Songwriter Forum > Resources & Marketing

Songwriting course

(1/3) > >>

Mrs.Tobi:
Hello, Sonwriters

I would like your opinion on something:

1) What do you think about taking an online course on Songwriting?

2) How would you choose the course?

3) Would you go for the reputation of the music institution (like Berklee)?

4) Has anyone ever took one?

5) if yes, how was the experience? Would you recommend? Would you ever do another one?

6) has  anyone taken an online course with Berklee? They have a good reputation but they are expensive. Was it wirth the money?

7) Are there any other online songwriting courses wich you recommend?

Thanx a lot

Johnnyuk:
Hi,
I would advise checking out all the free songwriters on youtube. Costs nothing and they give great advice.
Johnny :)

Boydie:
I would suggest being 100% clear on what you/your husband wants from any type of course

Whether a songwriting course is any value is such a tricky question

If we compare it with painting for a minute...

A painting course will help you become a better painter but there is a big difference between paining a landscape, portrait, cartoon etc. etc.

So it is with songwriting - eg - there are lots of techniques you can learn about lyric writing (show don't tell, metaphors, similies, rhyming schemes etc.) but there are so many genres of music that the lyrical approach to folk and Country is going to be different than commercial pop (although I accept there are sume rudimentary similarities but I think you will understand my point)

Much depends on what type of songs you/your husband wants to write - if you could give some examples perhaps we can point you in the right direction

Where do you live - UK? North/South - US? - Europe?

Berkelee is VERY expensive and there are lots of cheaper alternatives - including free YouTube vids if you know what you are looking for and what you want

There are also a gazillion books of varying quality on different aspects (some better than others) so if you can give a little more info on the genre/style we can make some recommendations

pompeyjazz:
I agree with what Boydie has to say but also if you stick around on this forum and panticipate you're going to get loads of help and support  :)

Mrs.Tobi:
Hi, @Boydie. Thanx for your answer. I will answer below the topics

--- Quote from: Boydie on February 24, 2018, 09:14:59 PM ---I would suggest being 100% clear on what you/your husband wants from any type of course

--- End quote ---

I think improvement. That was my idea.

--- Quote from: Boydie on February 24, 2018, 09:14:59 PM ---
Whether a songwriting course is any value is such a tricky question

If we compare it with painting for a minute...

A painting course will help you become a better painter but there is a big difference between paining a landscape, portrait, cartoon etc. etc.

So it is with songwriting - eg - there are lots of techniques you can learn about lyric writing (show don't tell, metaphors, similies, rhyming schemes etc.) but there are so many genres of music that the lyrical approach to folk and Country is going to be different than commercial pop (although I accept there are sume rudimentary similarities but I think you will understand my point)

Much depends on what type of songs you/your husband wants to write - if you could give some examples perhaps we can point you in the right direction

--- End quote ---

Ideally commercial ones but definitely we won’t do “the homework”. You used the expression “write to himself”, so i’d say that. What would you suggest for songwriters who write to themselves? He writes pop, love songs, ballad, contemporary, soul/r&b, upbeat, soft rock, upllifting, country, romantic songs

Where do you live - UK? North/South - US? - Europe?
--- End quote ---

London

Berkelee is VERY expensive and there are lots of cheaper alternatives - including free YouTube vids if you know what you are looking for and what you want
--- End quote ---

Do you think people can get good stuff out there and no need for Berkelees?

There are also a gazillion books of varying quality on different aspects (some better than others) so if you can give a little more info on the genre/style we can make some recommendations

--- End quote ---

Pop,  ballads, contemporary, soul/r&b, upbeat, soft rock, country, romantic

Thank you very much
Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version