Bass guitar

• 9 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
Hi folks

I'm struggling with the bass line for a song. In the following quick sample in the 1st snippet the bass note comes in early on the 3rd beat of the bar....in the 2nd bit it comes in on the 3rd beat. I can't decide which is right. I've been going with the first one which makes it a bit more jerky or something but am I completely misguided about preferring this. I don't play the bass.

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/basstest/s-nFfPh

Be nice to know what you think so I can finish this bloody song. Hope this enough of a snippet.

Thanks
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:12:09 PM »
I don't play bass either and I can't even hear a difference when I try and count it - I guess the difference is very subtle. That said, the first version sounds better to me. Not jerky at all, but it definitely swings / grooves a little more. Whether or not you're after swing and groove, I guess, is the key question - but personally I'm always after swing and groove so # 1 it is for me.
West Country Country Boy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
Thank you Derek! I agree about the swing/groove thing. The straight on the beat one is just that....a bit straight, but I was worrying about keeping it tight with the drums etc. This is perhaps my most troublesome area, not being a drum or bass man.

It also doesn't help that I've listened to it so much that i can't tell up from down now.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Just to make things even more confusing, I preferred the second snippet, nothing between them really but on instinct the second seemed a smoother, more natural groove to my ears, but what do I know?  :)

Good luck with your choice   :)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
Wow this is a tough question, they both sound great. Could your song use both?
The 2nd version belongs more in the background for me, so maybe use that behind the vocal sections and use the first where there a no vocals. 
I think it all depends on how they fit with the whole song and would be interested to hear it all.
Sorry if that doesn't help 😜
GTB

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:51:20 PM »
Hi mate

Both sound great, and would work well, ir depends on what the vocals are doing.

GTB's idea is good, I would probably lean toward something similar. I would ensure the groove is landed for a couple of bars with version 2, then throw version one in to keep the groove developing.

I.e. Three sets of version two, followed by one set of version one.

However lay it down with the vocal recorded, and that may help!

Cheers

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
Dear Count, I was going to offer to but you don't need i, as other have said both sound great and you do have to listen for the difference. the 2nd feels more straight to me whereas the first has that offbeat pull up which would be great for intro or solo.
Great groove btw - JJ Cale to my ears.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »
Thanks to all of you.

I've done as suggested and used both parts according to taste.

Rained off work today so will be uploading the song later I hope.

Cheers guys.
Take it easy.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
 I reckon the second part walks better with the groove..but I think I've come a bit late to this thread..just listened the finished song on SC
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

DawgJnr

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Hi

I've just messed around with both versions and what really works nicely is mixing them together within the 8 bars - the first phrase coving bars 1-4 and the second the next 4.

G