Heart Of Us - contemporary pop song

• 22 Replies

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:15:40 PM »
Hi

This song was one I wrote fairly quickly, yet it feels like one of my strongest. Writing this reminded me of how much I love song writing!

I'd really like some ideas on how I could improve this from a production point of view, and perhaps lyrically? In the end I would love it if an artist wanted to record this song, so I really need to make sure it's presented well, and frankly it's not there yet!!

https://www.reverbnation.com/olivergearing/song/24513158-heart-of-us

Thanks for your support

LYRICS

It's enough
And I don't mind
People change over time

It's enough
That you and me
drift apart easily

It's enough
The years go by
For the smallest thing
So hard we try

It's enough
But everyday
We're growing colder

Then you tell me that there's something that you miss
I can help you to pretend it don't exist
And then we're OK, dry your tears and stop the fuss
You've got to listen, got to listen to the heart of us

It's enough
But something's changed
And I don't know what to say

But it's enough
If a little strained
Getting closer to the pain
It's enough
The weeks roll by
Everything
Makes you cry

It's enough
But everyday
It's getting harder

Then you tell me that there's something that you miss
I can help you to pretend it don't exist
Or I can hold you, pretend there's no-one else but us
You've got to listen, got to listen, to the heart of us

Then you tell me that there's nothing that you miss
I am sorry for my part of it in this
Now we're ok, our lost years have turned to dust
You've got to listen, got to listen
To the heart of us

Copyright Oliver Gearing

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:38:17 PM »
This is a lovely song, Oliver...

Couple of very minor things for me, personally... I'd perhaps look at the line "so hard we try" again
And (although used by Jeff Beck and The Beatles) I'd avoid the word "fuss" - dunno why...simple word prejudice, I guess!

Loved the piano and your vocals are great too...really impressive  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 04:09:51 AM »
Beautiful lyrics which I think are fine as they are. I liked the opening with just piano and vocal. Lovely vocal I especially liked the high notes. I was expecting the bass and drums to kick in at some point but it still works well as it. The harmony vocals help build up a nice dynamic. As does the build down towards the end.
Really nice song

Lyriclee

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »
The lyrics are short and snappy! I really like them! And the piano really blends with the lyrics! The vocals work really well because i cant imagine this song being "belted out".  The main vocals and backing vocals work so good together!!

Really impressed with this! 😎

Cant wait to hear more

Lee

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:06:27 AM »
Oliver. I know this chord progression is very well used but I thought that you really took it another direction. Loved the mellow vocals

John

olivergearing

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:13:17 AM »
Great feedback everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time...

Couple of very minor things for me, personally... I'd perhaps look at the line "so hard we try" again
And (although used by Jeff Beck and The Beatles) I'd avoid the word "fuss" - dunno why...simple word prejudice, I guess!

Thanks Paul. I'll have a look at that line, perhaps change it to "we have to try"?

In terms of the fuss line, I had an earlier version that was:

"Then we're OK, dry your tears and suck it up,
You've go to listen, got to listen to the heart of us"

Do you think that works better?

Mo, Lee and John - thanks so much for your kind words, it really helps give confidence that this is worth pursuing!

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
Slow burner, decent vocals, didn't quite move on as I expected and was hoping for a slightly bigger finish.
But overall very professional sounding.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 10:35:29 PM »
Oh...just ignore me, Oliver...it's fine as it is :)

"We have to try" is great!

Believe it or not...I was writing a middle 8 for one of my songs and I'd used "fuss" to rhyme with "us" and I had a hissy fit with myself over it!

Having heard some more of your stuff...I'd cross my name off your "people to listen to" list if I were you :)

Best wishes and keep the songs coming!

Paul
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
I love the simplicity of it. 

It's a very complete song because of (not in spite of) the simplicity.  I agree it's one of your best.  A very, very worthwhile song in my opinion. 

If this were available in Karaoke, I would HAVE TO sing it.  It's not often that I feel that way. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

olivergearing

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
@ MoreFrog
Thanks for the listen Morefrog - you're right about some sort of crescendo - I'll definitely think about that and try and work it in...

@ PaulAds
LOL!! Please keep the opinions coming, I really value your input! Your tracks are excellent, and I can learn lots from your experience/feedback. Next time I try and rhyme "fuss" I'll think of you!

@ Hard Twist

Thanks for the kind words, that is really high praise! I really appreciate the support - it gives me great confidence to get back in the studio and sort the final version out!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »
A very beautiful song with a nice piano motif and love the harmonies..I feel it should develop more but as is it's good enough to present to anyone...this version shows the song off in a simple way, which is probably a good thing..

very difficult to get a song to an artist nowadays though..seems to be a closed shop and all they have to do is nick a bit of it and use it in a different context..

good luck.. :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:44 AM »
Hi there - really enjoyed it.

It has something timeless about it - but for a more commercial sound I too think it would benefit from a lift in the middle with bass and (light) drums coming in. I think you sensed that too as after the first chorus (around 1'20" on) the piano came through more heavily as if to say here we go....

The only example I can think of right now is Hello by Adele - she has a way bigger chorus, which is fine, but in verse two (around 3'20" on the video) you can hear quite well how the rhythm section - quite subtly - comes in underneath the keys. Not a perfect example but could be the first step of the development that Kevin refers to. Next chorus should probably be the high point.

However, I would definitiely take it back down after the piano solo like you do now. Really tender ending which I wouldn't change.

olivergearing

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
@ Kevin

Thanks mate, really appreciate the comments. I might have a play about with some strings/guitar/drums perhaps and see what comes out?

I definitely need to increase the production quality if I have any ambitions for this...

@ Adam, thanks for the thoughts! I've heard the Adele song a couple of times on the radio, but I'll get a copy and give it a good thorough listen. Thanks for your super helpful comments...

Oli

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 02:42:58 AM »
Hi OG,

Wow what a sensitive voice... Like how you sing so
silent in the verses. Nice use of the facet voice...
Lovely piano arrangement and vocal harmonies in the
chorus...
The second time 'then you tell me' (which is wonderful
btw) could use some build up instrumentally imo (rock
guitars, more powerful drums?)
Then the fallback to 'Then you tell me..' for the
third time would gain from the loss of energy imo...
I'm impressed my friend... Respect!

MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 12:21:18 AM »
Hi Oliver,

I've listened to this a few times and each time I was so impressed.....Great intimacy , music supports the lyrics, Fantastic lead vocal and harmonies.....

The only thing I would say that I think a progression from super up close and intimate can evolve into something bigger and more inclusive...just by bringing up the size of the room and the mix of the instrumentation and panning out the harmonies....In visual terms it's like starting with a very tight shot of the singer's face above the piano and a long. long pullback showing the entire stage and audience...and at the very end returning to the up close vocals and tight shot....You get a feeling of having traveled through the verses and emotions....
Anyhow great work!!!!!

igg