konalavadome

Magic Carpet.

• 20 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
Hi Schavuitje,

I remember reviewing this over a year ago.  I enjoyed it then and I still do so today. I think all of the ingredients are there, it just needs mixing so that everything shines through nice and clearly.  I very enjoyable song and the drums especially sound very good.

Paul

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Panning has opened up the mix nicely, good work here

And the backing vocals seem to sit back nicer too. Glad to see the advice from the forum members has been used for your mixing!

There are a couple of sight pitchy bits on the highest backing vocal notes, more noticeable now the mix is a bit clearer. But they sound like they are near the top of your range so no big surprise there.

Big improvement, ace stuff
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
Cheers Paul - Yes I did put this on about a year ago but it was literally just half a song. It stopped suddenly half way

through and I never got round to finishing it until now. Thanks for your comments :)

And Nooms :) Cherrs for your support mate  ;)

James. Thanks a lot :) I can put this one to bed for now I think and carry on with other projects. You are right about the vocals lol

My school choir days are well gone  :P
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Kafla

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
I can hear a massive difference in this -MASSIVE ;D

Man you are so dedicated Schavu - half the time I am working on one song before I am finished the last

The vocals blend in much better here and there are extra "bleeps" that weren't there first time round

And I never acknowledged just how good that bass playing is ;)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »
Hey Schavuitje!

What can I say? A really hooky guitar riff with a memorable melody, lovely arrangement, nice dynamics, the odd surprise, good vocal harmonies, highly original. Your song has it all! :)

And yes, the 'falling downstairs' drums are fabulous.

I know from experience that writing a strong melody over some of those unusual chord changes is not an easy task, but you've nailed it.

This would make an excellent track for a live band - I'd love to hear that.

My only beef with the song is the instrumental section. Maybe a taste thing, but the guitar break is very prog, while the rest of the song is much more melodic. To my ears it kind of interrupts the flow of the song to the extent that the end comes as a bit of a surprise and feels out of context.

But very well done, and thanks for sharing :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »
Cheers James, Kaf and Tone :)

Tone, it is really funny that you mention that. I write everything on my own and play all parts myself as a result. On this one though

I had been doing some jamming with my good friend and Bass player with Mr So&So, Shaun McGowan... And they are a prog band. I do love a bit of prog  :P

So I was very much in a proggy mood when I recorded this part :) Really funny that you should say that.

I hear it too. The rest of the song is quite psychedelic and then this utterly different prog section. I wasn't so sure myself at first but then it

kinda grew on me. I guess it kinda makes it even more unique, in my eyes at least, and I'm all for that :)

Cool that you noticed.

Cheers Lee.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.