konalavadome

You've Been The One

• 16 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
The melancholy continues... Following the tragic love affair of Sycamore Heights here we have a sad farewell.

This was actually another "snippet" that I discovered tucked away on the hard-drive. I had to reverse engineer the chords as I couldn't remember what I'd played (and there were more than the usual three), but I liked it enough to work it up into this arrangement.

You've Been The One

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13387324

Somebody's walking 'cross my track
I can feel the shivers run down my back
I mightn't be long for this world
Farewell girl
Farewell girl

You've been all I could dream of
You've been a rock I could lean on
You've been the one (x3)

There were times when I've been
Scared to death of what I've seen
You were the scales in my eyes
Farewell child
Farewell child

You've been all I could pray for
You've been my guardian angel
You've been the one (x3)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:01:46 AM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
The sun has been beaming down for over a week here and I hear there's at least another week of summer left. Everything in colour and the natives are content.
The miserable grey, nondescript days fade from the mind like a semi recalled bad dream.

It's times like this we need a taste of reality, too much of a run on the good times can mess with life's balance.
This is why del's song helps. It's the dark cloud on a sunny day, the fly on yer salad roll,the piss on yer cornflakes,a blessed relief from relentless optimism.

Cheers Derek for the sad moment,perspective is wonderful.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
this is realy lovely derek....my favourite of your songs ive heard so far
vocally you sound like youve got one toe in  somerset & all the rest in the USA....my youve got big feet! I liked your voice a lot
I loved the soft intimate sound on the guitars  though it did make them a little bit muffled at times ..
I didnt get a melancholy vibe at all from it ... .the chords & melody sounded quite happy & contented it had a  realy sort of wistful  romantic  feeling  ...I thought it was a  beautiful  song
now how long can you balance on that one toe i want to know  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
Hi Derek, a lovely melancholy song, very evocative . Loved the acoustic guitar and assured vocal.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
I like the twin intertwining guitars, they sound lovely. Verse chords has a unusual progression, which surprised me although it took a little getting used to, whereas the chorus was on much more familiar ground. Intimate vocals and playing draws you in.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:20:06 AM »
I can hear this one going down really well live - it's very immediate, effective and simple to get into.

One thing I didn't totally get was the scales in my eyes - you seem to be using it as a positive when in the bible and generally it seems to be used as a negative. Thinking it through, I can see where you were going (and it's quite an original take on an old saying) but to me it seems the reverse of the rest, i.e. takes time to understand and so breaks the mood, especially live.

Shades on my eyes? (cliche maybe). Balm? (also not very obvious).

Perhaps just me, though, and everything else I really liked.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
Adam: Totally agree  :) That's the one line that I both loved because it took a well known saying and turned it on its head, because it nailed exactly what I was trying to say in a handful of syllables, because it rhymed... and at the same time it's the one line that jumps out. I thought and thought (for a few days) but couldn't come up with anything better or that fitted so nicely.

Neil: Thanks for the comment on the two guitars. When I rediscovered this snippet in my folder of ideas it was those guitars that made me think it was worth another go. When I got back into it I did remember using the verse melody as an exercise in trying to sing a semi-tone change (something I always struggle to do) and it was that choice of melody that then led me to the chords - so they are slightly unusual, but all diatonic (save for the brief colouring Gm) so hopefully they work together.

Jamie: Thanks buddy. Glad you liked it.

Tinam: Thanks for the positivity and I'm glad I'm on an upward trajectory in your view of my songs  :)  The guitars are a bit muffled, I agree. I must confess I'm into the guitar playing and song-writing rather than the recording. The latter is simply a microphone placed on my desk, usually with the window open and traffic going by in summer, sometimes the dog barking and (in this one) people talking outside the room. I then press record, play one or two takes, and it's done. I know I should get into recording and mixing and mastering and all that properly, but at the moment there's scarcely time to do the above let alone more. Glad you found it romantic, beautiful and wistful - those were my intentions :)

Skub: sorry if I spoiled your day, man! But you'll appreciate the light more once you've walked hand in hand through the darkness with me!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:57:41 AM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »
Del, I really like this. The playing as usual is exquisitely inventive along with your voice (but remember to put the pop-protector in front of your mic). The chord progression and melody is unusual in the verse but really resolves nicely and in a traditional way towards the end. It's kind of like folk-lego, but done very well indeed. I think your stripped-down productions really make your talent shine. Great stuff.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
Very nice Derek, you are the master round here of this kind of understatement  :)

Your music never feels forced and welcomes the listener in, and this is another fine example.

I'll let you off for doing complicated major-to-minor chord tricks, which I would never do!  :-X

The picking is at the level of perfection we have come to expect from you and the whole song is lovely.

Tom.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »
Hey Del,

Lovely stuff mate.So easy on the ears.I wish I had your guitar skills! It's such an unusual melody in the verse which I applaud.I agree with Tina I got no sad vibes from this,just a laid back Sunday stroll in the sunshine kind of vibe.Its a shame about the pops on your vocal mate.Your singing is lovely and I know you don't care about the production so much (which is fine) but it's such an easy thing to take care of during the recording process and your vocal deserves to be heard/recorded well.  ;D

Lovely song mate.
Leo

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »
tender lovely vocal
gentle feel
nice gtr frills not too much just right
the reverb gives it an airy concert nature ..expected an audience response at the finish
lovely stuff delboy
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »
Thank you Martyn, Tom, Leo and Nooms. Your kind comments are very much appreciated  :)

Just to clarify, I actually do care about the production a little more than I probably let on - and I'm massively envious of the abilities and knowledge on show here. It's just I don't have the skills / ear / gear to do much more than what I do. Mostly it's a time and inclination thing, though. I tend to always be short of time and when I have some I prefer to spend it practicing my finger-picking and writing songs than trying to fathom out mic placement (or even mic choice) and what all those hundreds of buttons do on my computer DAW. The good news is that one day when I'm ready to record all of this stuff properly I'll employ an expert so hopefully the recording quality will be good when it really matters.

On another note, this place really works. Leaps and bounds and all that  :)

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:44:52 AM »
delboy,

I enjoyed this song...in particular the chords you were picking! I love to hear something different like this song from time to time.

You're singing voice is excellent in my opinion...sounds great!

I liked the 'you've been the one' repeated section throughout...it had a strong feeling behind it I thought!

Well done,

Paul :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
Hi Del,

I love your guitar playing and singing - that's enough to keep me happy but on top of that you've written this lovely song and delivered it so beautifully. I wish I had written this - it's just the thing I try (and fail) to accomplish. Technically there are some explosive pops on your vocal - are you using a pop shield?. Other than that, perfect.

M

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
Del,

Those guitars really suck you , they are brilliant, I know that I am going to hear a sad song straight away.
They lyrics convey your thoughts, simple , honest and to the point.

I would love to hear this live👏👏

My favourite of your songs to date

Sandeep