What do other people think of your songs ?

• 33 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »

What do other people think of your songs ?

Good question! But we'll never really know will we?

Some will say they like them because
- they want you to feel special (thanks Mom!)
- they don't want themselves to feel bad (guilty)
- they actually do like them

Some will say they don't like them because
- they want you to feel bad
- they don't want you to feel special
- they actually don't like them

There's a lot of wisdom in Verlon and Tina's posts.
Repetition and complacency play a big part.
Also the performance factor - if Adelle sang your song would they like it better?

But I try not to focus on whether others like them or not - the question just feeds my self-doubt and does my head in  ;D ;D Let your great great grandchildren decide whether they are any good or not - when you're not around anymore  ;D ;D

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
Well said a Paulski!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
Ok, so it's not just me who is tormented by the indifference of others to my marvellous writing and playing!  ::) :P :'(. I agree with Paul it's best not to dwell on it! I think if you haven't played or tried to write you don't really appreciate what goes into it, and how you feel when people are underwhelmed by your musings......
I've racked up quite a few plays on Soundcloud and in the last year the rate of listens has more than doubled, so I console myself that it means something ???.
Anyway, back to my bubble!
Cheers
Jamie ;)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
One clue that people actually do like (some of) my songs is that they took the time to do their own versions of them. I've been covered 9 times -- by 9 different people, doing 9 different songs.
So, that tells me that, at the very least, other musicians like my writing, if not my performances.

EDIT:
I've posted this before, but just because it applies here, I keep this playlist whenever I feel down and need a little ego boost:
https://soundcloud.com/poptodd/sets/todd-covered