konalavadome

The Showcase for Released Work

• 49 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
It is difficult Boydie and the more criteria there are, the more of a minefield it becomes.

I completely agree, which is why it would be impossible to put any guidelines to it so there would need to be a judgement call of some type

I think "pitchable quality" would be a useful benchmark, which is usually along the lines of:

"Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine)."

If we move forward with this it will be a bit of a minefield regardless but I am sure we could come up with a fair way of doing it

I would not have the time to screen every single song (especially as I would want to encourage members to post their albums) so it may have to be along the lines of an application process where members submit 3 tracks of the quality they are able to produce (either by themselves at home or via a studio or other producer!

If the application is successful then the member would be granted permission to create their own "showcase thread", which they can use however they want and potentially use it to attract listeners to review their songs

This would be a manageable solution where members wishing to showcase their music (and not every member will want to) can do so and will be able to maintain their own thread
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »
i think "showcase for released work" must have a different meaning for some than others.

in my mind what that means is a professionally recorded and packaged product that has actually been released for sale, promotion or both.

i have only 1 such item from my history of songwriting, an EP of 6 songs that was done back in 1988.

i have a bunch of other recordings that i consider "finished" in the body of work that i have put together over the past 30 years, but none of that material was ever professionally recorded, packaged and released.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »
Mikek,

I think to say that only professionally recorded material can go on there would alienate and disadvantage a great many forum members.

Everyone's at different levels on here but I would bet that the vast majority of us are not professionals and not everyone has the money or the inclination to pay for professional recordings.

Also, music does not need to be professionally recorded to be released. Spotify, iTunes and great many other dealers accept music from 'amateurs'. The line between amateur and professional has been blurred a great deal in recent years anyway with the advances in home recording equipment. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in some cases (not mine)

Just my thoughts

Yodasdad

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:35 AM »
I'm in the same boat as everyone else, limited funds, etc... And sure, I realize it's a new world nowadays with technology advancements and streaming services. I wasn't suggesting that my definition of 'released' is what should be the norm for the new forum being discussed, instead, I was only saying what those words imply to my pea brain

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:19 AM »
No problem, I know what you mean.

The music biz has changed so much recently that I don't think there are any rules anymore.

What was the norm 5 years ago certainly isn't anymore.

I'll just keep writing the songs, until the computers take over that is.

Yodasdad