Reaper has stopped working - Aaaaaagh !!!!!

• 3 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:06:21 PM »
Oh no 😞 just got this again tonight after recording lead vocals and harmonies which are sh#t difficult to do at the best of times. Only positive was that by the time I re-recorded the tune I actually had some sort of idea how the lyrics might fit the tune as only scribbled them down 10 mins previously. My NYR is to save save save :)

Cheers

John

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:14:27 AM »
Hi Pomp,

I've been away for awhile....
Have Reaper save every x minutes (15 is default).  In reaper preferences go to project settings and at the bottom of the page...set the desired time....then change the pull down to "any time"  that way if your mixing (as well as recording) nothing gets lost.  Then check to timestamped file in the check box.  

After a crash, you can see all the saved files by using the "open project" command and changing the pull down menu in the right bottom corner to show (*RPP-BAK) files.  Pick the most recent one and you're back to when your file was automatically saved......

igg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:17:45 AM by igg »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
I have found that in Reaper the actual takes (wav files) are usually saved in the project folder and aren't what you see on the screen - these are the "peaks" files which have all the effects, edits etc. So if you go to the correct place then you can use 'insert, media file' to reload the original recording. It usually has a name which is some combination of the track name and the date and time of recording.

So as long as Reaper didn't crash during recording then you should still be able to recreate the tracks - this has saved me a few times when accidentally destroying or deleting takes. This is also why it's good to set the option to create a new folder for each project.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...