konalavadome

Do you censor your writing? Why/why not?

• 54 Replies

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »
Seeing as my stuff is punk-based (and the essence of punk is not giving a fxck) I don't worry about censorship but I maintain poetic subtlety when targeting a group or person. For example in one song which basically voices my opinion on religion I avoid saying I think it's pointless I say 'the saints won't save these people' and other such things...

I did get bullied at one point because of a song that mentioned 'the new girl' (and it was easy to guess who the new girl was). But I've been bullied for a lot of things and plenty of people thought it was actually really sweet and romantic so I scored nonetheless... :D

As far as swearing goes I've found in the past that it just hasn't fitted into my songs. It pops up in a few (notably F*** You) and when it does end up in a song it doesn't bother me.

So I have to say no, I don't censor my writing but I'm also somewhat subtle and metaphorical in my work and don't name names (not because I'm afraid of people finding out I'm writing about them, I just take pleasure in not being so outright).
Defective Elector

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
I censor myself if I feel that I am being too transparent.  For instance if someone who knows me is listening to a song I don't want them to know what it's about.  I consciously try and make my songs as obtuse as possible.  I never used to but I have found that listneing to songs I was really open in a few years ago, now embarasses me so I try and obscure my real motivation.

pixieboots

• Busker
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »
I don't usually censor my music.  In particular the ukulele stuff can be fairly vulgar, particularly when referring to exes or past bad influences.  However at my last gig I was informed ten minutes before going on that the audience was all coming from the church next door - oooops.  Then, I did some hasty rewriting of the naughty language but ploughed on with the drug references.  They were not impressed (except for the small crowd of cackling drunk women)...  I like to tailor sets to match audiences, so I have a "naughty" and "nice" setlist.  Just in that case there was a miscommunication, leading to one that was a bit of both!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
Unfortunately, yes, i do censor my ideas an lyrics sometimes
why?
even more unfortunately, my (self)sensorship does not allow me to comment on that   :-X

not a helpful reply, but true, i am afraid

Fabio

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
I do censor myself in a subtle way. I don't name names, but the stories stay the same. as they're told in an indirect, metaphorical way, I don't think anyone ever could feel pertained by my lyrics while I'm singing my honest opinion to their faces. Maybe if it's true what I'm singing, and they start thinking about it they might get it.

I certainly do censor myself if I believe a song is not good enough.

I think anyone's life is the greatest source of inspiration.
Hope kills your sense for reality

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I find it really hard not to censor myself, although sometimes it can work well (using metaphors and so on.) I guess it's just human nature though to hide some feelings.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
I find it interesting that one of the biggest things here is people censoring songs of theirs about or invoking people they know.

I feel the opposite.

I stay subtle somewhat but the meaning should still be obvious to the point that were the subject listening to it they'd recognise the tale as it were. The reason for this is that in my lyrics I can write with honestly, complete honesty. I can say things about people I wouldn't otherwise say but want to. If they hear it then I've basically said what I've always wanted to say to them and in that sense my songs can be an alternative way of communicating my personal message to someone, while also having a message that resonates with other people (though not everyone of course)
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
I suppose for me it all depends on what the song is about as to whether I censor it or not.

I think we all censor when we are searching for the right lyrics. Just choosing one word over another is censoring, even

if it's just because that word sounds better.

When it comes to material that could be controvertial, (I have a song called "In God's Name") which is about Religion (All Religion) and God

and all the atrocities that every one else in the world has to suffer because of what throughout history the "Religeous people" feel

they need to do in order to control and have power, I do tend to censor. I get my message across, but of course it would be irresponsible

and possibly dangerous to use the words I'd like to use haha.

So yes. I do censor, sometimes.

Unfortunately we don't live in the free world of free speech we all think we live in :(
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17:28 AM »
Well then is it really the world or just your own inhibitions?

As far as I'm concerned, you can say whatever you want to say provided you don't care in advance about the reaction and I personally think music is an ideal place to say exactly what you want in an uncensored manner. The arts are meant to be our minds unbound, why try then to bind them?
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
If we are free to speak our minds wherever and whenever... Why do we have to have a speakers corner? The Americans laugh at

the fact that we have to have an area where we are ALLOWED to stand and speal our minds. Not that they are much free'r themselves.

Yours and my freedom is an illusion.

Not that I support the BNP, but as anexample - When one of their candidates won a seat in London, they barred him from taking his

seat in the houses of parliament. That is not democracy. In a democratic society, the candidate from the BNP would have been allowed his seat.

They allowed him to run in the elections... Only to shoo him away when he won??? In a democratic society ALL voices would be heard... Whether you agree with

what they stand for or not. The goverment however see this as dangerous.

There are lots of examples of this kind of thing and censorship.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:59:17 PM by Schavuitje »
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »
That's a damn good point, if not a little off-topic
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 12:41:13 AM »
Of course that never stopped people like John Lennon or Marin Luther King or
Kennedy, but they all ended up being murdered...

Never stopped Zappa though  :P

Pescatore

• Busker
    • Martin Pescatore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
Just had a song reviewed on Broadjam and the reviewer took real issue with the language I'd used.  I was quite surprised as the offending phrases were "I wonder who you're screwing" and "that crazy 5hit you're doing", neither of which I feel were particularly strong ore offensive (certainly not in the context of the song).  So I'm not going to censor my language cos it seems to be that whatever you say somebody is likely to take offence  :)
P

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »
The way I see it is that if you're not offending someone, you're not doing it right! :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Jon90sKids

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 03:08:19 AM »
I do, there's a few songs I'd like to write but can't because of my girlfriend. I'd find it awkward writing a song about other girls.