konalavadome

How to write song without knowing an instrument

• 15 Replies

williery10

• Busker
« on: October 17, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
Hi there,
tunes have been popping into my head for years and I have been recording the melodies on my phone. I have completed the lyrics to a good few too. I have been trying to learn the guitar but I just cant find the time to practice enough to get enough level to be able to identfy chords that go well with the melody of the songs.

What are my options?

Does a facility/service exist where you can send your melody to someone online and have them write out and play the basics of the song?

I am not looking to start a band or anything, I just want to finish the songs.

All advice welcome,
Thanks

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Hi,

If you want to be a songwriter long term then you really have to be able to play rudimentary keyboards or guitar. I don't believe there is a substitute and you will find it immensely rewarding. The only alternative I can think of is to use the smart instrument function of garageband for ipad. This is an inexpensive, high sound quality and very clever piece of software. Good luck.

M
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:19:01 PM by montydog »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »
Off course there are services that will will write a melody add, harmony, (chords) and play all of the instruments to complete the production of your song. It's not difficult to find such services. A Google search should give you all of the information that you need. There are many writers on this forum who could do the same for you. However, I've got to say you'll feel much happier with yourself and  more of a songwriter if you at least learn how to write the chords and vocal melody to match your lyrics. It will take time to master these skills but once you know how, you'll experience a lifetime of enjoyment. In my opinion, that's what songwriters do - they are so passionate about their craft, that they spend a lifetime, learning as much about songwriting as they can. Success isn't guaranteed, in fact, it's very unlikely but the rewards are there if you put the work in! Anything worth achieving requires the individual to work at it - but don't view it as work - enjoy the journey!

Paul

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »
This is a service I could offer you, and I have done it for many others

I could take your melody and lyric from a rough recording (eg you just singing in to a phone) and turn it in to a full "radio ready" production

There is obviously a lot of time and effort involved (working out the chords, recording and writing instrument parts, recording the vocal parts, producing the song, mixing the song and then mastering the song) so a fee would need to be paid to compensate for the time it would take - but I would be a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring a studio, session musicians, producer etc. - it would need to be in the region of £150 per song

Send me a PM if you want to talk further...

I would say however that I disagree slightly with the others about using this approach (and this has nothing to do with me trying to get the "sale" as I really don't mind if you use me or not)

There is definitely a reward in completing a whole song on your own

However, if you have written the melody and the lyrics then you have technically written the "song" as these are the only aspects that fall under copyright

Finding someone else to do the other parts to make a complete song is absolutely fine IMHO if you do not currently have the skills (or experience, or equipment etc.) to do it on your own

You will learn as you go along so may be able to build up the skills as you go along but I am sure you will get the same sense of accomplishment (possibly more so) when you get YOUR song delivered back to you as a finished product

When I have done session playing in the past the writer has always been blown away with hearing their song recorded "properly" to their "vision"

I guess it is similar to coming up with a screenplay for a movie - it is still your "idea" but it will obviously be enhanced and tweaked by an editor, director, musical score, sound fx, visual fx, post production etc.

Going to the premiere and seeing other people enjoying the movie must give the same "buzz" for the person that wrote the screenplay, the director, the costume people etc. etc.

The "end result" is the key and how you get there and what other talents you use to make it the best it can be is the important thing
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
I think Boydie's offer of £150 for a fully produced song is very fair. There is so much that goes into this process. if you find someone with the skills and the desire to present a top quality production then it's worthwhile. I'd recommend taking up the offer but keep an eye on acquiring the skills for future productions. I've been down both routes and gained much more satisfaction from learning how to write and produce all aspects myself.  Warning - if you decide to pursue the latter route, you'll find that it takes up all of your free time  :D and in that context, Boydie's service, is worth paying for!

williery10

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:45:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. You have given me much food for thought. Boydie, I will definately consider your offer as it does seem extremely reasonable.

Cheers

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »
I should have included the other option, which I missed because it was too obvious  ::)

You could look for a collaborator that has the skills you need

As you have already written the "song" you would need to agree a % split - however this is a lot of work for the "producer" and the chances of a song making £££ is extremely remote (this isn't a judgement on your song - the chances of ANY song written by an unknown writer has a ridiculously small chance of making any money)

Finding someone who wants to practice their production skills might also be a cheaper option (eg uni students, other hobbyists) but the quality may vary as you need someone who has the right mix of music theory and can play instruments (to work out the chords etc.) AND can do the recording, production, mastering etc.

For a guaranteed "finished product" I think paying someone is the right answer as it will give you more control to realise YOUR vision of the song as you become the "customer" and the producer is working for you and will do what you want (offering advice and options for you to consider of course  ;)) but you remain in control of your song

Working with a collaborator may dilute this and you could end up with something that you didn't really want

Drop me a PM if you want to talk through the details if you decide to move forwards with the project

Good luck!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

outerdrake

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
I'm currently in the same boat as you are .I saw this one video where someone took notes from already invented songs and than substituted them with similar notes like switching to a minor.Start off with a source and than kit bash different songs with replacing notes and remix it to your own.Or hire a instrumentalist.

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
Just a thought, but if you can sing then you can play an instrument. You can't play chords or more than one note at once, but if you can sing accurately then you could have a go at some basic sound on sound recording with your voice. GarageBand on iPad or other simple programmes that allow you to record tracks. Try clapping s rhythm. Then your song. Then a vocal harmony to two. Even just practicing singing a line along to your melody line will help you understand more about what you've written and what else you can do.

zainalzulia

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »
Hi Willery10.

Congratulation on your songwriting, although without knowing to play instruments. Songwriting is a rare talent. I've known a lot of musician that can play music very well, but couldn't write a single melody.

Keep writing.

den

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
if you cant play a thing, it will take a long time to be able to play anything to a reasonable standard, a short cut while you are learning is a software programme called magix, download a trial version, it has 1000s of loops and many instruments you can just put in place and its very easy to use.

DonMar

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
I’m in the same boat as williery10.

I write lyrics and sometimes melodies (which I record on Audacity, and then send the track to my co-writers).

I did buy a state-of-the art Yamaha keyboard some years ago, and managed to extract one pretty melody out of it by pulling an all-nighter. ;) However, I finally had to admit that I prefer to focus on what I can do (write lyrics and compose melodies in my head) rather than on what I can’t (play an instrument).  

Currently, I write most frequently with three composers/vocalists (in England, Scotland, and the US).  The guy in the States charges a fee so ridiculously low that I prefer to think of him as my co-writer rather than work-for-hire. If by some miracle one of our songs ever got licensed for publishing, though, the split would certainly be equal.

If I work with anyone planning to write his/her own melody for the lyric, I often send an Audacity file (sometimes spoken) to indicate the phrasing. This helps ensure that the correct words will be emphasised, and that the flow will be natural.

Den, that magix software sounds good (for non-Mac folks). I note for the beginners’ package there’s a huge price discount, valid until tomorrow.

I remember that in my pre-Mac days, Microsoft had a recording programme (called Tunesmith, I think). It was cheesy, but it worked. You sang into the mic, and the notes were ‘recorded’ so that you ended up with something you could at least pass on to a musician to turn into actual music. ;)

(Having an iMac and an iPad, I've fiddled a bit with Garageband - a fantastic progamme - but the 'technology' is beyond my ken.)

Luckily, there are diverse ways one can end up with a finished song. ;)

Donna
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:05:31 PM by Donna »
Life is too important to take seriously.

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
I'm in the same boat as a few people on the forum,
i write lyrics,the lines and tune come together in my head,
but i've no way to turn them into proper songs,i've wrote a
bit of a mellow one called "WHEN YOU'RE SEVENTEEN" and
i'd love to hear it turned into something.
If you just happen to be reading this Boydie i'm more than
willing to pay the money to see if you could do something
with it,would you like me to send you a PM?,
                                                              Tom.

arteg

• Busker
    • Creative Songwriting
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
Here are some interesting facts about Michael Jackson; actually, he didn't play any instrument.
The Incredible Way Michael Jackson Wrote Music:
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/the-incredible-way-michael-jackson-wrote-music

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »
Interesting read and thanks for sharing. The cynic inside me wonders though how anyone without the sheer vocal power and ability of MJ could do this. His instrument was was his voice but that only worked because the guy could sing!