konalavadome

3 Traps Songwriters Fall Into

• 57 Replies

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
3 Traps Songwriters Fall Into (from fb.com/holisticsongwriting)

Let me know what your thoughts are please :)

Here’s 3 things songwriters do that keep them from rising to pro level.

1. Saying Too Much

Who hasn’t heard of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)?

The concept is clear and widely known. But unfortunately, knowing and understanding are two very different things. Listen to your last song for a moment and tell me: Could it be made simpler, more straight-forward?

Experience tells me that there’s always a way to simplify, or, as I like to call it, get to the core of the song. Take out a couple bass drums. Let the bass follow the kick. Experiment until you find the simplest, best solution and take out whatever you don’t need.

I do this when I get to mixing. I’ll go through each track and mute it to see what it does to the song. More often than not, I’ll wind up several regions throughout the whole song, which makes my mixing easier and thereby improves my whole sound.

So what do you listen for? You listen for the groove. If it doesn’t add to the groove (meaning the flow of your song) it’s clutter and you need to take it out.

If you start bobbing your head as soon as you take something out, that’s a clear sign that it should stay out. Your only alternative is to work on the timing and see if you can get that groove back.

2. Hooks Don‘t Hook

Many songwriters rely too much on their hooks. This is not a huge mistake in itself, hooks are very important, but they are only one of 3 important factors when it comes to songwriting.

The other two factors are Groove and Lyric-Less Storytelling. Without these, your song will never reach its potential, no matter how great your hook.

Why? Because your audience won’t even get to your hook. They will turn your track off. And that’s death.

Think about it: Why do you think A&Rs only listen to the first 15 seconds of a track? They listen to 3 things: 1) Is the production on par, 2) does it sound like this year and 3) is it interesting to listen to?

If your song isn’t captivating, you got yourself a big problem, because you will lose your audience before they’ve even heard your singer’s first line.

Your way out of this problem is Lyric-Less Storytelling, which is the process of taking your audience by the hand and leading them through the song.

Skilled Lyric-Less Storytelling relies on subtle, psychological principles that subconsciously capture your audience’s attention and keep it until the very end of the song.

3. Overwriting

We already talked about KISS, now let’s talk about it’s brother, overwriting (I don’t really have a cool abbreviation for this one. S.T.Y.F.I.? Stick To Your First Idea?).

If you’re like most songwriters, then it will sometimes take you weeks or months to finish a song. And when you write on a song for a very long time, something happens:

You get bored with it and you decide to change what was working.

This is a big problem in electronic music especially, where songwriters let their songs mutate into over-complicated constructs with way too many clever bits.

Focus on what’s important. Songwriting is an emotion game. You’re not speaking to the logical brain of your audience so don’t make it more “interesting”, make it more straight-forward.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:32:56 PM by Friedemann »
"You got to sound gefährlich"

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
Some good advice here Friedemann.
I would leave the bit about the girlfriend talking though :)

Friedemann

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
Haha, alright, thank you Paulski, I'll edit it out.

Was all in good fun - love my girl ;)

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »
Hi Friedemann

Your idea of song writing seems different to mine, I think what you're talking about is computer based song construction using midi loop/samples etc which is not song writing to me. You seem to be talking about the "no strings or keys were harmed in the making of this song" kind of thing. To be honest I found the whole article slightly bizarre but I guess some will find it useful   ???

And to keep it simple, just tell everyone to listen to Chuck Berry and if their head bobs then they know what a great simple groove is  ;D

Friedemann

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »
Hi DevyE!

Yes, true. I write most of my songs directly in my sequencer, which is standard practice today. I don't use loops much (maybe once every 50 songs) but I do use samples a lot, combined with recorded instruments.

I started out writing in Guitar Pro, which has a similar concept (even though the samples are shittier). If you haven't tried writing with a sequencer, I highly recommend it. It is enormously freeing and fun. It is when I feel my most creative.

In a way, it's all just arrangement of notes. Whether that's on my own guitar or by arranging MIDI data, I'm still writing melodies, chords and grooves. MIDI and samples don't automatically mean "loop", in fact most sound libraries can be used to play pretty much anything you could play on the instrument itself.

Hope this helps to understand my way of thinking a little better. ;) Take care & thanks for the comment!

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
For those wanting their music to be heard by a more people than a few Song writing anoraks on the internet - LOL ;). I read a quote recently by a song writing reviewer who said most of the amateur stuff he listens to seems to be written by people living in the past and he can almost tell a persons age by the style of song they have submitted. Basically he is saying that a lot of stuff sounds dated. So for those wanting to go to the next level I think its important to start listening to a bit more modern stuff and incorporating a few modern touches to their songs. Retro can be cool but it needs to be fresh.

I also saw on one of Friedmann you tube Videos him mention about songs with guitar solos and how unfashionable they were....... just a small example of the little touches that are required to fine tune a song to make it better.

Friedemann

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
@Morefrog Jones: You hit the nail on the head. Although I don't know about "better", certainly more fasionable though ;)

I for one miss a couple of the "oldies", like the ride cymbal, melodic melodies (sounds weird, right?) and multi-layered lyrics.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »
Sorry DevyE,

this is a good example of all 3 of Friedemann's tips plus a couple he didn't mention.

Keith

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Guitar solo RIP?
 :D
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Guitar solo RIP?
 :D
Neil

I dont think its dead - its just resting :)

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
Dated I can be - who is the best contemporary songwriter to listen to for inspiration , remembering i'm a pale stale male that cant sing the blues or rap?
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
Dated I can be - who is the best contemporary songwriter to listen to for inspiration , remembering i'm a pale stale male that cant sing the blues or rap?

I suppose Ed Shearan is popular but quite traditional in style.
His songs get the modern full treatment but its basically him and his guitar.

Friedemann

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
@Mickeytwonames: Check out Max Martin or Doctor Luke, two of the biggest songwriters out there. Artists to listen to: Go on youtube and search for "Billboard Charts", they make a new playlist every week and it is VERY worth listening to to see what's going on out there.

@Everyone else: Remember that Holistic Songwriting is targeted at the modern market. There are thousands of great older songs out there that don't follow today's "rules" (whatever you wanna call it). Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight" would never make the charts today. The times have just changed. Music, like fashion is art and like art it changes its zeitgeist.

That doesn't mean Chuck Berry isn't great anymore, just that if you wanted to make a living writing Chuck Berry-esque songs you would probably have a very hard time.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
Just listened to a summary of the Billboard top 50 on youtube. All 50 songs in 12 minutes. Very interesting. The secret to chart success seems to be, sell songs to Justin Bieber, Fetty Wap or One Direction.

Noticed one or two country songs on the chart whose roots include Chuck Berry. Writing Chuck Berry-esque songs doesn't mean you have to sound like him.

No Lana Del Rey but a couple of imitators.

Adele number 1. I had one of my teeth filled to Hello. A surreal experience.

At number 30 a religious song. Unfortunately it wasn't a patch on the Soul Stirrers or even Jim Reeves.

All in all a dispiriting 12 minutes, most of the songs sounded the same. Nothing stood out to me as great.

Keith

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »
Hi Friedemann

I think you may have misunderstood me, my feedback wasn't aimed at you personally but thanks for the insight into the way you work. You asked for our thoughts on the article and that is what I gave, I'll try and clarify my thoughts here but please remember you did ask for them.

Firstly, I do use hardware/software sequencers and do agree they are a lot of fun, I use them mainly for drums/percussion/strings etc on my humble tunes.

What I was trying to say is that in my opinion there is a difference between song writing and music creation in a sequencer or daw which is what the article appeared to be about to me. Yes wonderful results can be achieved with music creation and if you're chasing the cash then it can be caught. But
I'm old school and not chasing the cash so song writing to me is trying to capture something on my guitar and then using all of this fantastic technology to try and bring it to life. As I said just my opinion.

The advice in your article was all very sound to me although I'm sure many of us have read/heard it a multitude of times before but there's nothing wrong in reading it again. But what I was trying to say (bizarre may not have been a good word) was that I thought the tone of the article was a little patronising, so when you write your next article please talk to your audience and not down at them.  Again just my opinion and others may believe differently and did learn something new too which is great.

And Chuck was only mentioned as light hearted comment :)
All the best
DevyE