konalavadome

The Showcase for Released Work

• 49 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:38:09 PM »
I've seen quite a few posts in The Bar for people who have released work. I'd like to propose a separate stream, possibly entitled "The Showcase" where we can post links to released work. Over time, this could build to be a great storehouse of the work that we have collectively created.

(In order to ensure it's not  abused, we could require that anyone posting have a minimum level of posts in the any of the forum rooms?)

I'd appreciate comments from others.

Thanks,

Kevin

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »
I think that is a great idea

It came up in a discussion a while ago - and I even think "showcase" was mentioned as a possible name

I think this should be a place where "released" songs / albums are put - i.e. Even with great feedback there is no chance the song would be edited/improved- it has truly been abandoned

The reviews / comments would therefore be simply a review of the "whole" rather than trying to give constructive criticism of the songwriting / production

There will obviously be blurred lines between the "finished songs" section and the "showcase" section, but I think I can see a definite distinction between the 2 and how the reviews/comments would differ

I would also see the "showcase" section being an area I could promote to attract CONSUMERS of music (rather than other songwriters) - i.e. Anyone looking for new music to listen to

Before I go in to detail explaining how I see it working I would welcome the views of others
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:39:05 PM »
Well my view is, great idea.

Simples!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »
I think that is a great idea

I think this should be a place where "released" songs / albums are put - i.e. Even with great feedback there is no chance the song would be edited/improved- it has truly been abandoned

The reviews / comments would therefore be simply a review of the "whole" rather than trying to give constructive criticism of the songwriting / production

I would also see the "showcase" section being an area I could promote to attract CONSUMERS of music (rather than other songwriters) - i.e. Anyone looking for new music to listen to

You might want to consider restricting / eliminating comments so that don't clutter up this section: I would see it as almost like a catalogue of released work by Forum artists. It would also be easier to attract consumers if they don't have to wade through lots of (to them) irrelevant comments.

Mike67

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
I agree. The comments box should contain info that would be of use, e.g. what the song's about, genre, possibly lyrics, i.e. the pitch. No need for people to comment.

Mike

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
But sure casual comments / feedback would be useful?

More like magazine/Amazon reviews of music/albums rather than "critiques" / feedback and ideas for improvements (which is what the finished songs forum is for)

I don't see how it would clutter things as each song/album would be in its own thread

If we want to attract people that appreciate music (e.g. Bloggers on new music) I think there should be a space for them to comment or put a link to their blog?

I am happy to pilot something to see how it goes...

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
Could this end up being cluttered by people just signing up to the forum, dumping their stuff and leaving? Maybe you should only be able to start a thread in that section if you have a certain number of posts on the normal forum

Don't wanna make it too exclusive though if the point is to publicise forum members' music

Sounds like a really good idea though

Mike67

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
The risk of members reviewing showpiece work, and those comments being open to 'consumers', is that it could lead to disputes and accusations of cronyism, but providing it was carefully managed, it might work.  I agree with Jon, that there should be some form of test so that it isn't just open to abuse, i.e. need to demonstrate that you're active and using the forum in the way that it was intended. Definitely worth trialling, and it would provide an area where music critics, music promoters, etc could be directed towards.

Mike

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
Could this end up being cluttered by people just signing up to the forum, dumping their stuff and leaving? Maybe you should only be able to start a thread in that section if you have a certain number of posts on the normal forum

Don't wanna make it too exclusive though if the point is to publicise forum members' music

Sounds like a really good idea though

Jon makes good points.

We always have folk dropping their music on the forum without any intention at all of participating in the community,there are several in FS at the moment. What we don't want is yet another outlet for non contributors.
Speaking specifically of FS,it's tricky enough to walk the rope of letting a new poster know the rules and scaring off new blood. Just recently shadowfax was wrongly accused of being passive/aggressive by doing just that. Pointing out the rules is often unpopular and can make the person look a bit of a prick.I always feel uncomfortable pointing out the rules,since it's really the job of a forum moderator. Perhaps there is a better way to skin this cat?

The showcase idea seems good to me in theory,I'm always interested in hearing new music and quite often stuff drops off the first page too quickly and is then forgotten.

Worth a shot imo.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »
Have to agree with Jon's points as well but think that it is a good idea in principle. Perhaps submissions could be vetted by Boydie before submission is allowed ?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
How about it is by application and I/the mods can decide what gets posted

We can come up with a basic criteria and then apply some common sense/discretion where appropriate

I know this could be controversial but I think there would need to be a base level standard to the recording/production

I am NOT saying pro level only (and a good phone recording may be good enough) but I think there should be a base level if it is truly going to be a "showcase"

Mike67

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Personally, I'd have no problem with applying a standard.  If I don't meet the standard, then it gives me something to aim for, particularly if any "rejections" came along with constructive advice on how to improve the song or the recording. 

Mike

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
How about it is by application and I/the mods can decide what gets posted

We can come up with a basic criteria and then apply some common sense/discretion where appropriate

I know this could be controversial but I think there would need to be a base level standard to the recording/production

I am NOT saying pro level only (and a good phone recording may be good enough) but I think there should be a base level if it is truly going to be a "showcase"

Yes there should be a good standard - if it is going to represent the best of the forum members it should only be the best (quality) that get to go on the showcase - good for members good for website.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
Songstuff have had a Showcase  for quite a while..it might be worth looking at theirs to see what works ...
you may find some regulars here already in it!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
Works for me Paul and as Mike says it gives us all a target.

@ Tina..There are other forums?  :o

:D