konalavadome

123 Posters

• 25 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
I'm becoming increasingly honest with my reviews. But I've reviewed many songs over time. I used to worry about upsetting writers but no one really benefits unless the reviewer rolls their sleeves up and gets down to the nitty gritty. In fact, I think I'll review less songs but start to give  an in depth critique from now on. That way one or two people will benefit from a more meaningful reviews than I currently provide. I'll try to be as polite as possible and hope my approach isn't interpreted as arrogance.

Paul

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
Good point Paul! As long as you honestly express what you 'like' as well this is a really good idea imo!
Quality over quantity and let the posting songwriter decide how to use all these appreciations/critiques...
On the other hand sometimes I find songs that catch me right away and then most of the times I quickly express it was a hit to me and I have no suggestions... That's a great thing for the writer to hear as well I believe.
MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
I admit that I am guilty of not giving as much feedback as I receive, and I feel badly about it.
I simply feel that, in order to give CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, I need to listen to a song carefully, at least 2 or 3 times. And I frequently either have a hard time finding time to do that or just don't have the damn attention span. (Sucks, but it's true.)
Of course, I have only posted a couple of my own songs for feedback in all the time that I have been here, and usually stick to the forums, like this one, where we just kinda talk.
But I will, at least for a little while, try to go and give some more feedback in the songs forums.
I will.
I promise.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
Best way is..don't comment on their work until they've commented on yours..they will soon get the picture or disappear..
 :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »
Hi, I've been posting and reviewing on this excellent forum for nearly three years. Early on I definitely suffered from the feeling that I couldn't add much to some of the more erudite and experienced reviewers and I was guilty of posting my stuff and not reviewing as much as I should have. Thankfully people were patient with me until it became clear to me how it all worked. So I would tend to give the benefit to new posters, although I think I can usually tell from the 'get go' How the story will go with individuals. The good guys tend to stick around and are constructive and helpful, the others who make cheap jibes and uncomplimentary slights and comments tend to disappear over time, usually fairly quickly. I hope we don't need new rules because for me, this forum works well because of the ethos of having minimal rules and allowing sensible people to work it out for themselves. Tone and the mods (good name for a band) do a good job and there are only a couple of times a year where things get out of hand.
Just my observations!
Cheers
Jamie

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »
I admit that I am guilty of not giving as much feedback as I receive, and I feel badly about it.
I simply feel that, in order to give CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, I need to listen to a song carefully, at least 2 or 3 times. And I frequently either have a hard time finding time to do that or just don't have the damn attention span. (Sucks, but it's true.)
Of course, I have only posted a couple of my own songs for feedback in all the time that I have been here, and usually stick to the forums, like this one, where we just kinda talk.
But I will, at least for a little while, try to go and give some more feedback in the songs forums.
I will.
I promise.
Love the honesty in your message. Nobody's guilty as long as we are ourselves imo PopTodd! Great this thread inspired you to choose quality over quantity imo!

Best way is..don't comment on their work until they've commented on yours..they will soon get the picture or disappear..
 :) :)
Everybody has his/her own way, and I completely understand yours Kevin. Hope we all welcome the new members though... I feel there's some room between 'getting the picture' and 'being ignored' or 'disappearing'.  ;-)

Hi, I've been posting and reviewing on this excellent forum for nearly three years. Early on I definitely suffered from the feeling that I couldn't add much to some of the more erudite and experienced reviewers and I was guilty of posting my stuff and not reviewing as much as I should have. Thankfully people were patient with me until it became clear to me how it all worked. So I would tend to give the benefit to new posters, although I think I can usually tell from the 'get go' How the story will go with individuals. The good guys tend to stick around and are constructive and helpful, the others who make cheap jibes and uncomplimentary slights and comments tend to disappear over time, usually fairly quickly. I hope we don't need new rules because for me, this forum works well because of the ethos of having minimal rules and allowing sensible people to work it out for themselves. Tone and the mods (good name for a band) do a good job and there are only a couple of times a year where things get out of hand.
Just my observations!
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks for sharing what you felt in the beginning (being a bit layed-back considering commenting, being not sure if you added value). The difference with the 123 posters is they don't care about adding value and I'd trust my 'guts' on that as well. So I'm really glad you're with us here! To be honest (as a relatively new member), I don't know what to add in a lot of cases as well... But I keep trying and I love to hear you're doing that as well.
Completely agree we need as less rules as possible. Thanks for sharing Jamie!

To everyone: May I ask to hear from you what your feeling considering this subject? We can learn some valuable lessons from this discussion I believe, so thanks PJ for starting this!

Have a good night fellows!
MM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:46:34 AM by MartiMedia »

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 06:27:42 AM »
Really interesting discussion. As a newbie I thought I'd share my experiences.

So I've been here about 2 months, and I feel like I've got to know the regulars; so much so that I can target my reviews to those I know that review others. There is a small team of core reviewers who show up on most of the reviews, and I prioritise giving this guys feedback.

Everybody has his/her own way, and I completely understand yours Kevin. Hope we all welcome the new members though... I feel there's some room between 'getting the picture' and 'being ignored' or 'disappearing'.  ;-)

Definitely. It's a daunting experience at first, you want to become part of the community, but what if they don't like my feedback?

Also, when you hear the fantastic quality of the work (eg Boydie), you automatically think "does he want to hear what I've got to say?" Or "can I add anything?" There is so much amazing work by the regulars, and you worry about offending them or trying too hard to get in the group!!

But I've found, that being here now a couple of months, I've chilled out on this. But I suppose some might not stick around that long and be scared off?

Just a few thoughts...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
The trick has to be to give the feedback for their benefit not yours. The interesting thing is analysing other peoples song, will I am sure help you to be a better writer. We probably all start from being unconsciously incompetent...
 :)
Neil 

songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 08:15:42 AM »
we probably all start from being unconsciously incompetent...

That is a great point and something definitely worth adding to this discussion to understand the "journey" of a member that sticks around

For those unfamiliar with this model of learning something and getting good at at:

A good example is driving a car:

UNCONSCIOUSLY INCOMPETENT
- before we learn to drive we have no idea that we can't do it. This usually means we don't - thankfully! In songwriting it might mean that we are writing songs but we don't realise they are not very good

CONSCIOUSLY INCOMPETENT
- after our first few driving lessons we realise that we can't drive and it is actually quite difficult! In songwriting this is usually the experience of new members who start to hear what others are producing and it can be a de-motivating time. This (for me) is where the forum really brings people on. ALL of the feedback I have received and continue to receive is the ONLY reason I have improved since joining. The generous time given by others (especially JAMES NIGHTHAWK and others for production advice and other different members I particularly look out for on other aspects - both old and new) have enabled me to grow so I am keen to find any opportunities to do the same for other members in this situation - we were all "consciously incompetent" and one point and it is a horrible period of realisation that you are "not as good as you want to be" - but it is probably the most important part of your development (although it really sucks at the time!)

CONSCIOUSLY COMPETENT
 - so you have just passed your driving test so you can "drive" but you still need to think about when to change gear and remember to check mirrors etc. In songwriting this is where you really think about songwriting and think through what chord progression you will use, look for the "rules" to apply that other great songs use, think about what frequencies to cut using EQ (and probably using a frequency chart to look up what frequencies to boost to give a vocal some sparkle etc.)

This is a great phase and one that you will keep coming back to when you want to learn something new or step out of your comfort zone

UNCONSCIOUSLY COMPETENT - the holy grail when it just happens. Back to the driving analogy...this is where you just jump in to the car and drive without even thinking about it. It can be dangerous place to be as you now think you can drive, listen to the radio, make a phone call, programme the satnav, eat a packet of crisps, have a drink and text someone all at once!

It is the same with songwriting - this is the phase where it all just happens without thinking and the music theory you have learnt, the countless songs you have listened to over the years and the production knowledge you have picked up all come together without thinking and you write and record song in a few hours. The same dangers apply though and you may be unconsciously using the same chord progressions, the same production techniques, the same rhymes or lyrics, phrases etc.

In this case you may slip right back to "UNCONSCIOUSLY INCOMPETENT" - but at a higher level - and so the cycle continues

The other major benefit of this forum is that the reviews can help you avoid this so rather than falling back to the beginning you may read a review that says "the chorus needs to "pop" more and have more of a lift" - this one comment might make you review your song with fresher ears and realise that you could use a different approach to make the chorus lift - so you just fall back to "Consciously Competent" as you try to improve that song - or the next one

I automatically asses where I think someone is in this model (with my unconscious competence  ;) ) and tailor my reviews accordingly. If it is clearly a beginner that may not realise there songs are not great I will gently try to get them to realise that they could improve and point out some areas they may want to look at

If it is someone that is "consciously incompetent" I will try to be more specific about areas to focus on. However these are the ones I will likely give shorter reviews to - especially if it is a first time (or 123) poster that comes across that they think they are something special (eg the "here is the new single from my album" - and it is a dodgy iPhone recording!!)

If it is someone I think is "Consciously Competent" I will try to listen out for the things I can tell they have worked hard on achieving (eg getting a good kick and bass sound or a clever lyric) but also try to give some more "opinion based" ideas - eg "if it were me I would..."

We often have the discussion about whether to review the song, lyrics, production, performance etc.

We all have our own favourite areas to talk about so I think things generally balance out - I naturally gravitate toward performance and production as I find it difficult critiquing in detail something so subjective and personal as the song itself but will try to give my general opinion

A bit of a lengthy one but NEIL C mentioning this model really made me realise how important it can be to understanding where everyone is on their journey and then tailoring the review to fit
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
I remember someone who early on posted "I feel the need to be brutally honest". They did come out with some fairly frightening Simon Cowell esque judgements for a while but very soon became much more open minded... It's a process everyone goes through in a different way I think.

Personally, after a little while of commenting I realised that almost noone around here thinks they are better than others, but are just at different stages of the consciousness/competence journey (a very nice way to look at it). As a Taekwondo instructor once said "if someone has a higher belt it's not that they are better than you, it's just that they've been doing it for longer".

Importantly I think almost everyone knows that whatever stage we are at, we always are learning and appreciate others' listening (so if I listen I try always to comment).

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 11:27:22 PM »
Excellent model Boydie, thanks for sharing that (inspired by Neil C ;-)) Thanks for sharing!
I remember someone who early on posted "I feel the need to be brutally honest". They did come out with some fairly frightening Simon Cowell esque judgements for a while but very soon became much more open minded... It's a process everyone goes through in a different way I think.

Personally, after a little while of commenting I realised that almost noone around here thinks they are better than others, but are just at different stages of the consciousness/competence journey (a very nice way to look at it). As a Taekwondo instructor once said "if someone has a higher belt it's not that they are better than you, it's just that they've been doing it for longer".

Importantly I think almost everyone knows that whatever stage we are at, we always are learning and appreciate others' listening (so if I listen I try always to comment).
I couldn't agree more with your conclusion, well said!

Does anybody have other thoughts about this subject of 123Posters? If so, please share them! Or is everything already said?
MM