konalavadome

Recommended Posting Procedures?

• 2 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
I haven't been active here very long (only since December), and I have a question about the most appropriate and/or most effective approach to posting songs. I know it's important to provide feedback, first of all, although I feel very uncertain about that because I am so far away from being any kind of expert. I see feedback from others, and I just don't hear things like they do. I always think I'm going to say something totally wrong. Still, I do go ahead and give my opinions, knowing recipients are free to ignore them.

For posting my own songs, though. Is it best to post the lyrics in the "Lyrics" forum first, then go to the "...Works in Progress", and finally to "...Finished Songs"? Frankly, I'm not likely ever to get as far as finished songs, as I am no good at production, so all I have are simple songs with me strumming guitar and singing.

What I've done so far is post in lyrics if I think I still need work on the lyrics OR if I have no melody yet. And I start directly with works in progress if I want feedback on the lyrics and the melody both. Does that work okay, or should I try a different approach? Or does it not really matter?

Vicki

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
Hi Vicki

It's up to you. If you feel the song is as finished as you can make it, post in the finished forum. If you want feedback on just the lyrics, post in the lyrics forum. If the song moves between unfinished and finished states, then start in one and move to the other.

Also, don't worry about not being an 'expert' - your opinions as a listener are extremely valuable. You've been listening to music all your life, so you probably have more to say than you realise.

:)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
A non audiophile's opinion is more important than an actual audiophile's opinion IMHO...
us audiophiles listen just a bit too much and after all..most music is listened to by non audiophiles who enjoy the vibe/sound/rhythm etc...
good advice from Tone regarding the other stuff..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!