New song

• 7 Replies

Tjmartin

• Busker
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
I'm new to this forum. I've been messing around with music on  and off for a while now - I get musical ideas and structures etc but never get them to lyric stage. I'm going to post a song I've recorded on my ipad. If someone wants to come up with lyric and melody ideas it'd be great. Ive always got loads of ideas but never get them past 1st stage - if I could click with people who can write lyrics we might be able to make a song - woo hoo 😋

https://soundcloud.com/tjmartin-1-1/my-song-4

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Hi - welcome

I thought this sounded great and has lots of potential. At the moment it sounds like a bridge or outro (maybe and intro but a bit long for my taste) So it might be worth working up the structure having a couple of sections without the (very nice) guitar work over it - for the melody can sit on top. When you have done that I suspect you might need another section to form the chorus - but who knows. I suppose once you have the structure/arrangement more in place then it would give the 'wordsmith' more to work with. I know there are folk on here who really like to collaborate - so good luck with that.

Good start though, and good luck with it - I look forward to hearing further versions. BTB
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:13:26 PM by bewarethisboy »
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Tjmartin

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »
Thanks. Yes it's more a musical idea than having any structure, and the guitar was me riffing over it. Always my problem is I have these ideas and never get them any further - and having time! Working and having kids doesn't leave much time to spend on stuff like this!  Thanks, all feedback  is welcome

stefano65

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »
Good ideas but please, have a look at the sound levels: IMO your piano is too loud and the guitar (that should play the melody) is too in background. Don't raise the guitar volume, simply reduce the volume of the piano: they should be at the same level or, better, the guitar should be a little loud. A little....

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »
Reminds me a little of Let It be by the Beatles, especially the lead guitar work. I have some lyric fragments I'll have another listen over the weekend and see if I come up with anything. I'm sure some of the other lyricists on the forum will be willing to give you a helping hand as well.

Keith

Thebike

• Busker
  • Yes I am
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
Yes really a good start this!
Good work on the IPad and the guitar.
I see you got some advice here and I agree with them.
This could be a really singable song!

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
The eternal problem of finding time....!  :(

I understand completely, but unfortunately whilst you've come up with a pleasant chord progression and a lovely guitar solo, your still only at the start.
Sounds to me like a mid-song break and the chord changes are at the moment very basic, although there is some lovely movement in the bass line.  8)

When I'm writing a tune, this state, as you probably know, is only the starting point and finding the time to develop the idea can be really frustrating. So here are a couple of tricks you could use to move the idea forward.

I can hear several possible melodies. I tend to sing the melody lines over a chord progression to try ideas out but that's mainly because I'm not a guitarist. You seem comfortable with using the guitar so why not in the first instance use the guitar line as the melody. This may not be perfect but it should allow you to put some basic lyrics to the chords. I always find that when I have a basic lyrical structure in place I can develop the other parts.
The words may be nonsense at first but eventually you'll come up with one line that sums up the song and the rest is usually just padding. (Sorry lyricists) ;D ;)

I tend to carry a little Dictaphone around with me. When ideas for a tune or a lyric come to me I record it there and then. I bought a  little Dictaphone for about £30 a few years ago but most phones have a record function nowadays.

Turn off the TV. It's amazing how much time you free up when you don't watch the tube.

Arrange with you partner and the kids some regular time in the week when you are going to spend time with music and make sure you have a plan on what your going to do with that time. Eg. Find a chord progression for a chorus. Write a lyric, even if it's only a line or two, program the drum pattern, even if its only 2 bars.
Just make sure that you achieve something no matter how small with every session. Even if that something is abandoning an idea that doesn't work.  ::)

Hope this helps. Most of the guys here are very helpful but they, like us have time constraints and their own ideas to develop but any specific question you have keep asking and I'm sure as your work develops you'll find many willing collaborators.

good luck.

Martin
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »
Mihkay is right when he says that you are "still at the start." 

Don't let the discourage you. 

What you are describing is not unusual.   You have a "starting point" and it's likely that you NOW need some lyrical direction to decide where to go with the rest of your song. 

There are a LOT of good lyricists here.  Many of them/us can add in a few lyrics to your basic idea. 

THEN.... (assuming I'm right that your creative brain is awaiting a lyrical signal) (and assuming that you can't provide that yourself) you NEED lyrics to move on.   Plenty of people work that way.  Most of them provide their own lyrics.... so they don't really recognize the process.   

It sounds to me like you are simply using a process which requires collaboration - and this is a GREAT place to find lyrical collaborators. 

Good luck and don't be shy about asking. 

Also.... don't be shy about sharing your lyrical ideas.  It might turn out that you are better equipped to provide lyrics than you think you are.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.