konalavadome

SoundCloud in Trouble?

• 33 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
If your links on here go to Soundcloud then that's where our listens will be... I don't think any of these platforms generate many spontaneous listens so you have to send people where you want them to go...

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
I can't imagine that anyone would have any material available ONLY on Soundcloud but if they did (e.g. because recorded directly onto Soundcloud's system - Guy?), then that seems a really bad idea and potentially you would have a nightmare getting it back.

Oh, it's OK - the stuff I recorded straight onto there is just "quick and dirty" demos.  I'm planning to get more of my songs recorded properly in the studio soon.

I quite like the look of Bandcamp as an alternative - anyone else on there?

I might use them, but don't listeners have to pay to listen to tracks on there?  Not that I'm objecting to earning a bit of money but I'd quite like to have some of my stuff available where anyone can hear it.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »

I might use them, but don't listeners have to pay to listen to tracks on there?  Not that I'm objecting to earning a bit of money but I'd quite like to have some of my stuff available where anyone can hear it.

No. Free to listen or post.

There is a pro option too,which is subscription.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
You can set a price if you like, or they do provide an option of three free listens and then you have to pay (sounds like a really bad idea to me)

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
Does anyone know how the Download option works on Sound Cloud.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
You can set a price if you like, or they do provide an option of three free listens and then you have to pay (sounds like a really bad idea to me)

Ah,I was wrong then. That goes some way to explain the lack of plays.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »

The owner of the track has to enable downloads in 'permissions'.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

The owner of the track has to enable downloads in 'permissions'.

Ok thats interesting because I have had a button appear on my most recent song - saying it has had two downloads and to be honest I had no idea that you could do that.... Perhaps I should change my settings or be happy that someone has taken an interest????

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
Ah,I was wrong then. That goes some way to explain the lack of plays.

No, you're right, but these are options which some people use (price can be zero and unlimited listens). Check your settings though just in case you've activated unwittingly...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:15:26 AM by adamfarr »

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »
Ok thats interesting because I have had a button appear on my most recent song - saying it has had two downloads and to be honest I had no idea that you could do that.... Perhaps I should change my settings or be happy that someone has taken an interest????

Hope you copywrited them!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:21 AM »
I thought copyright was automatic? If you write it, it's under your copyright unless you specify it is public domain, right? And if you publish, your rights are now publicly "announced".

That's my understanding, anyway. I know in the United States, we can register our copyrights with the Library of Congress, but they don't grant the copyrights; they just register them, which gives the author some extra protection, but burden of clearing your ownership, if it's challenged, still falls on you, the author.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
Correct, copyright is automatic

However, I think MARTYN means having some kind of "proof" if the only record (SoundCloud) disappeared

Do we have anything more concrete than this notification from a local songwriter group - is there a source for this announcement by SoundCloud?

There have been rumours about SoundCloud being in trouble for years so I would like to see the source for the latest "announcement" if anyone has come across it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »
You're right Vicki in that a copyright is created as soon as a piece of work is authored and written down in some form. But yes, as Boydie said it's the proof that counts. There are no legal precedents of using soundcloud as proof of copyright, which means you couldn't rely on it in a court of law.

The GISC offer an online copyright service and I register my songs with them by uploading them. However even they put a disclaimer saying that there is no legal precedent for this process. The PRS in UK still recommend sending yourself a copy of the song by registered mail, or by registering a copy with a bank/lawyer.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
Boydie - I think they just filed annual accounts (or something) showing large losses and the founder was forced to make some pessimistic projections:

http://fortune.com/2017/01/09/soundcloud-cash/

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
One thing on Bandcamp - is there a volume control on the player? I hate it when there isn't...