konalavadome

When You Gotta Rock

• 15 Replies

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to let people know I am still here but been really busy with work.  That may change in a month or so, hopefully, but in the meantime here's a rocking tune to blow the cobwebs away :-)
GTB

https://soundcloud.com/gtbr/when-you-gotta-rock-18-10-2015-1750
GTB

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
I was drawn into your post by the title. Great start, we're straight into the dual guitars of Maiden or Lizzy. Like the quiet bit around 2:10 which reminds me of Wishbone Ash. It's a beautiful contrast with the main theme. There's some blazing guitar after this, you're obviously very talented. It's a good arrangement and the simple lyric works well.
The only thing that could improve this song would be a more aggressive vocal.
Great to hear some rock on here.

Best Wishes
Mo

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Ah, you flatter me with those comparisons mr mondo bongo, made my day πŸ˜ƒ
My singing is rubbish, l know, so one of these days I'll get someone else to do that but people who can sing are in big demand these days.
GTB
GTB

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 04:27:23 PM »
i think there'd be loads of singers who'd love to get their chops around such a great guitar-fest as this!

good luck finding one...the song is definitely worth it  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
Many thanks Paul, I'll be sure to post if that happens πŸ˜€
GTB

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
Hey gtb,

Great, great... GREAT guitars. Not heard a song like that for a while on here. This needs to be played live, so hopefully you've got some outlets for that?

Lyrically I'd suggest looking at the chorus, perhaps for me this is a slightly overused phrase? How about something like "When they say to rock, tell them to roll". Suddenly turns the phrase on its head and the song becomes a commentary on the big bad music labels who just want fashionable sexy people playing 'Rock'

Just my opinion, I'm sure many others on here will love the lyrics and tell me to shut up  ;D

Look forward to hearing the finished article

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 03:10:18 PM »
Great Guitar work. I feel humbled when I listen to some of the stuff on this forum, There is a lot of talent out there.

Love this as a rocker - Nice one !

John

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
Many thanks Oliver & Pompeyjazz. I had a crazy idea to see how many songs I could write with the "Rock" in the title, did about 6 πŸ˜ƒ, so far. Good suggestion for the lyrics but I think I'll keep this one a simple headbanger. I've got loads of cynicism in my other songs 😏  Thanks though, all suggestions welcome.

Unfortunately my band only do covers so I'll have to save it for now 😁
GTB

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
Shame... Hey, sneak the song in and see if anyone notices!!!

Cheers mate

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:12:03 PM »
I really liked this one.  I also liked that you are writing themed songs with "rock" in the title.  I like doing that too. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks Verlon (hope you're well), I'll post some of the others when back fron holiday 😎
GTB
GTB

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 12:16:22 AM »
Fun rocker tune - love the parallel thirds.
Nice change up in the tempo at 2:30.
Reminded me of the 60's - acid rock

nice one
Paul

danieltrigger

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »
I very much enjoyed the music, guitars, the whole backing track in general - very much in the style of 70's rock as the guys have already pointed out. And done extremely well!

I agree with the train of thought to address the vocals, maybe with a different singer or whatever, that was the only weak area for me. But from my point of view, there is a need for this kind of new music, which sadly appears less and less these days!

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
Thanks Paul, I guess if you remember the 60s you weren't there - before your time obviously πŸ˜‰

Thanks for commenting Daniel, I decided we need more new 'old' stuff so looked back and stole a few techniques and this came out. I've got about 5 more like this in progress and hope to get a band together for them πŸ˜€

I'm afraid this is as good as vocals get with me singing BUT, I have someone who volunteered to sing this one so I'm hoping that works out - AND, I just paid for vox on another song which wasn't cheap but the result is awesome! I'll be posting that soon and I'm saving pennies to get another 5 done to complete my EP, "Lupus" 🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸
GTB
GTB

jonlint

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
Really cool song idea!  The vocals need work and some mixing (comp/EQ/mix volume - which is too high for me).  Unfortunately these days, people expect songs to be 100% perfect since everyone is doing so in their bedroom on computers.  I would comp the vocals and add some backing vocals.  The backing track is spot on - perfect 70s feel - except for the drums.  The drums could do with more ambience/room sound - more Led Zep type sound.

Keep at it - cool song!  Rock on \m/