Open Mic

• 124 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
Not been around too much recently - it's part of my dedicated attempt to practice the guitar more and surf the web less! Loads of songs to catch up on, but I'm not sure how many I'll manage or when. Meanwhile, I'll be really self-indulgent and post another thread about myself :-)

Did the latest in a short line of solo acoustic finger-picking gigs last night and it was great  ;D I only had to do 35 mins (later on I did another 35 with a band) so I could choose all my best stuff. The audience reaction was brilliant - loads of people there, and they were there for the right reason (i.e. they knew what sort of music they were getting), and the were attentive, supportive, and even gave me an encore. Loads of positive comments, including one lady who said she loved my voice - always happy to get positive comments about that as I know my guitar playing is okay, but the voice... A couple of people commented nicely on my songs, too, especially I Learned To Walk which always goes well.

It was part of the Gloucester Rhythm and Blues week so I tried to keep it bluesy but I'm a country boy at heart so I mixed up the Mississippi John Hurt stuff with some John Prine and some Kris Kristofferson!

It feels like it's starting to coalesce. I need a few more songs, well, a whole second set, and I need to do a lot more networking. And I need my fingers to harden up - I've been waiting 40 years for calluses to form but... this morning I have blisters and broken skin on my finger tips and I'm doing it all again tomorrow with a trio. But, yes, all heading in the right direction and I even managed three originals the set last night "Dig", "You've Been The One", and "I Learned To Walk".

Pretty happy this morning.

West Country Country Boy

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
Great stuff, Derek...pleased you're getting the recognition you deserve...you have lovely warm, friendly and humorous persona - and a great bunch of songs too.

Takes a lot of nerve to get up there and do it solo...and it takes a lot more than nerve to be successful at it 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
Great to see someone doing the work and it paying off. Hope you keep moving forward.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
I hope you're putting The Happy Song in your set! Any excuse to say hard-on in public.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:27 PM »
I feel pretty lucky. If I was, say, an Adele fan (I mean, I am. I think she's great and I listen to her second album a lot. But I don't love her music like I do the guys below) it would cost me hundreds of pounds to go and see her at a stadium where she is a dot on a distant stage.

Two of my favourite singer-songwriters in the world at the moment are Jeffrey Foucault and Jim Crawford.

Jeffrey comes from the Midwest USA, but I saw him recently at a gig in Bristol so small that at one point he stood amongst us and sang acoustically. People were talking to him afterwards - he was just standing there, amongst us. But I was a little too star-struck to approach him. I mean, this was Jeffrey Foucault for goodness sake. One of the best there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3czmNZbCGA

Jim Crawford lives a little closer to home. He's down in Devon, but last week he played in Gloucester. Not only did I get to listen to his amazing music, I got to buy him a drink, him buy me one, and we sat for an hour and talked about fishing - a passion we discovered we both share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T279xSJ5-CI

Times are good for fans of acoustic music.
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 01:05:13 AM »
Two gigs today! First up was the boogie woogie band doing a late afternoon/ early evening charity gig to help raise money for a local hospice, them it was tear down the gear and head on over to do a duo set at a friend's wedding. Great fun, both gigs. Sleep now!
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »
Great job DELBOY

It is great that you managed to get so close to your favourites, and I know what you mean about being star struck

I played in support bands for Eric Clapton a few times and found it hilarious that I was trying to be a "contemporary" back stage, when all I wanted to do was be a "fan boy"

The finger calluses will come but you will still get the occasional blister for no apparent reason!

It is awesome you are getting good feedback on your songs and performances - onwards and upwards...

...and keep us posted, it is great following your "story"
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 02:25:13 PM »
I've been taking a well earned break from even thinking about writing songs. June, July, and August were full on gigging - and all of a sudden it's gone quiet. It's lovely. Nice just to kick back and do some fishing, take a few photos, and let the fingers rest (all in between working, of course). Today I thought 'd catch up here - and I see a few of my favourites have been posting songs. Can't wait to hear them, alas my broadband appears to be playing up and I can't stream anything at the moment. Maybe tomorrow!
West Country Country Boy

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »
So, following my September break we had a very intense rehearsal for last Saturday's gig. Then the gig itself, which though just an average gig, was pretty hard work on the fingers. And lo and behold this week I've had a bad pain in my wrist whenever I open a door, lift a kettle, change gears in the car, or... play a guitar. Been taking it easy and wearing one of those wrist support bandages and today I've been playing a few simple tunes. Reckon I just over did it.

Anyway, here's a quick video of us last Saturday. I'm just playing a bit of back-up rhythm and lead here. It's one of Sid's songs.

https://youtu.be/_JdOOdLfTRo

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »
So sorry about your wrist, delb0y! That happened to me when I was playing a lot in the 1980s. I ended up going to the doctor who said it was tendonitis (which I think might be another way to say "carpal tunnel") caused by bending my wrist around the neck of the guitar. I clearly remember the pain, so I am definitely sympathetic. I had to take it easy for awhile, but it got better. Hope yours clears up fast.

Vicki

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »
Hand appears to be on the mend. Wore my support bandage all week and avoided the guitar (give or take ten minutes here and there). Hopefully be playing again properly from tomorrow...
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
Hand appears to be on the mend. Wore my support bandage all week and avoided the guitar (give or take ten minutes here and there). Hopefully be playing again properly from tomorrow...

That's good news! Glad to hear it.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2016, 11:37:40 PM »
This is great Del. Loved the vid. Great to see you knocking out your stuff live. Looks like it was well appreciated  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »
just a quick line to say how much i enjoy reading this thread, Derek...i enjoyed the video too

keep us posted, please  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter