konalavadome

The Love Song of Caroline and Joe

• 7 Replies

Viva La Stereo

• Open Mic
« on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Hey people. With this song I focused a lot on the lyrics, I wanted a mixture of narrative and abstract lyrics. I wanted the song to tell a story on various different levels at the same time. As usual, it's a bit rough around the edges but I don't mind, I'm not going for a thousand pound production. What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/vivalastereo/the-love-song-of-caroline-and-joe

Mississippi Joe and Caroline the queen
And all the good people livin' in between
Sailing idly by on boats made of bone
Searching high and low for a permanent home where

I hope they can find it in their hearts
To try again and never fall down
I hope they can find it in their minds
To love themselves for who they are
For who they, for who they...

Railroad kisses with a mysterious bride
Moonshine mysteries with nocturnal wives
I fell in love with a woman and she saved my life
Said Joe, at the funeral

And all you lucky people you better listen well
And all you sons of bitches with something to sell
You can all go to hell I bid you farewell
Shouted Joe, from the top of the stairwell

And I don't think I have much longer
And I say for maybe the last time
It was all good, you made my life complete

I hope you can carry on the way things were before
Put one foot in front of the other and just breathe
You've done this before you can do it again
Just stroll on...

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »
Yo VLS.

As ever I find your lyrics captivating,like a bong inspired magic carpet ride.  8)

The song in the closing stages reminded me of the first time I heard the NIN doing Hurt..maybe it was the desolate,howling wind which provoked the memory,I dunno.

Leaving aside the production issues,which you've already said don't overly concern you,your songs are more of an experience,than just pieces of music.

It's not often at my age I hear anything original,but I think I just did.  8)

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
Hey Viva,

Smashing man, impeccable lyrics.

I hope they can find it in their hearts
To try again and never fall down
I hope they can find it in their minds
To love themselves for who they are

I love the subtitles here, where you'd expect finding love in your heart I think it's quite powerful how you've associated the heart with preservation and the mind with love. Adds another level and gets me thinking about how it's so often an aching and heavy heart which blocks the good intentions of the mind, and a clouded anxious mind which stands in the way of love.

Anything this direct always puts a smile on my face - and again love the imagery and the storytelling.
And all you lucky people you better listen well
And all you sons of bitches with something to sell
You can all go to hell I bid you farewell
Shouted Joe, from the top of the stairwell
And damn, go to hell, whilst Joe's going up...

I could spend too long going through these lines... think you've done splendid here and executed an interesting goal very well indeed. Takes me back to school days when you analyse poems to explore all thew undertones, messages and intents - sure you could keep a class busy digging into this one!

Musically it's classic you, which I enjoy very much. Very effective changes of energy (if that's the right word) to aid the story along.

Cheers,
Scott :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:22 PM »
Very mellow indie Americana vibe to this.  Vocals very good - nicely fragile and unstrained, lots of vibrato to them and I loved the way you doubled-track some parts to thicken them up and help the song build.  It reminded me a little bit of Grant Lee Buffalo (that wide open sound to it) or Neutral Milk Hotel (probably more to do with the images in the lyrics).  The abstract nature of the lyrics worked well for me because they are evocative little pictures in their own right, whether or not you understand the full story - "boats made of bone", Joe shouting "from the top of the stairwell" - they all conjure up vivid pictures.  I don't think I'd change anything here since the sparseness of it is part of the appeal.  Very pleasant piece of work VLS!
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
very atmospheric song and lyrically paints picture in your mind...not sure about the vocals in the chorus..was it too much verb? sounded a bit metallic ???
good feel through out though.. :) :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:14:12 AM »
Very nice to listen to this - reminded me of Neil Young's early stuff - if you raised the register you could probably sound like Mr Young no prob.
I wasn't keen on the double tracked chorus vocals if I'm being honest and would have liked a lyrical hook to take away but that's just me liking formula..
Has a nice laid back groove which was worth the price of admission right there  ;D ;D
Paul

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »
Wow, that was really beautiful. Your voice is gorgeous. And your lyrics are so great, with all those unexpected choices that bring it to a higher level. You've made a piece of art.

Lynn

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
Track not found? :(
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini