konalavadome

Chasing Clocks Acoustic/Folk/Rock - song a week project

• 16 Replies

davegerard

• Busker
« on: August 08, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just dicovered these forums today, and thought it would be really useful to meet other songwriters from the UK

I'm running a song a week project, where I write and record a brand new song every week. The idea is to keep me motivated and I can then keep and work on the ones I like.

My latest is called chasing Clocks

Click Here to Listen 

Its a very rough mix, will be able to do a proper mix in the next few days! All thoughts welcome

Dave

Chasing Clocks
Im most alone in the crowds
Chasing shadows and city clocks,
And Boy these days linger
And these weeks get so lost

Here live the lonliest people,
In the busiest of place
And the most self-assured
Are the ones with no grace

Goodbye  seems such a cruel term
But my hearts never here
Goodbye seems such a cruel term,
But I’m gone without a tear

The sky is never dark here,
And silence is never close
And those who’ve nothing to say
Are the ones that talk the most
http://www.facebook.com/davegerardmusic - Like us on facebook and help us out! x

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »
Hey Dave

Thanks for joining our little forum.  We love to hear new members' songs, so thanks for posting!

I love the idea of a song a week.  Might have a go at doing it myself. I really need a kick up the arse when it comes to songwriting.

First off, lovely voice, lovely recording! You've been doing this a while it's clear.

Very nice and appropriate guitar work, and the lyrics are very fitting to the melody/ harmony. Really like the last line -
And those who’ve nothing to say
Are the ones that talk the most
Can't fault this song actually - it's really nice. Emotional, musical, dynamic. If I had to force myself to make a suggestion it would be for the song to break free for a few or more bars and let the guitar wander, or maybe bring in a cello or piano. But that's more arranging than songwriting.

Very nice work, keep em coming!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:01:14 PM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

mikefleck

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
Hey man I saw ure stuff on the muses muse website. I prefer this one for some reason, I loved your tracks on your soundcloud. What do you use to record your stuff? I used to own an edirol FA101 through logic pro, but the FA broke now im left with recording crappy quality youtube vids till i get more funds. Your track clouds of smoke is amazin love the rhodes sound u got goin on it.

british anarchy

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
that player has got to be the best one i have ever seen i want it for my site !!!!!!!!!

on another note the speed of the song just picked up and was getting intresting then it cut out slowed right down
British anarchy,is her to stay
worse than world war 1 2 infinity

davegerard

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »
Hi Tone

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think you should absolutely do the song a week, I think its great motivation and more realistic and sustainable that other songa day projects, let me know how it goes. Thanks very much for the critique.

mikefleck - Thats a bummer it broke, I've had a 2 presonuses which have both broken, its seems its hard to find reliable ones. I use cubase and presonuse firetube preamp (although the tube preamps are broken suprise suprise!) and a UAD which is really great but hideously overpriced.

The rhodes sound was lounge lizard VST, it has some beautiful electri piano sounds.

british anarchy - Thanks for checking the tune out, I sent you a message but just in case you didn't read it the player is from soundcloud.com and is free and I'd recommend it bit time!

Thanks guys

Dave
http://www.facebook.com/davegerardmusic - Like us on facebook and help us out! x

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
Dave, absolutely great voice!!!!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:11:46 AM »
Just back from a holiday so only just heard this. I love it. Really love the vocals and the tone of your voice. The lyrics gave me something to think about and everything fit together just perfectly.
Would be nice to hear some strings in there, especially as tone suggested, a Chello. Although I would understand entirely if you would feel that would change the mood of the song into something different from what you wanted.
Can't wait to hear the next  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
Great songs, all of them. I love the simplicity of the recording too, clean as a whistle. Might be nice to hear some beefier choruses but maybe that's just me. Good work!

sylverskymusic

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
love this track, great lyrics and a fantastic voice

More Than I Ever Hoped

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:12 AM »
this is amazing  :o nothing i would every change about it

well done  ;D

miniking

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
Wow! This is the first song I have listened to and I love it. Beautiful acoustic guitar, I love the open dissonance sound. Is it in an open tuning? The voice is lovely, expressive and personal. I love the kit especially the four-to-the-floor kick it picks the song up perfectly. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! A humbling experience, thank you. I have downloaded all your songs from your website and they will go on my iPod (with your permission please). I can't wait to play these to my wife and my brother.

Cherd

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 07:05:40 AM »
Nicely written man, nice voice too.  Your vocal style kind of reminds me of Joshua Radin.

davegerard

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »
Just been away for a few weeks, thanks for such a great response.

I'm looking for a Cello player actually really tough to find though!

Anyone can of course download them and share them with whoever they wish (thanks for the support) and yes its in open tuning

Thanks guys

Dave

TNMC

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:59:42 AM »
Wow Dave, that really blew me away, I just wasn't expecting it to be soooo good. I really would go out and buy that if I heard it on the radio! Awesome. I love the guitar, I love the voice and I love the lyrics, if you don't get anywhere with talent like that, then  the rest of us might as well give up now. I have only just joined this forum but I have already heard some amazing songs but that has to be the best so far.
Is it just me or does anyone else hear a bit of Gary Lightbody (Snow Patrol) in the vocals? Thats meant to be a compliment, I hope you take that way Dave.

Cheers

Liam.

Cherd

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 12:12:38 AM »
If you're looking for a cello player without breaking the bank your best bet is to get in touch with the music department of a local college or something, you get a lot of competent musicians there.