you still enjoy it Derek,that's all I can say.  :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
Following on from the last few posts, this year's gigs took it out of me. Not physically, but enjoyment-wise. I spent too long learning songs that I had no interest in, and in the process had no time left for the stuff I love. The irony is, next year is already really busy with gigs... it could all happen again  :-\

But meanwhile, the last few weeks I stuck my thumb-pick back on and have been revisiting some old songs to try and get back on board the train I want to ride.

This one is an old Merle Travis song. Needs a few more flashy bits, as that's what's expected of this song in the modern world, but for now here's a standard first take, one track, 1+1 version that hopefully I can take to an OM or two sometime soon.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13658811&q=hi&newref=1

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy