konalavadome

Tell me about your band/artist/screen name...

• 21 Replies

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »
My screen name and my group name may end up being the same.  So I'll mention both.

First off I chose the name "Mystic Dreamer" because I practice shamanic journeying, and visual meditations.  This may sound highly spiritual, but actually for me it's almost a form of "secular psychology".   When it comes to the truth of reality I openly confess to everyone that I am "agnostic". Meaning that I do not possess the knowledge (i.e. a-gnostic meaning without knowledge) to draw a definite conclusion on this question.

Having said this, I do find secular value in visual meditations or "shamanic journeying".  I also find that these "Mystic Dreams" do result in inspiration for musical and lyrical creativity.  Thus I openly confess that I am a "Mystic Dreamer".  ;D

So that is the inspiration for my screen name.

Also, since I write a lot of "mystical songs" (or songs that address images and ideas that I have obtained from my mystic dreams) I've been thinking about starting a group that focuses on this kind of mystical music.   Not unlike songs that might be performed by Loreena McKennitt.

Mummers Dance

And now here's a question for the forum members:

What should I name this group?

I was thinking of calling the group.

1. Shamanic Daemons

In this context a daemon is actually a good spirit or totem that helps to connect a human with the divine source.   However many people unfortunately associate Daemons with Demons and even pronounce them the same.  Although Daemons is actually pronounced "Day-mons" and does not mean demon.

I kind of like this name for the group, but other people have objected for the very reason that it sounds potentially demonic.  And that's certainly not what the music is about.

So now I've been thinking about calling the group

2. Mystic Dreamers

But then like rlp85 has mentioned, do I really need to even named the group like as if I'm giving a name to the individuals that make up the group?

Maybe instead the group should just be named:

3. Mystic Dreams

Kind of like "Vanilla Fudge".  It's just the name of the group entity.

~~~~

So what do you think?

1. Shamanic Daemons
2. Mystic Dreamers
3. Mystic Dreams

Or something else entirely?

4. Shamanic Dreamers
5. Shamanic Dreams
6. Shamanic Travelers
7. Mystic Mummers <- this could end up inspiring extreme costumes like KISS.

I don't even have the group yet anyway.  So it doesn't really matter at this point.  I'm sure when I find compatible musicians they'll have their own ideas to offer as well.  But it would be interesting to hear feedback from you guys.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »
WAIT YOUR NAME ISNT JAMES NIGHTHAWK!? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
I am a fraud  :D :D

For you Jess, I shall change it officially.

Maybe....  ;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 06:58:15 PM »
Ive just finshed reading this thread after having just read the thread on cliches. I am now thinking, how ironic, my bands name is MLC (mid life crisis).

guess how we came up with that lol.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
Ive just finshed reading this thread after having just read the thread on cliches. I am now thinking, how ironic, my bands name is MLC (mid life crisis).

guess how we came up with that lol.

There is a local band to me called FBS

"Fat B#stard Special"

So, it could be worse ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 10:15:16 PM »
And I was going to call my new band :-

Arthur Ryatis And The Zimmer Frames

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 12:05:07 PM »
Hi James, great thread!

The name of my most recent band was 'The Vanity Rules' I'm still in touch with all of the members but don't know if I ever care to be in a band again. No doubt we'll record together again in the future but live performances - I'm not so sure. I've never struggled to write music and songs but band names are so incredibly difficult to find.  My friend and bass player from The Vanity Rules Paul Wilkinson, introduced the name and also the title of our album 'Your Absence Of Grace'. I love both and know that I couldn't ever have dreamt such wonderful titles. By the way, The Vanity Rules is an all out rock affair - so much different to my usual writing style. I deliberately went down that road to do something different and am so pleased that I did. I love the album 'Your Absence Of Grace' - it's a lovely keep-sake for my friends. Oh, the name - it's an observation that Vanity can often be an prominent facet of the personality.

I wrote a song called Wicked Deeds after attending a funeral. my sister and I were travelling home after a family funeral on my Dad's side of the family. My sister commented that she often feels like an outsider when we attend family get togethers (she wonders what my Dad's family must think about our lack of contact) as we did not see my Dad or his family for twenty years after our parents divorced. i told her that I didn't care.  'Wicked Deeds have always been my game. Let ignorance and want define my fame' - it couldn't be further from the truth - I care immensely but that was my defence mechanism kicking in!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:17:08 PM by Wicked Deeds »