All Our Family

• 10 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
I thought I'd go for a first dip in the lyrics forum as I've never posted something here before....
This is kind of inspired by childhood. I realise that writing 'a crawl' (B1) doesn't really make sense; it started out as 'we crawl', but when we sang it, it morphed into 'a'...sounded better....

V1
We would sit out and wait for the morning rise
Dirt on our hands held tight through the willow cries

C1
All our families
Wound up so tightly
Born in the mountains, raised by the sea
Live on the edge of a dream

B1
Rise, in the chime hours down the willow branch a crawl
Turn, for our last glance back on this I swear to all

V2 (solo)

C2

B2
Rise, in the chime hours down the willow branch a crawl
Turn, for our last glance back on this I swear to all
Far, from the child you were now a woman grown tall

C3
Oh all our families
Passed into memory
Raised up our mountains, home on the sea
All is the edge of the thought of a dream

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
It begs the question what do we expect from a set of lyrics..these seem sparsely written,but i`m sure you know what you can do with them..in your style of music...they read well, in a folksy way.

quite like the phrase `chime hours`

Lyrycalsoulz

• Busker
    • Youtube Lyrycalsoulz
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:51:37 AM »
It was an interesting read I have to say .. various saying and words I myself would not have written but rhyming and flow seems to go nicely and im glad to read things like this as it gives insight into how different we all write
Visit and like my Facebook page

www.facebook.com/Lyrycalsoulz

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »
It begs the question what do we expect from a set of lyrics..these seem sparsely written,but i`m sure you know what you can do with them..in your style of music...they read well, in a folksy way.

quite like the phrase `chime hours`

Yeah I was worried about the sparseness when I came to start writing the music. I actually even had a couple more lines for the verse. However, I didn't really want to write more for fear of it becoming less...'other worldly'
But then to fit in with the music it ended up being 3:30mins long anyways...

Probably because even though the verses & breaks are fairly short, the lines themselves are fairly long & wordy... I dunno...

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »
Welcome to the lyrics section then I suppose? That seems kind of silly to say considering your huge presence on the forums as a whole. :P

Honestly, I don't really get it. What are you trying to say? Not that every song needs to be perfectly clear but I don't really get whose talking or whats going on. Perhaps it's too abstract for me to be accessible. That being said, I felt it. At least parts of it anyways. The writing is very descriptive and full of imagery which is awesome but it seems very short. I guess sparse lyrics rely heavily on the music to evoke meaning so maybe that's whats going on here. Also the "...on this i swear to all" endings feel forced to me, like the language just isn't natural.

"Born in the mountains, raised by the sea
Live on the edge of a dream"

I really like this part of the chorus, it's my favorite part of the whole song. However, the opening verse is very vivid and I love it as well. Hope that helps.

Lyrycalsoulz

• Busker
    • Youtube Lyrycalsoulz
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
Nice lyrics acam see you hvae explored and really used many various words
Visit and like my Facebook page

www.facebook.com/Lyrycalsoulz

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »
Welcome to the lyrics section then I suppose? That seems kind of silly to say considering your huge presence on the forums as a whole. :P

Honestly, I don't really get it. What are you trying to say? Not that every song needs to be perfectly clear but I don't really get whose talking or whats going on. Perhaps it's too abstract for me to be accessible. That being said, I felt it. At least parts of it anyways. The writing is very descriptive and full of imagery which is awesome but it seems very short. I guess sparse lyrics rely heavily on the music to evoke meaning so maybe that's whats going on here. Also the "...on this i swear to all" endings feel forced to me, like the language just isn't natural.

"Born in the mountains, raised by the sea
Live on the edge of a dream"

I really like this part of the chorus, it's my favorite part of the whole song. However, the opening verse is very vivid and I love it as well. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I understand that you don't get it and maybe being too abstract is a bit of a problem (?) of mine...I tend to do it because a) I'm not really good at talking about myself/events in an obvious yet interesting way...
and b) I like to keep a sense of magic/mystery/escapism in music, but coupled with a) maybe it makes things too confusing..

Good that you felt it though, as most of my words are image based and coupled with the music I'm generally trying to stir up a set of emotions and images rather than spell out a story...

The line you point out as the worst ('on this I swear to all'), is the one I struggled most with! It's the last thing I wrote, I had everything else in place, but the 'turn for our last glance back' line was too short and I could find a good way to adjust the music to accomodate it without lengthening the line and making it a rhyming couplet...

But it always turns out bad when it is forced like that! So...I need to think of something a little better  to go there...

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »
It turns that I'm the only person ask this qustion in the group always when I read lyics on the pages ..
and that is .. do you have it with music .. see .. I never get tired of asking it  :D

the thing is to me lyrics is like a fish out of the water ..

through the fish in the water and watch it moving..

so music is the water which engulf the lyrics .. and enlighten the words .. and give it life .. that is my thought .. 8)

I hope you post you song link with it ..

Nice feel of the lyrics .. generally speaking .. :D

Cheers..

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
It turns that I'm the only person ask this qustion in the group always when I read lyics on the pages ..
and that is .. do you have it with music .. see .. I never get tired of asking it  :D

the thing is to me lyrics is like a fish out of the water ..

through the fish in the water and watch it moving..

so music is the water which engulf the lyrics .. and enlighten the words .. and give it life .. that is my thought .. 8)

I hope you post you song link with it ..

Nice feel of the lyrics .. generally speaking .. :D

Cheers..

Yes there is music for it :)...but I was giving the 'lyrics' section a go as I have never posted something here..

A recording of it will probably appear in the future, whether it appears here might not be up to me...

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »

I think I posted my lyrics hear and with a link ..  :o

I don't think there is any objection .. is it ?? :D

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »

Very interesting,I know your style so I've got an idea of how the beat goes,loving the word choice.

Keep Em Coming.