konalavadome

The Shape of You

• 25 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »
This is fresh from the lyrics section - no idea what genre  ;D ;D
Still some tweaks needed, timing fixed etc. but would love to read your impression of this.

Paul

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/the-shape-of-you-1

The Shape of You
Copyright (c) 2017 Tennyson Road Music

I was never too fond of squares
And circles don't lead anywhere
Hexagons suffer from too many sides
And there's nothing inspiring 'bout simple straight lines
But I'll come to my point of view:
I like the shape of you

I like the shape of you
I like the shape of you
A quick double-take is all I can do
When you make your way into a room
'Cause I like the shape of you

I don't care for trapezoids
And triangles - I avoid
I shun parallelograms
And I'll leave Pentagons to old uncle Sam
You're the one I'm attracted to
I like the shape of you

I like the shape of you
I like the shape of you
When you make your way into a room
'Cause I like the shape of you

When you make your way - into a room
'Cause I like the shape
The model, the make..

I like the shape of you!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:06:27 AM by Paulski »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »
Ah ! The lovely Paulski Piano. It's unmistakenly you from the first few bars. Wah ! didn't expect the bossa nova beat and the funky bass synth. There is a lovely chord progression in the chorus and I was singing along to it before the end of the chorus. Brilliant, quirky and original - Bravo  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:35 PM »
Hey Paul.

Very cleverly worded and some great pickup lines for old letcherous  scuzzbuckets!  :D

Musically I like what you've done (I hadn't heard the song before) but I wasn't that keen on the 'farty arse-trumpet' bass sound,though it was less intrusive in the closing bars...and on repeated listens,maybe it's ok? Nothing like incisive critique from me.  :D

One in your best Randy Newman tradition. It'll be in the new Toy Story flick.  :)

It's wonderfully short. Currently,I'm into wonderfully short songs.  ;D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Yes...the lyrics are really fantastic!

I was quite taken by surprise by the change of instrumentation when it picks up the pace...and I kind of missed your piano when it dropped out...but it's a top quality and fun write. I maybe wasn't so keen on the bass and guitar sounds, if I'm honest...though they work really well to highlight the contrast between the two segments...I think I'd have kept a little more continuity running through it.

Very, very good though  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
This was VERY ENTERTAINING - that crazy synth bass in the chorus really got me. It makes it very special.
Playful; creative; with the pop beat; the synth; that minor chord introducing the chorus; the lead guitar...WOW...did you play all this by yourself?

impressed

B.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Super talented Paulski strikes again..lyrics are superb man!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
As above. I loved this in the lyrics section and you've excelled yourself again here. I am sure you could write professionally for musical theatre. Very clever, witty and interesting. No nits but plenty of bravos from me.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »
great imagination on display here as well as the strong songwriting we expect from you Paul. love the line about the Pentagon. genius.
Agree with Monty dog that you are destined for the West End. Theatre land would love you.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »
This is pure fun, whatever angle you look at it from.  Lovely, arch & over-the-top.  Superbly sung as ever. Paulski strikes again.
It's all too beautiful.

Royston

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »
I think everything's been said about this song the piano intro is excellent then that burst of energy that jumps in, and the lyrics and melody flow along nicely a very enjoyable song in deed.

Royston

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for listening and commenting  ;D

I wasn't sure how this one would go down what with its 6/8 major key verses and 4/4 minor key choruses not to mention the extreme tempo shifts. My wife call it jerky (or maybe she called me a jerk - can't remember  ;D) But the song insisted that was what it wanted and who am I to argue with a song? At least I removed the bridge which pushed it even further OTT  ;D ;D

@pompeyjazz thanks John. very kind of you - quirky works for me  ;D

@Skub - cheers skub - humbled by the Randy Newman comparison. Yeah I knew that farty synth might raise some shackles - but that's a risk the song was prepared to take (I tried talking him out of it)

@PaulAds - thanks Paul - I'm still learning guitar effects as you can tell. If they'd only put some keys on the bldy thing  ;D

@TheButcher - thank you too B. Yes you can blame it all on me. No-one else showed up!  ;D

@shadowfax - cheers Kevin - not sure about the talented bit, but the lyrics were fun to write  - so glad you liked them

@montydog - thanks Alan - give my regards to broadway will ya? Much appreciated comments coming from a man of your talents.

@mickyplankton - cheers micky. Glad you liked the pentagon line - popped out of my wee brain one day, unannounced  ;D

PaulyX - cheers PaulyX - appreciate the vocals comment esp. There are still a few warts on that track  ;D - glad they didn't stand out too much.

Royston - thanks Royston - and thanks for the soundcloud comment too!

Hope I didn't miss anyone, if I did thanks to U2!

Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »
Paul, its a strong, strong song, it could be a standard.
Both parts work well on their own and by the second time you know whats coming.
The only thing that stood out was the synth bass, I wasn't too sure about the patch.
Love the guitar too I must say.
Quality
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
I love this! I must admit I found the bass-y bit in the chorus a little off putting, but the lyrics are so cute! I feel like the verses could use an extra line before you go to the "I like the shape of you" but it does still work :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »
Classic Paulski stuff....and then BOOM :P

Hat off to you for pushing it out there. The lyrics are great, you have great concepts.

The second section took me by surprise and so I did listen to this a few times just to get used to it and it works. For me anyway. Except there is one instrument in there that is slightly off time and making a clicking/slapping type noise? That could use tightening up/tweaking. Other than that I really like how you've come at this in a new and fresh way.

Top work as always!!

Darren

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Hi Paul,

Well now. This is different.
I'm not quite sure what to write - it's nothing like anything I usually listen to.
It's a little bit bonkers, totally funtastic, and excellently crafted.

A surprising listen.

Digger