konalavadome

Lordes "incorrect" song writing...

• 20 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »
When we hear something "very different" than we expect, it is "odd" if we don't immediately like it and "innovative" if we do immediately like it. 

Problem for me is that I couldn't hear anything I didn't expect.  Whatever rule she "broke" is entirely unimportant to this (admittedly non musician's) ear. 

It's my experience that the songs that stand out break SOME rules, and conform to others.  If it breaks no rules it's "generic" (which no one is seeking to be labelled.)  If it breaks too many, it sounds funny to those of us who know the rules. 

I simply don't worry about anything but whether I like it.  I liked this song.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
Having now read the article I think it is important to point out that Lordes actually asked Max Martin for his opinion

THAT is a point that some seem to have missed.  I read the article, and listened to the song.  Hadn't been exposed to either before.  This doesn't really seem like some world changing controversy when you have all the facts. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
Ive noticed once you are an established artist and the people behind you can see the money pouring in you can literally put out any sort of shit music and get away with it. especially lyrically there is some absolute crap around but if its well produced and has the current sound it gets airplay and downloads.

i have an open mind on modern music and am not stuck in the past but have been studying the charts recently as i intend to modernise my own sound and i cant believe some of the rubbish out there.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »
Ive noticed once you are an established artist and the people behind you can see the money pouring in you can literally put out any sort of shit music and get away with it. especially lyrically there is some absolute crap around but if its well produced and has the current sound it gets airplay and downloads.

i have an open mind on modern music and am not stuck in the past but have been studying the charts recently as i intend to modernise my own sound and i cant believe some of the rubbish out there.

Yes, having a bit of flu and off work , i watched the top 20  on tv today.....Kendrick Lamar was the standout trash for me... ::)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »
There's always been awful songs in the top 20.

I've just listened to Humble by Kendrick Lamar on your recommendation. You are quite right, a waste of 5 minutes. Washed it away with Love by Lana Del Rey.

Which brings me back to Lorde. I remembered where I heard her name. Seems I F**ked My Way To The Top was partially about her.

Green Light has certain similarities to American.

As it was, so it will be.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
check out this beauty - you'll never guess what its called. ;D

'Classic' piece of lyrical songwriting :o - The words 'I feel it coming' repeated well over 40 times ;D

I would be embarrassed to upload this song on this forum for review.

Proving almost anything well produced and in the current style can become a hit.