Picking Copyright

• 6 Replies

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
Lots of songs share the same chord progressions and that's not copyright, so can I borrow part of a picking pattern from another song and play it using different chords in one of my own songs? Or is that breach of copyright? ???
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
There are only eight chords, so I would say help yourself, print and be dammed!! (as they say in the newspapers). Terry.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
There are only eight chords, so I would say help yourself, print and be dammed!! (as they say in the newspapers). Terry.

haha like your style!

hey talent borrows. genius steals!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:17:55 PM »
Likechord rogressions, piking patterns are limited and are used in many songs. There are thousands of songs that use the travis pick for example. Where you could come unstuck is if you pick an unusual pattern, like that used in hotel california and then applied it to the same chord progression.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:17:13 AM »
Thank you, that's really helped reassure me that I'm not doing anything illegal! :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
In a nutshell - "ideas are not copyrighted."

What is, is individual pieces made by individual creators.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »
Yep for me its the melodies and lyrics which are to be avoided, anything else is fair game so long as your end product is unique.
Interestingly I did a exercise on a Boo Hewerdine song writing course ( totally recommended ) where he gave 6 pairs of writers the same chord progression and we came up with 6 very distinct songs. Then he told us they were from " the first time I ever saw your face' by Ewan MacColl made famous by Roberta Flack and I can assure none sounded like that!!
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..