konalavadome

I found you

• 7 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: November 27, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
I hardly ever find time to produce and so I write whenever possible and hang one or two instruments on to my creations. I suppose this is a kind of light, summer suit. The song is complete but the production is a work in progress - I don't mind that.

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/i-found-you

I found you

I was alone,
the world was dark.
Estranged from my family,
a silhouette there in the park.

I learned to be strong
I built a wall.
I surveyed the damage
and declared that I'd never fall.

Love, subtle and ever true,
Exploding defences,
embracing the old and the new,
ensuring I found you.

Sometimes we grow
then pull apart.
I say what I say then we're
hurtling back to the start.

Drowning in fear,
Adrift at sea.
I wait for the coastguard
but don't think he's following me.

Exploding defences,
ensuring I found you.

Forgive me, honey I'm a fool.
Fools often make mistakes.

Exploding defences,
ensuring I found you.
I found you.

Write by Paul Vasey November 2015
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:29:17 PM by Wicked Deeds »

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
Great song Wicked Deeds

The sparsity of the song is strong, lots of space in the verse, but the chorus then feels fuller.

strings coming in with the word "love" in the chorus is genius, and really builds emotion

Strings in general have a nice sound which supports the melody. I like he running notes just before then end of the chorus.

Voice sounds fragile, which is a really good thing for this song. A vulnerability in the singer adds to the emotional quality.

Lots of lovely space in the production, I'd try and keep that if you do a rerecord ever?

Lyrics are strong. I really like it when a chorus does not repeat word for word, as it definitely adds to the lyrics message.

Wouldn't change much, perhaps look at some improved piano sounds if poss?

Thanks

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
love this  :)

it's fantastic...and gawd bless you if you can make it sound even better somehow!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
Paul,
Really, really like this. Smart, heartfelt lyrics and lovely fragile tune.
Great gap between the 'Fools often make mistakes' and the end chorses so effective.

Two small suggestions around the melody on the chorus for you to consider:
On the 'Love, subtle and ever true' line i think the underlying chords go from C to F as the melody trickles down but when you sing 'true' the note sounds unsure, you might want to use something from the key of F?
And on the "ensuring I found you' it might sound cool if on the repeated 'I found you' and varied the C - D - C melody to C - D - E on occasions..

Anyway please feel free to ignore theses thoughts, I always find you work stimulating and inspiring.
Delicate and honest.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »
Oliver, Paul and Neil, thankyou for your kind words.

In truth, I'm unlikely to experiment with this song. I might return to tweak the string arrangement and soften the piano but I've kind of fallen in love with the simple arrangement and harmony. I rarely say that about one of my own compositions but I can't help get caught up in the emotion of this song. I wrote and produced it in approximately three hours and the emphasis was very much on the songwriting and not the production. Part of me thinks that's a great shame but then I'm not able to devote the time to my production skills that I was able to do so three years ago.  Having said that, My soundcloud page features my last three songs: I Found You, Spectre and Broadband Movie which I'm reasonably happy with. I can hear where each can be improved but really, I have no ambition for my music other than to pass them on to my children so that maybe one day they will understand how I thought and felt at various stages of my life.  Regardless of the merits or imperfections in the production, I simply love to write music, that is where my passion has always been and will remain.

Paul, I was delighted that you really got this song.

Thanks chaps!

Paul
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:02:39 PM by Wicked Deeds »

den

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 01:10:19 AM »
maybe turn the piano down a tad, apart from that its got hit written all over it, really enjoyed it.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
I liked the lyric.  I loved the song.  The vocal melody is what makes this one.  Incredibly vulnerable and wistful.  I'd have liked to hear the piano softer and maybe deeper.  Maybe even an octave lower. 

Of course, I'm often wrong about such things.... but it might be worth a try. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
excellent work..just tone the piano down a bit and it's done..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!