Hello I'm a songwriter too

• 7 Replies

Harbidge

• Busker
  • keep keepin' on, aint that the truth.
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »
Hi

My name is james I am 30, live near Birmingham and have been writing songs for 17 years or more.  I write a few different styles; Rock, Country, Folk, Blues and Guitar Pop.  I have a back catalogue of over 70 songs and have had a little successes along the way but no big break through.

My biggest achievement was licensing a song to Harley Davidson for a world wide ad campaign.  It was used on TV, in sports stadiums and in showrooms.  If you google Third Bullet Harley Davidson the commercial should pop up on youtube.  I have also been played on many radio stations nationwide and some in europe with various bands Ive been in and have been playlisted on one.

I've had the usual dealings with record companies, major and independant, but never had a deal.

I am now at the age where all the musical people I knew/know are getting married and having kids and dont have the time or energy to commit to music seriously so I have decided to go it alone as an acoustic singer songwiter.  I'm pretty nervous about this as I have always had at least one person to perform with and have only performed on my own once.

I am trying to get 5 songs together for an EP at the moment and seem to be going down the Bob Dylan meets Ryan Adams route with the softness of Damien Rice.

I would love to share ideas, see how you get your inspiration, how you structure songs and maybe get to record with a few people.

Thanks for having me on here. 

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
Hi James

Thanks for the detailed introduction - you've already had an interesting musical journey. Being a singer-songwriter can be tough at times, but on the plus side, you get complete control of your material and performance. Your new project sounds right up my street actually :)

So glad you decided to join us; looking forward to your contributions.

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
Thanks Tone

Im lookin forward to getting stuck in.  Especially the recording forum, I used to have a studio with a great friend so I have loads of cheats and tips.  Cant wait to do some reviewing either.

kicked

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Hello Harbidge

Hope you get your EP together,I have never played with any other musicians, personally,so I would imagine it is a little daunting on your own,
            but I bet you will soon get used to it. I'm in the same position as you,loads of material and not enough time to do it all.

good luck for now and the future

kicked

sae66

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:40:33 AM »
Hi James i used to live in Birmingham but have moved to bromsgrove be interested to listen to some more of your songs .Are they posted anywhere else ?

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »
Hi James i used to live in Birmingham but have moved to bromsgrove be interested to listen to some more of your songs .Are they posted anywhere else ?

Ive put a selection of the songs I've written here http://soundcloud.com/harbidge  There are a few pop songs, metal songs, country songs and a few good old rock songs.  I have tons more recorded but these are my faves.

Where is there to play in Bromsgrove?

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »
Nice one James... quality package here... you've a great voice, a clear and confident vocal style, reliable and consistent quality songwriting, great recordings... looks like its only a matter of time for you, dude. Absolute best of luck. I'll certainly be enjoying your tunes again.

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:35 PM »
Hi Spacedog

Thanks for the kind words.  My songwriting partner Paul sings on a couple of those tunes. We share the vocals, he has a great voice but isnt that productive, except on the metal tunes and thats all me.

Ive resigned myself to never being spotted.  Im just happy writing and recording regardless of any "interst".

Im up to 6 tunes for my singer songwriter debut, cant wait to get that done.  Just need 4 more.