konalavadome

The Biggest Crime

• 16 Replies

skogge

• Open Mic
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
The lyrics to this one was earlier presented in the lyrics section here:
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/lyric-reviews/how-would-you-know/msg95827/#msg95827

It has since been renamed "The Biggest Crime" but the content is the same. It´s another song about the lies ruling the world and the hardship facing those who wants to think and live outside the box. It is also a celebration of the magic in life, real or not. But I firmly believe that the possibility of different kind of magic should be a possibility even if I might, or might not, believe in such a thing...

Well. I am very happy with the outcome of the song. Hope ya´ll like it as well :)

http://soundcloud.com/skogge/the-biggest-crime

The Biggest Crime

I was born in a flash of magic
then learned to trust in logic
as taught us in school
Just never learned the Mathematics
or how to read schematics
I looked like a fool

The straight line that matters
in how to behave
I threaded on that line
with all the worries in the world
I couldn´t steer away
for the threat of a sword
To common for the arts
but to strange for the herd
Where would I go?

In time when I got older
and the world a little colder
I started to see and
many things fell out of glory
just another empty story
will not set you free
Some say there is magic
Some say there is not…

But what if some
forgotten alchemist
made gold
and someone far
from being a star
will never grow old
If the biggest crime
in all of time
is telling the truth
How would you know?

But ooh…
If I supported anything
it wouldn´t be a diamond ring at all
A useless thing
staring in the ground
she and him
searching in the round
trying to have some fun
and to hold each other down

But what if some
forgotten alchemist
made gold
and someone far
from being a star
will never grow old
If the biggest crime
in all of time
is telling the truth
How would you know? (repeat)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:14:25 PM by skogge »

emmelina3

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
It's catchy kind of an old school style kind of long and repetitive if anything! I would listen to it again I like it! keep up the good work!
Emmelina

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
Nick Kershaw came to mind as soon as this started..weird or what..good song but a little too long and the arrangement seemed to fight with the vocal quite a lot..found the bit at around 2.30 a bit strange and don't think it fitted the song..

an 80's vibe for sure which IMHO is not a bad thing..a lorra good stuff was done in the 80's...

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »

I liked this - super vocals and quirky beat/melody.
Some nice use of synths as well.
For me, the hook seems to be buried in the last verse, but by then, with the song's length, interest wanes - would be nice to hear it earlier and more often, or change the title/hook to "How would you know?" which seems more of an earworm to me.

Niggly-nits aside, this is a solid performance and production IMO
Paul

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
change the title/hook to "How would you know?" which seems more of an earworm to me.
Niggly-nits aside, this is a solid performance and production IMO
Paul

Ha! That was my first title on this one but the other thread made me doubt it! Thank you for nice words Paul. :)
Nick Kershaw huh :D I only remember him as something that I thought sucked!! :D  ;D
Yes, I usually get some critique for my "busy" arrangements. I kinda like more complex music but maybe my talent isn´t up to the task (yet). But I am trying, and having fun doing so :) Thanks Shadowbox! (edit: D*MN you autocorrect. Shadowfax.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:38:36 PM by skogge »

KaelJay

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 03:02:20 AM »
I love the 80's synth pop feel. The vocal really blends well with the production, but had some strained moments at first.

The arrangement was too long. Probably have to cut some parts.

It was really good to hear. A thing I would hear on the radio. Good stuff!
Mikael

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »
Hi skogge. Yes really authentic 80s sound. I think it was well done and produced but if you had just concentrated on your vocals a tiny bit more it could have been REALLY good . :)

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
Hi Pompeyjazz & KaelJay
Thanks for listening in and dropping some feedback! :)
Most of you seems to think the song is too long. I really, really tried to keep it short and to cut down on the extras... It is kinda slow in the tempo and that adds some seconds to the time I guess...

As of the singing, I am not a singer but I love to sing. The only way to get better vocals is another vocalist  ;D

Thanks again!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
Hi Skogge - I loved this.

First the lyrics - "too common for the arts / but too strange for the herd" - that's brilliantly put.

And the production has this really original (I think) fusion of synthpop and what I would describe as a European folk beat. The bounciness really works and it kept my interest until the chorus lines.

Great listen!

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »
Hi Skogge - I loved this.

First the lyrics - "too common for the arts / but too strange for the herd" - that's brilliantly put.

And the production has this really original (I think) fusion of synthpop and what I would describe as a European folk beat. The bounciness really works and it kept my interest until the chorus lines.

Great listen!

Thank you oh so much! I really love it when people finds something beyond the eightiesness synthpop-galore. I have a musical background which involves listening to indie-pop-rock-grunge-sing/song-kraut-beatles-Beach Boys-Burt Bacharach-experimental-country and a whole lot of other things. I´ve been trying to write music in a whole lot of different genres but I never felt that I contributed to anything of value. But now I think I found "something" that works for me, this blend of synthpop and the other influences that I also feel is a bit original. I will continue working in this vein to see where it might lead.
I am glad you enjoyed this one :D <3

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »
I love the idea and the lyrics but, for me, the overall song lacks a little focus. This may be nothing more than it being just about as far from being "my thing" as it is possible to get. I suspect it's perfect for it's intent. I'd love to hear it in a stripped down form just to really get a feel for the song without the production. Lovely idea, though, and don't take my comments with any value - my favourite songwriters tend to just have an acoustic guitar and nothing else!

Good work!

Derek
West Country Country Boy

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
Loved the production, nothing like what I would do but very effective and professionally finished off.

I agree with others that the song itself didn't really grab me. There were lots of good lines in the lyrics but I didn't really get a repeating hook that sold me the song.

Thought it was sung really well and look forward to hearing more from you.

Tom.

lennystone

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
Definitely a unique sound - to me it sounds like 80's pop with a little mix of reggae. The song has a lot of energy, sometimes it was hard to keep up because of that, there was just a lot going on. But if anything, really ear catching.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
fun with a serious theme.
well done!!
this song would be a fine gem on any album!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:56:28 PM »
Really liking this one!
Retro without feeling conceited. I love the female vocal layering on top in places. The synths are all great fun AND relevant to your sound and feel.

Additional sounds such as the filter sweep synth at 2.40 work really nicely with the piece.
There is a lot of pop sensibility here, while still staying unique.
There is one chord change which is rather unexpected. It come around a few times and stood out for me. Wasn't sure about it, but might just need acclimatising :)

General thumbs up from me!
JNx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk