Open Mic

• 124 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
I just went back and read through most of this thread again. It's kind of motivating.  I really like that you're taking us with you on this journey.

Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us informed.

Vicki

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 10:11:52 PM »
Quite an inspiring thread to read. I haven´t played live in about 18 years apart from a one-off set about 10 years ago. I´ve ony ever done a gig once as a singer as well, when I was young and handsome, which may be the reason I got an encore.

Wasn´t there another open mic thread for us to put up a video show on here? Maybe a good place to start.

Anyway, Derek keep us informed. It´s a great read.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Just arrived home after today's two gigs at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival. Great fun. One with a duo and one with a band. Lots of mobile phones being pointed our way - if I can track down some footage I'll share it. Yesterday was a trio gig at a beer festival up in Worcestershire. On the back of that one it looks there'll be a few more gigs, possible a couple from today, too. Also got home to find a booking for another of my duos. So the momentum continues. Not much opportunity to do any of my stuff at this weekend's gigs, though I did sing a few yesterday and snuck in "I Don't Believe In Lies" and managed to hog the stage for a solo finger-picking rag, and there's been some minor networking, but I think I need to get a lot better at this networking lark if ever I want to get some proper solo gigs.

Hey ho, looking forward to a well deserved Bank Holiday tomorrow with nothing to do. I've even mowed the lawns already so it's a chillin' day!
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 07:57:57 PM »
Life is a bit of a rush at the moment - been away with work, then took a couple of days off to immerse myself in the world of the Beatles up in Liverpool. Had to race back to do a gig and then it was work again and the lawn keeps growing and the dog wants walking and then the car blew a tyre and my commute is about to be extended by ten miles - but that could equate to an extra hour - and I must confess I've been a bit lax with reviews here. Can't promise to catch up, but hopefully I can get back in the groove soon. Haven't even had chance to post a song in ages - though I have loads. Hopefully get something up soon.

Meanwhile here's a Liverpool time machine:

West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »
Love the photo. I was never in Liverpool (or anywhere on any continent other than North America for that matter), but it takes me back to my school days, making gum wrapper chains, and pining away in an adolescent fashion for Paul McCartney....

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
It was an amazing and inspiring few days, Vicki. I won't bore you with loads of photos but as this is a song-writers' site this one might be of interest. Apparently John Lennon's auntie wasn't overly keen on him playing music in the house, so around the corner at Paul's childhood home was where many of the songs were written. I call this "I Saw Them Standing There".

West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
Sounds like you're having fun Derek,keep 'er lit man.  8)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »
Brings back loads of memories about how hectic life is when you´re constantly gigging...keep the stories coming. Someone should start a funny gig stories thread...

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
Been a bit quiet the last month, but the gigs ramp up again over the next few weeks. I have a couple of solo gigs tucked away amongst the duos, trios and bands and I'm looking forward to giving "Dig" and "You've Been The One" a bit of a go. Out of all the new songs I think those are the ones that fit best with my finger-picking style.

Meanwhile, what goes round comes around. I'm slowly working my way through various finger-picking ragtime books. A while back I nicked one of the chord sequences to use for "Let The Lyrics Take The Strain". Felt a bit guilty...but only for a few minutes. Then, last night, I was playing another of these ragtime tunes to a friend and he started singing along - turns out the chords are exactly the same as those used in George Hamilton IV's "Abilene".

Not one to turn up the chance of adding a song to my repertoire with minimal work, I learned the words, and now have a slow ragtime version of this old country favourite ready to go when the time is right:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13392528
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
Had chance to do a half an hour solo set today at a charity event for Oxfam. I worked up a fingerpicking set that featured three of my originals.

Arrived in time to see the two preceding acts - both duo's with a fellow playing the guitar and a girl singing. And both playing all well known cover versions. The act after me was a chap singing to backing tracks - also all well known popular hits. Lovely guy, and talking to him earlier on I knew what he was going to be doing in advance.

Must confess in the light of the above I was tempted to adopt a last minute change of set list and play a few more well known covers... But I resisted the urge and stuck to my guns. Aside from helping to raise some money for Oxfam my intention was to practice my solo stuff in front of an audience, and try out a few originals. So I stuck with plan A.

It went well. Quite a few folks there despite the typical June weather. A few people filming bits of it in iPads and phones and few folks keen to talk afterwards. The fellow on after me took my card as he reckons he can get me some gigs, too. We shall see. Overall, not sure it was the ideal audience for my brand of music but I played and sang as well as I have at any of my solo gigs (each time I feel like I learn a little and improve a little), wasn't nervous at all ( a world of difference to my first few solo outings), and my originals (esp. "You've Been The One") were well received. Definitely getting better at this thumb-picking, albeit slowly.

Later this month I have another solo half hour gig to do. But that one is part of Blues Festival week and I think my material will find a better aligned audience. In fact, I can't wait. I reckon that one could be a good one.

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
Not been on here much this week - time seems to have got away from me what with one thing and another. I'm trying to wean myself off spending too much time in the virtual world and find a way back to the real one, but... here I am.

Great gig last night. A duo gig - acoustic guitar and cajon - we play all the old rock'n'roll favourites, Stones and CCR and Status Quo and Bob Seger and the Who and Kinks and all that. It was in the garden of a hotel and we were meant to finish at 10:00 but folks kept calling for more and we kept playing until just before 11:00; finishing with a storming version of Hey Joe and when Chris played the cajon like Mitch Mitchell did the drums on the "riff" section people stood up and applauded. Alas, there's now a big hole in his cajon - maybe it was more Keith Moon than Mitch Mitchell. 

Doing it all again this evening at a wedding in Oxford. Luckily it's with the band. My fingers and throat are raw this morning. I'd be rubbish in a touring situation.
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 01:53:27 PM »
Wow. Another mighty gig - two hours straight, no break. Was a sixty mile drive and I found myself going over a toll-bridge in Oxford. Visions of the Severn Bridge as I approached (£6.60) but the cost for this ancient bridge across the Thames (I think) was just 5p. I thought there'd be an honesty bucket, but nope, there was a guy in a little booth collecting the money (dealing with traffic in both directions). What a way to spend Saturday night - collecting 5ps.

The gig was great - the bride was fantastically happy with the band, as was her dad, and I think pretty much everyone who was there. A great evening in a very beautiful setting (Radley College, Oxford). But I realise I'd be rubbish at touring. Two nights on the trot and my voice is shot and I've worn away my finger nail right down on my plectrum finger. I'm definitely more physically suited to gentle finger-picking and acoustic songs these days. But it is nice to rock out!

Anyway, here we are.

West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
The scenery looks and sounds familiar,Derek.  :D

Looks like a good night was had by all.

Regarding your fingernails,quite a while ago I started using acrylic paint on jobbies and it finally allowed me to play the way I wanted. They are a bit of a bollox for everyday life (I find myself doing a lot of stuff left handed to save the nails) but for playing they are the best thing ever for me. I never use a plectrum now.

Be careful with your voice man and take professional advice on how to use and conserve your pipes.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 07:25:34 PM »
I have had many a gig sponsored by "VocalZone" throat lozenges (especially after a few in a row)

If you have a sore throat I really recommend lemonade + hot water + honey

Instant relief and very soothing!!!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
I can second on the vocalzone. Got me through a few gigs before.