konalavadome

Open Mic

• 124 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
Don't know why I read your post Derek, it's a thin line between being inspired and just damn jealous.

Sounds like you're having tons and tons of fun!

I'm still early so hopefully plenty of time to embed myself into the gigging scene and find some cool musicians to jam with.

That guitar though is a different story, so so cool and fantastic talent! Would love to learn something like this, shure I'll learn buckets giving it ago!

All the best,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:19:49 PM by ScottLevi »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
Maybe if I practice hard for those same ten years I'll be able to play Cannonball Rag like that???

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
Cool rag Derek.

As for soft focus,keep it man,it suits you!  :D  :P

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
Thanks guys :-)

Scott, I hope it works as inspiration rather than jealousy. Trust me, there's nothing to be jealous about. I'm lucky enough to be blessed with a willingness to practice the same thing over and over (literally a thousand times in the case of one part of that song). I've pretty much played nothing else since New Year and when I went to play some electric guitar in the studio last week I was awful because of that single-minded attention on just one thing. I now have to go in on Thursday and re-do a bunch of guitar solos but I have no confidence they're going to be any better than what I did last week.  :-\

As regards the playing out and having fun. Yep  ;D It's always been about playing live for me and I'm lucky enough to have done it for forty years and have plenty of contacts who ask me to play. Then, once you're out there you meet more people and so it goes.

cheers
D
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Latest effort from my sojourn in the woodshed - the Dallas Rag. I'm not strictly happy with this - which is why I'm in that shed - but it's edging forward. I'm going to try separating out the melody and bass and learn them in isolation before putting them back together. I hope that will result in a better sounding result. But meanwhile this ain't bad for a country boy.

https://youtu.be/Jr7-oDOVCa0
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
Lovely stuff Derek.

You have that thumb as regular as a metronome!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
Absolutely b@ll~$5£d this morning. Long time since I felt so poorly :-(

We had a cracking gig last night - full on rock'n'roll band at a theatre, sold out, really really good. But I'd woken up yesterday morning with a temperature and the shivers and a space-out head and a bad throat. The show had to go on, of course, and once there yesterday afternoon - setting up, sound-checking, and during the show itself adrenaline kicked in and aside from my throat being croaky all was very good. But as soon as we finished it was like that virus came back tenfold. Certainly glad I'm not in a touring band. No way could I do it all again this evening!
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
For your throat I recommend lemonade + boiling water + teaspoon of honey!

This has saved my throats many a time
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »
Or you go with lots of whiskey and smokes Tom Waits style.

Just saying...

;D ;D ;D

Get well soon D!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »
For your throat I recommend lemonade + boiling water + teaspoon of honey!

This has saved my throats many a time
I need to try this. I caught a fierce cold--first time in years--three weeks ago. Lasted maybe a week, but my throat won't come back. :( If I try to sing with any strength behind it at all, it feels like I might tear something in my throat. And just taking a breath in through my mouth starts me coughing. Very depressing....

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
Latest effort from my sojourn in the woodshed - the Dallas Rag. I'm not strictly happy with this - which is why I'm in that shed - but it's edging forward. I'm going to try separating out the melody and bass and learn them in isolation before putting them back together. I hope that will result in a better sounding result. But meanwhile this ain't bad for a country boy.

https://youtu.be/Jr7-oDOVCa0

Nice fretwork!  If only I could play to such a standard!! 

Bought myself a mobile phone tripod a few weeks back and used it to film myself and Gaby - mainly to see just what annoying/embarrassing things we do without realising it when playing and to try to make our performance a little more interesting.  Not got anything we'd consider sharing with anyone yet but hopefully just a matter of time....

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »
Like a few others I'm a bit AWOL at the mo'. In my case I'm not in the shed writing songs or working on recording, I'm just practicing the guitar. Anyway  bac k to where this thread started all those years ago... I've done a fair few gigs already this year, but tonight was the first solo gig of 2017 where I got to do some of my own songs. Just a forty minute set, but it went really well (I got an encore!). Probably the best solo gig so far. In between the John Prines and the Kris Kristoffersons I managed to sneak in four of my own - all tunes I've worked up here: You've Been The One, Tail-Lights (complete with new verse "I kissed you on the lips and swallowed all of your lies"), Six-Gun Hero, and Drag You Back. Great fun and I do feel like I'm making progress on various aspects - confidence, speaking, eye-contact, singing, and guitar-picking. Just need to get a few more gigs :-)

Meanwhile, here's me last weekend when out with the band at a theatre show:

West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »
Top work Derek. Is that Strat yellow, or just the lights making it seem that colour.
Very nice and it's put me in the mood for a yellow guitar. I may just build one.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
Cheers Skub. It was cream in 1979, but many years of playing smoke filled bars has seen it get a yellow tinge...
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »
That'll be the colour of yer pipes too!