I'm about to meddle with the GB drummer - any advice?

• 2 Replies

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« on: December 08, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
Hi,

I've written a song in 17/4 and the drummer you get in GarageBand seems to struggle with it so..
I'm going to let him come up with something for each line, paste the whole lot into a midi track with a drum kit on it, then fiddle with the track until it sounds ok.
I think it will work, but if anyone has tried this I'd really appreciate some tips 😀
Btw, some sections are 4, 3, 7, 3 and others are 4, 4, 4, 4, 1 - but may change as I hone the lyrics.
GTB

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
You can copy and paste sections of GB drummer tracks into a plain midi drum track and then mess about as much as you want. Have done it a few times.
But it does not deal with changing time signatures very well so it may get our of sync easily so you'll have to do it manually mostly from smaller elements, as you say. Should work I think.

Looking forward to hearing this 17/4 song.

Good luck!

Tom.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:43:11 PM »
Cheers Tom, I've made it work on a few tracks now and very happy with the results. The 17/4 track worked fine with some trial and error with garage bands settings, but it needs re-singing before I post it.

So now I'm wondering if buying that Steven Slate system will take it to the next level (without inducing software frustration - which is likely with me 😏 )
GTB