THE NEW WINTER / SPRING / VALENTINE'S COMPETITION - WINNER AND RESULTS are in!

• 119 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
So with all votes counted and verified and a very close finish I'm delighted to announce the results:

In 1st: Tboswell: Bittersweet Lady

In 2nd: Digger & Katya: Mono No Aware

In 3rd: Shadowfax (featuring Wim): Showing Me the Way

And an honorable mention for 4th: Delyb0y: Unknown Man #89

In a lovely twist (hoho), all the rest of us were tied in 5th place...

Thanks everyone for entering and voting it's been a great one! Congratulations to the winners, the runners up and really the entire forum for doing this in the way that no-one else can.

Cheers everyone. Looking forward to another one soon!

Hi All - after the recent debate, here we go - a new competition to get the creative juices going during the Winter Months...

"The Rules"

The theme is a happy love song, with as much of a twist as you would like.

A new song please!

Open to all current forum members no matter how many posts etc.

Entries to be submitted by 29th February 2016.

The ideal would be to have as many collaborations as possible, makes it more interesting. But no pressure and solo entries are fine. One colab and one solo for each member.

Please add your name to this thread if you're in. If you do want to team up with someone, say what you offer (e.g. lyrics, melody, instruments, vocals, music theory, production capability) and what you'd like from the colaborator. I/we will try to match you with someone if you can't easily find one.

Please put Lyrics, WIP and Finished songs into the relevant thread on the forum, as usual, not here. For voting we'll gather them all together here.

Update 01-03-2016 - here is the "final" list of entrants! (alphabetical by song title - please let me know asap if anyone missed, wrong versions, broken links etc.)

Vote will be for your top 3 in order of preference: please PM both "adamfarr" and "Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra" by end of day on UPDATE 16-03-2016 Wednesday!

Everyone on the list below must vote (hurrah!) but not for themselves (boo!). And everyone else who reads this should listen and vote too...

In my humble opinion voters should be looking mainly at concept, melody, lyrics and structure - this should be all about the songs.

I might put together a Soundcloud playlist but maybe not as that disadvantages those who aren't on that platform (happy to do in another place if any ideas). Otherwise just keep clicking below. You'll be pleased you did, as you will find the most varied and creative collection of styles and ideas.

Good luck and thanks to all entrants for making this competition such an inspiration and showing off the talent around this forum!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:46:01 PM by adamfarr »

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »
Well done for getting on top of this Adam. I'll co-organise with you if I qualify. Just tell me what to do!

I am working on a song which broadly fits the theme so I'll enter that if it's finished by then. This will be a solo-ish effort although i will be trying to get someone (female) to sing it for me.

I'll stick my neck out and say I'm up for a collab too if anybody wants to work with me. Either your lyric to my music or a joint overall song collab...whatever. Nobody wants me to sing on their song obviously but I can play a bit of harmonica and juggle 3 clementines though this might not be apparent on the finished recording.

Anyway i'm in solo definitely and I'll co-organise if you want so that you can enter.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
VC - that's brilliant, also because you have been around here longer and so might able to help match people up if they need it. After that the main duty will probably be for receiving and counting the votes so I don't think it will be too onerous.

Of course that means our collaboration will have to wait for another time but I don't think I'm the vocalist you were after  ;)

So I definitely accept, many thanks!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
Nice one Adam. Count me in. I'm also up for colabs if that entails dodgy lyrics, tobacco enhanced vocals or dodgy guitar  :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
Well, I was in until I read "happy..." - unless the twist part can be that it's not happy! :)

I just can't write happy songs no matter how much I try.

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
I'll try an entry. Happy is hard for me too but it's good to go outside of your comfort zone! I'm far too unreliable for colabs though
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
I know, I know, but I think it's kind of the point that the comp should force us to do something different from what we do the rest of the year!

Like NeilC perhaps we can look on it as if we've been commissioned to do a special piece...

Maybe finding some happy colaborators could be a solution? Possibly hard to find around this forum though ...  ;)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Challenge accepted. Count me and Katja in.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
Adam,
I'll be in for a collab and a personal entry.
Are you going to propose collaborations? I'll like to work with singer/lyricasts/musicians perhaps someone I've not worked with before.
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 07:27:26 AM »
Neil - yes, I think if we get all the early requests in then we can try to match people up. I think I'd give it till Christmas and then see what we have.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 07:33:28 AM »
By the way, I will go for a solo entry and would also like to collaborate with a proper keyboard/piano player and/or a female vocalist (seems to be a shortage of those at the mo).
Cheers

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
Thanks for taking this on Adam and Viscount :) I'm in for a solo entry  :o

@ digger :) HAPPY is relative and so is twist, so I wouldn't fret too much about it  :o

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:12 AM »
I want to get in on this. I would love a collab--have never done one. I can offer work on lyrics, melody, chord progressions, female vocals (high tenor, low alto range). Maybe some rhythm guitar and/or keyboard bass. I am not much good with production, though. So far.

I would love to collab with someone who is good with lyrics, melody, vocals, instruments, and production. Really, all of the above (first paragraph), but my most critical need is production, in case anyone only wants to do that part. But it would be nicer to collaborate in more areas than that.

I never write love songs, so this will be different for me.

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Hi All
I added a list of prospective entrants to the first post above. For colaborations please do talk, or we can also make some suggestions if needed.
All the best with it!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
I'm willing to collab with anyone on the list and will try to provide whatever you need (except production, which I just haven't been able to get figured out yet). You can find examples of my songwriting on my soundcloud account (link in my signature). Most of the songs there are drafts, so keep that in mind, but you can hear my voice on the solo pieces and some examples of my writing, so you can decide if you would like to collab with me.

I have an idea for a lyric and it does have a twist. :) Anyone interested?