konalavadome

How Many?

• 30 Replies

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
I would also say that just trying to find people on your own wavelength, or that like your stuff, is also going to unnecessarily restrict you

At this point in time I have no problem being "restricted".

I'm 65 years old.  Not in good health.  My current objective at this point is to become involved with developing some of the songs that I have already written or have in the works.

That's my agenda for now.  If I could complete a single CD with a dozen songs on it, I'll be tickled pink.

I'm actually hoping to find local live musicians to do this with.  That would no doubt be far better than trying to collaborate online with people living on the other side of the globe.

By the way I made my first nasty negative feedback today.  I was only being honest.  And now I'm sick to my stomach.

Happy now?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »
What's with the aggressive tone Mystic? Boydie's only putting forward an opposing point of view.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
Quote Mystic:
"I made my first nasty negative feedback today"

Well you should feel bad!!

Negative fine... but nasty?!

I have take some songs to pieces on here, mostly at the request of the writer mind, but never (to my knowledge) been nasty about it! Constructive is the only criticism I am to give!

As Boydie and others say, this is a safe place where we can nurture one another.

I fully understand that not everything is going to be liked be everyone. We all need to apply fiters to any critique of our art. "you can't please everyone all the now". Nor should you want to!

And, the sub-forum you placed your song in is called "Feedback on _____ songs". How silly of us to then provide feedback in said thread...  ???

If you came here to find collaborators, there is an sub-forum for that. Right on the main page... OR , do post on the feedback page, but be clear in what you are looking for (which is actually right in the usage guide for the forum)

i.e "I would like to know if people think this song works for it's genre, and if anyone would like to add/collab on it. I know the mix is no good, i will be taking this to a studio at some point, so please focus on the song:)"

One great thing about this place (of many) is that people DO read the blurbs atop each thread.

We get passionate about this place because, as people have pointed out above ^^ it affects us. We have all learned and grown from it.

Me - I rarely go back and change existing posted songs, BUT, I have changed arrangements for live versions from the feedback, and damn straight the feedback on my 1st album has affected the 2nd album I am finishing off. Not in a "please the crowd" way, but in that: I have seen from different angles things I have missed myself and buffed these areas while still growing my own style. I hope!

My thinking .... It seems that you are using this forum incorrectly. You will find this to be a lovely place

And as Tone says. Be nice. So many forums in other places devolve in sh=t slinging. That doesn't happen here and it still amazes me. On the INTERNET of all places!!

Big Love,
JNx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
I review as often as I can, I usually feel a little guilty if I miss a few days. I try to review in the three sections and have three broad rules for reviewing:

1. Do I like the song/lyrics? This accounts for the smallest number of reviews and is usually just a I like that with maybe a why included.

2. Songs that I'm not keen on but feel I can offer some positive advice which may help the song.

3. Songs that I don't review because I don't have time or have nothing to say.

I like reviewing and don't mind putting my thoughts forward, but there are a number of regular posters who find it difficult. The reasons may be they don't know what to say, feel embarrassed, don't have the musical knowledge, are shy, etc etc. Reviewing is a skill which not everyone has.

I find the most helpful reviews have been from people who don't like my singing or my songs, take a bow montydog. They make me think about my music and what I want to achieve.

I don't base my reviews on how many reviews other people have given. I think our community should have a place for those people who don't review very often. You can learn as much from reviews of other people's songs as you can for reviews of your own.

I feel those that don't review should be gently nudged into trying their hand at reviews. I've done this, hopefully with a light hand, on a number of occasions.

I think one of the joys of this forum is the friendly atmosphere and tolerance given to and received by the vast majority of posters.

Just my tuppence,

Keith

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »
What's with the aggressive tone Mystic?

I didn't take it as an aggresive TONE

I'm 65 years old.  Not in good health.  My current objective at this point is to become involved with developing some of the songs that I have already written or have in the works.

That's my agenda for now.  If I could complete a single CD with a dozen songs on it, I'll be tickled pink.

I think you will find more than enough people to realise this after a few months or so engaging on the forum

I for one would be happy to help out

I had a quick look and couldn't see any "nasty" reviews - they seemed spot on to me

I think you are feeling that you are being "nasty" by giving negative feedback - and I can appreciate this feeling as it does take time to learn how to review - the only way you will get better (and feel better about doing it) is to dive in and do it, which you clearly are so it is all good  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »
I had a quick look and couldn't see any "nasty" reviews - they seemed spot on to me

I think you are feeling that you are being "nasty" by giving negative feedback - and I can appreciate this feeling as it does take time to learn how to review - the only way you will get better (and feel better about doing it) is to dive in and do it, which you clearly are so it is all good  ;D

I confess. I'm an overly sensitive person.  I get easily upset even when I say negative things to other people (even if the things I say are spot on honest and true).

I also agree that my review wasn't "nasty" (at least not intentionally), but I'm willing to bet that it came across as being quite nasty at the other end.  It certainly wasn't a good review.  But what can I say.  It's wasn't a good song IMHO, (at least not as it was presented and performed).

Normally I would have listened, and just silently left the thread.  Leaving any "negative" reviews for other people to make.   I just have no sense of responsibility in this regard I guess.

But I'll try to take on this responsibility as best I can.

But I am an honest person.  So I'm not going to just tell people I think their music was fine when that's not true either.  My "silence" would be my "negative review".  That's how I normally show my disapproval of something.  I just don't acknowledge it at all.

Blame this on my mother.  She always taught me, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all".   I accepted the advice and have lived my life by that code.  And now this forum is changing my whole life just because I was hoping to find some like-minded musicians.

The price we pay to get what we want can tear our soul apart.

Hey that sounds like a good lyric for a song!  I better go write that song and get that line copyrighted.  ;D

Ok, Boydie, you've made your points and I can't really argue with you.  I'll replace my mother's advice with the old Cliche, "When in Rome do as the Romans do".   And every time I log on here I'll imagine in my mind that I'm a Roman Centurion!

So you better get your songs up to snuff or I'll come blazing through your threads on my Chariot of Heartless Review with my merciless sword of critique beheading anything I find displeasing.  It's going to be a blood bath fit for Hollywood.

This forum is going to turn me into a merciless monster I tell ya.  ;D

My mother would roll over in her grave.  Except she was actually cremated and her ashes were released into the wind.  So look for severe hurricanes instead.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
There are some fantastic lyric lines all over that last post!

I do agree with your Mum and that is a great moral code to live by

However, when you feel more comfortable with the forum - and when you get a "thank you" for pointing something out to the writer they may not have considered - you will realise people are actually LOOKING for negative feedback to help them improve
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
I wrote a really bad song, took me  a whole 5 minutes  ;D ;D ;D

How Many

How many reviews does a man have to make
Before someone will review his song
How many lyrics should one man read
Before he posts his own sing along
Yes, how many times can a man criticise
Before he's forever banned
The answer my friend is on this forum
The answer is on this forum

Yes, how many tears does it take to be shed
Before there's an apology
Yes, how many tears have to be shed
Before everyone here can agree
Yes, how many times can a man hear a song
Pretending that he's an absentee

Yes, how many times must a man re-write
Before no one will criticise
Yes, how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear the vibe
Yes, how many plays will it take till he knows
That it's a song that he really likes

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:23:57 PM by DevyE »

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »
I wrote a really bad song, took me  a whole 5 minutes  ;D ;D ;D

Gladiator Review:

What you have here is not a song until it's been put to a melody.  Without a melody it's just words blow'in in the wind.

So at this point it's just a poem.  While you have a really good start it could use a lot more refinement. The verses don't cadence as well as they could.  You really need to invest more than 5 minutes in something like this.  I know you have already confessed that it's a really bad song, but as a Review Gladiator I need to make the official pronouncement in the name of Caesar Congwriter.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »
You have a prosody issue here - it should be:

The answer is known on this forum

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »
You're even more blunt than I am.

A seasoned gladiator to be sure.  ;D

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
Thanks for the critique gentlemen but don't worry I'll get Bobby what's his name to sing it, he'll make it work  ;D

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the critique gentlemen but don't worry I'll get Bobby what's his name to sing it, he'll make it work  ;D

See? There's always a way to sneak out of a bad critique anyway.

Gladiators are a thing of the past.  We are now living in the "Age of Excuses".

Oh no!  Another song title!

~~~~~

Age of Excuses

We're in the age of excuses
where everything reduces
to the personal rebellion
of creative flowing juices

No gladiators needed
cause everyone's conceded
and will solve their own dilemmas
whilst critique remains unheeded   

Bobby's fix the flow
Sally's sing to beau
and music tags along
with a tempo fast or slow

Perhaps it's just as well
that individuals excel
refusing to conform their art
like Lucifers in hell

~~~~

Ok, it's just a poem at this point.  Anyone up for a melody collab?  ;D

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
I think that when I am contributing to the forum, I dip my toe into most  areas: reviews of finished songs, works in progress, the bar etc. I gave up worrying about whether my own songs are listened to or reviewed such a long time ago. That's fairly liberating. sometimes, a writer can bring so much to a forum that is overlooked. I've produced free of charge for a number of members in the past - that's a really generous gesture in my opinion as a single production takes so much more time and effort than reviewing all of the songs on the first page. Seriously, it's a huge commitment!  My productions for other artist have certainly helped this forum tremendously in the past, giving the atist something to be proud of and also providing a talking point. There are a number of ways that a contributor can bring value to this or any other forum whether they  review or not. I think the golden rule should be to bring some kind of generosity with you to a forum!

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
Hi folks,

I thought I'd ask what the general cut off is for reviewing other peoples' songs when they don't have the courtesy to review yours?

Personally, mine is around 2 or 3 times. If the person I'm reviewing doesn't get the whole principle that the forum is based on by then, I will never review them again, Am I being over  harsh?.

M

I'm only here a little while Alan,but I see the patterns already. I believe there will always be those members who like to appear special because they are parsimonious with their critique. Fact is,it doesn't make them special,just members with little to say.  ;)

You know yourself what your stuff is worth,the giving posters on this forum just add spice and possible direction for incremental improvement. Being standoffish and selective just makes the others less than the community deserves.