Without a Shadow of a Doubt

• 2 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
I found a verse and chorus I'd written in 2011 while I'm tidying up all my song/lyrics. I was reformatting it to match all my others and I decided to flesh it out. I liked what I'd written so far pretty much (of course, I can't recall writing it) but I changed the last line of the chorus (slipping in an extra one because it fit the tune that was developing in my head). Et voila! A lyric which didn't really know what direction it was taking (revenge aside!) took on a life of its own. Needs touching up, I know, but it's not bad (personally) for twenty minutes or so of perspiration.

Without a Shadow of a Doubt

VERSE
Suddenly you realise
It's all been a charade
Everything has been a lie
The trap expertly laid
Suddenly you understand
That she's been using you
As she plays the final hand
You realise the truth

CHORUS
You're a victim of her need to take revenge
On all the ones who brought her crashing to the ground
One more victim who has fallen in the end
You can't pretend
That you weren't guilty of the shadows of her doubt

VERSE
It was all so long ago
You barely recognise
The little girl so full of hope
And dreams which you despised
The years between have changed you
You are not the child you were
But she could not escape you
Though you were no longer there

CHORUS
You're a victim of her need to take revenge
You can't pretend

INSTRUMENTAL

VERSE
Children in a playground
And a frightened little girl
Nobody would say how
She had come to be so hurt
At that very moment
She decided on your fate
Each and every one of
You would ultimately pay

CHORUS
She would see you all destroyed and sent to Hell
No vengeance ever suffered would compare to what she'd do
And you would understand the moment that you fell
Fare thee well
And she would laugh at you and smile...

CHORUS
You are the victim of her need to take revenge
You can't pretend

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
I'm impressed with the prosody elements that support your unstable theme. Did you take a Pat Pattison songwriting class? I noticed the near rhymes--and I think the best one is where you matched "girl" with "hurt"--for me it really emphasizes the negativity of the girl being hurt. And then there's the 5 line chorus--or choruses, since you have two completely different ones--with the odd number of lines AND the irregular length of lines. Very good.

The one nit I have is probably just because I don't know your melody. I can't get the rhythm of the alternate chorus to work on the last line. The only way I could do it was to say, "And she would laugh at you and smile; she would smile". So I'd be interested in how you make that part fit.

And finally, I am intrigued by the way you use the title phrase. In the title, it set up my expectations that the phrase would be used as it usually is--such as proving something beyond a shadow of a doubt, or something like that. But then, when we get to it in the song, it changes "without a the shadows of a her doubt" and seems to become something else altogether, kind of dark and dangerous.  :o

That's all I have.

Vicki

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
@CaliaMoko Thank you for the critique. The penultimate chorus cuts a little short as the beginning of the last chorus kind of "takes over" from it - pretty much without missing a beat. If that makes sense? On the page it does look like an unnatural rhythm, but with the tune (I can still remember it - woot!) it does actually flow and work. It's also why that line doesn't rhyme - I realised that (a) it didn't need to and (b) it might have actually sounded odd if I had.

Unfortunately, I don't really want to post the terribly off-key "singing" (very loose term!) I recorded whilst writing it (to help me remember the tune) so you'll just have to take my word for it. But, it does make it awkward for others to critique, I know.

I am thinking of either repeating the last line of the chorus again (one that gently slows to a halt). I could possibly even write another different line - but I don't really want to diverge from the reference to the title, so I'd still have to keep it similar enough to the current one. I've got some thoughts on that but I'm not going to do that unless it works for the song.

The title sort of morphed accidentally into what it became. I didn't have a title originally, and then when I changed that last line in the chorus I tentatively called it "Shadow of Her Doubt". But then this phrase kept pecking at me (and I liked the idea of using it) and I realised I could use it because I could give it a different inflection than the literal one. So the "shadow of her doubt" alludes to the darkness that her childhood bullies had cast upon her (how they made her feel weak and unworthy, and "doubt" herself), but she wants to free herself and make herself stronger (being "without" the "shadow of that doubt") - which she sees as only happening when she's completed her mission of revenge.

I don't always put too much thought into a title, but this one (and the subject matter) sort of lent itself to it.

No classes, by the way. Just a long, long time writing poetry, songs and stories.