Ocean

• 6 Replies

lors

• Busker
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
Hi all,

This next song is called Ocean. It's the first song I wrote on keyboard. I don't know how to play piano or anything and I can't even remember the chords haha! When I wrote this song, I remember feeling very calm and relaxed. Every time I feel stressed out, I play this and feel better. At least, that's the effect with me.

I'm hoping that it evokes a similar effect for you as well. I consider it finished but the way I see it, none of my stuff is ever "finished." Haha

I'm actually thinking of adding percussion, maybe strings or guitar melody. But I'm concerned it will change the overall vibe.

What do you suggest?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12853585

regards,

lors

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
Really good. Like it the melody bouncing one to the other is really nice. As a piece of incidental music it is pretty much complete and that might be all you want from the composition - however it has the potential to be a really nice song. I could hear a really nice melody in the piano which would easily translate to a vocal. But - the 'song' would need more elements. A more clearly defined verse chorus structure which at the moment is not there for me to hear anyway.  As a piece - for what it is worth I would not add drums and that - does not need it - maybe a bit of guitar. As a song - don't add drums - finish it and then worry about arranging it.

I do hope this helps a little. Be lucky. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Spee-aider

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
I really like this. Beautiful! Not sure if it's the recording though, but there's a lot of resonance on that low background keyboard sound. I quite like the echo you've used. I often overdo it, but this is just right. If it were my track, I would probably either shorten the track, or add some other elements around the 3 minute mark. Having said that, adding things bring their own complications, because then you have to take them out at some point in the right way. I like how it goes much quieter for the ending, very nice.

lors

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm still thinling about what to add. I only want to add some accents so I don't lose the overall feel of the song, which already works for me in the sense that it's meant to evoke a sense of calm.

With regards to the bass swell, yes I hear it. Trouble is it's part of a keyboard preset. If I lower that, it will affect another instrument. I will try EQ or maybe volume to mellow that out a bit.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
Hi Lors,

if you can sort out the bass swell it will be a lot better, as you know. The only thing I'd suggest you add is the sounds of waves and seagulls every now and again as the chorus. It will break up the sound of the piano in a natural way and just a little spice.

No other instruments needed in my view. Beautiful piece,

Keith

lors

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
Hi Lors,

if you can sort out the bass swell it will be a lot better, as you know. The only thing I'd suggest you add is the sounds of waves and seagulls every now and again as the chorus. It will break up the sound of the piano in a natural way and just a little spice.

No other instruments needed in my view. Beautiful piece,

Keith

Thanks Keith! That's an excellent idea!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
Pleased to help. Don't forget to post the result if it works.

Keith