Your thoughts would be much appreciated

• 5 Replies

craigfaganmusic

• Busker
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Do any other writers find it hard to choose of the songs they write; which are good and which are bad?

I do - i have so many that i think i have made things complicated for myself and as such when someone asks me,
''Give me your best song?'' i struggle to choose.

It doesnt help when the ones that people like are the ones you least expect.

Anyhoo - any thoughts on my material would be much appreciated.
my site is

http://www.craigfagan.com

Love this forum - been looking for a resource like this purely for songwriters for a while.

thanks in advance
Craig

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:57:23 PM »
Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

I'm currently listening to the acoustic section on your site - you're a very prolific writer!  You have a strong voice both in terms of your physical voice, but also in terms of the personality of your writing style.

I'm not going to give a critique here as this forum is for specific song reviews rather than comments about a body of work.  Please feel free to pick a song (or more) to post up individually if you would like the community to pass their thoughts.

I'd certainly be interested to know more about your recording methods and equipment.  I'm trying to figure out whether these are home recordings or not?  Some bits sound like they're studio quality, and others sound like home...

Keep writing Craig, and thanks for your contribution :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

craigfaganmusic

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:27:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply Tone and your positive words!

I have been writing for a few years now and yes my writing style does vary at times from rock, pop, jazz, rnb style - there is nothing premeditated about it though, instrumentation, lyrics, melody etc decide what style a song is going to have as i am creating it.

My recordings on http://www.craigfagan.com are all home recordings. I have a very modest setup. No computers so i have to play everything. I know that my recording quality could be more polished but i hope that i get the song across nonetheless.

I will choose a song for review - i always find it very hard to pick one, although i hope through the feedback i get that i can establish which of my songs are the best.

I am trying to get some sort of publishing contract - but i see the publishing world as a very hard one to break into, often looks like its a very 'members only club' at times.

Can i just say again how valuable this forum is to songwriters - great for collaborating, networking and discussion on all things song.

If you can give me and my site a shout on the songwriter forum twitter page i would be hugely greatful!

Thanks again
Craig

craigfaganmusic

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
oh and one more thing...

im trying to get as many comments on my comments page as i can and would be super pleased if you could spare a minute to leave one? Thanks in advance!

http://www.craigfagan.com/wordpress/talk-to-me/

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I've left you a comment Craig :)

I don't doubt that you stand a good chance of getting your music on a publisher's books despite it being a bit of an old boys' club.  I think you have a good enough level of high quality output to be an attractive proposition to a publisher.  The thing to do is probably keep badgering them, and don't take no for an answer.

As for choosing a song to submit for review, maybe instead of trying to choose your best song, submit the song(s) that means the most to you.

Also, if you fancy having a listen to one of my songs (on the review forum) I'd be pleased to know your thoughts.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

craigfaganmusic

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
listening to your songs just now Tone - very nice, Sundown i am on just now.
Will reply to the song review page for it.

So tell me, how long have you been writing for? Are you in a band or anything?

You said you play everything too, thats great! i thought i was getting left behind with everyone doing it on computers.
My theory is tho - it will make us better musicians and i think you connect more with the song when you have to physically play it.