konalavadome

Don't wait for me

• 21 Replies

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
I've been working on a lot of stuff, but this one is my latest attempt at a properly structured and catchy rock song with a few twists. Lyrics were a bit stream of consciousness (as always). No autotune here by the way, so be gentle on my pitchiness...

https://soundcloud.com/sciencebase/dont-wait-for-me

Don't wait for me

And though, the waiting game is over, There's never time to really change your mind
You'll see that if at first it's clover, Next time, it's thorns that you will find

Don't wait for me, I won't be coming
Don't to turn to see, what you think you left behind
If at first, you really don't feel anything
Then the blind don't need to lead the blind

There's a time and a turning point for everything, And everything will turn out in the end
You know the thorns will cut and tear your fragile skin, Next time, let armour be your friend

Don't look at me, I won't be running
Don't turn away, from what you see ahead
If at first you really don't feel anything
Then the rest is better left unsaid

At last, the wounds begin their healing, But, skin bears the scars just the same
I know that armour won't save your feelings, In the end, it's such a vicious game

Don't wait for me, I won't be coming
Don't to turn to see, what you think you left behind
If at first, you really don't feel anything
Then the blind don't need to lead the blind
Don't wait for me, don't wait for me, don't wait
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:04:35 PM by sciencebase »

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »
Hi Sciencebase,

now that was a pleasant listen...sounds good to me. I think the vocals need to go up at the loud guitar bits

but what a drive!
after that (great!) solo....why not keep that loud guitar running...no mercy... ;D

but cool yes, very cool
 8)

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
Hi Sciencebase,

now that was a pleasant listen...sounds good to me. I think the vocals need to go up at the loud guitar bits

but what a drive!
after that (great!) solo....why not keep that loud guitar running...no mercy... ;D

but cool yes, very cool
 8)

Thanks!

Yeah...this is a rather rough mix...the driving guitar wasn't even in the first pass...but maybe needs to be there a bit more and I need to drink more whiskey to get my throat rougher for this kind of song...

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
actually, i think you vocal is very fitting, the rather smooth sound with the heavy guitar works, so no need for whiskey as far as i am concerned

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
actually, i think you vocal is very fitting, the rather smooth sound with the heavy guitar works, so no need for whiskey as far as i am concerned

Darn it! I was looking for an excuse to crack open a bottle of Black Bush...

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »
hahaha, go ahead, i was only referring to the need to bathe your vocal chords in whiskey..

cheers

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
hahaha, go ahead, i was only referring to the need to bathe your vocal chords in whiskey..

cheers

Hah! Cool...I usually save that kind of treat for Xmas to be honest, a few beers this evening with my home-cooked curry might do the trick though.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
Thinking that I might MIDI a keyboard sound to parallel the heavy guitar figure...allow me to keep that drive going without it being incessant distorted guitar...

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:39:25 PM »
MIDIfied and synthed up version now online...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
Good poppy/prog song, well arranged.
Think you ticked the structure, catchy rock box.
And wow what a guitar riff - is that played on the SG in the picture?
Thoughts: I think I'd be tempted to put either a powerchord or big synth under the chorus.
:) :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, I originally thought about using some big power chords but with open top strings in the choruses...and then didn't get around to it. I think they'd fit best in the bit where the synths have their standalone spot towards the end and the guitar lick isn't playing...

Sorry, no, I didn't record this on the SG, I just borrowed that for the jam when that photo was taken a while back...my recording electric is an Ibanez RG (loads of pickups and a locking whammy bar)

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
I had a play...recorded a power chords from 1'40" which lead into the solo better I think

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 11:06:05 AM »
Wow, that drives along! Nice combination of smooth vocal with gritty guitar - you can really play. I thought your lyrics were excellent - I particularly liked this:

"At last, the wounds begin their healing, But, skin bears the scars just the same
I know that armour won't save your feelings, In the end, it's such a vicious game"

Only criticism is your vocals go a little out of tune when you sing loudly but that just needs a bit of practice. This is an extremely good piece of work - catchy and well written and no clichés - hooray!

Nice one.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Yeah, been a bit under the weather vocally cos of pollen and it is a bit pitchy where I get loud...

Glad you liked the song. I hope I never use a cliche in a song, I almost always ad lib words to my songs and then write them up to see if they make sense and edit them around, they're usually just nonsense, cliches tend to have meaning.  :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:10:47 AM by sciencebase »

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
Ya...this song really rocks...love it...I too liked the contrast between the mellow vocals and the driving guitar...you can really play that thing :)...great lyrics...can't really hear anything I'd change, although I kind of lost the vocals at the end of the 2nd verse, so you might want to bring them up a bit... awesome song...thanks for this share :)