5 Reasons Why Singer-Songwriters Win Over Studio Musicians

• 2 Replies

relativityEmA

• Busker
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:53:11 AM »
When assessing our options as a musician, we tend to weight out the pros and cons of each choice. However, there are some that are, for lack of a better word, objectively better than others.

This may turn into a controversial issue, but it is my opinion that singer-songwriters hold more power and have more options than studio musicians.

Sure, as a singer-songwriter, you’ll rely on other musicians to play your music. And as a studio musician, you’ll rely on singer-songwriters’ material for work.

But this list will give you my 5 top reasons why singer-songwriters win over studio musicians most of the time.

Reason #1. Studio Musicians are (mostly) Replaceable and Have Little Power

Studio Musicians are heard and not seen; unless you’re taking in an iconic musician like Travis Barker or Van Halen, or the guest musician is a famous singer, a studio musician can be easily replaceable and has less power.

The best thing that a studio musician can do is to work to make their sound extremely distinct, which is a path that David Guetta took (as well as associating to other famous musicians). But keep in mind that he’s been in his music career for 28 years, and he’s only been very successful in the last few years.

One of the best things that studio musicians can do is to offer their services to the highest caliber, to practice tons, and to do EXACTLY what the artist requests. You should NEVER do what you want to over what the artist wants you to do, but still edge your style in just a little bit.

Also, you should look into music production techniques, and mostly song writing, so that you can offer more than just the ‘music playing‘ part of your services.

This multi-faceted element of your services (if you’re a studio musician) will be much more magnetic and attractive to other serious musicians, which can justify a price hike as you become more known.

Reason #2. Singer-Songwriter’s Are Able to Maintain and Grow Their Power Over Time

When it comes to singer songwriters, they’re able to maintain a base-line of power and can grow their power over the course of time. This is because they don’t really have to rely directly on others to get their music out.

Of course they have to pay for a good studio engineer, and some studio musicians if need be, but they don’t rely on any single person in particular. These people – with all due respect – are hire-able, so it’s simply your ability to leverage the right amount of money towards getting your final product.

Simply put; the value that the songwriter is able to create is mostly equal to the value of the songwriter himself. And if over the course of their career, they are able to increase their abilities to write songs (which they almost always do), they’ll increase in power and get often go over the tipping point into a large-scale recognition (i.e fame). This doesn’t happen as much for studio musicians. Correction: It hardly happens, unless they were FIRST in a popular band that had a singer-songwriter.

Songwriters who can hold their own will hold most of the power, since they’ve created all the value they need to propel them forward. There’s also a peace of mind with them since they know that they can create more value/songs/music in their future to give them even more success/fame.

Reason #3. Singer-Songwriters Create Value; Studio Musicians Translate Value

We covered in the previous reason that singer-songwriters create their own value;

They create the value that got them to where they are, and they’ll be create their value in the future.

Just to clarify; Value = Music = Songs

When they’re ready to put the songs into the real world, they either possess the skills to create their own music, or they pass it on to someone else to translate the value.

The people that translate the value are the engineers and the musicians. They can sure add value to the tracks (let’s be clear that I’m not thinking badly of them).

But if you’re interested in a career that will bring tons of value to other people, you can find more of it as a singer-songwriter.

Reason #4. Studio Musicians Hardly Get Famous

As I said before (but want to bring the point home), studio musicians rarely become famous merely by being studio musicians. Those that are successful do it by associating themselves with famous musicians (tough to do), or by having several different skills in regards to music.

When studio musicians want to get famous, they have to bust their ass to be skilled, and hope to get picked from the other 1000 musicians that can do what they can. Tons of people can play the guitar, or the drums.

Less people are skilled singers (and there’s more variance among singers), but back-up singers are still rather replaceable.

And note that some of the most famous singer-songwriters aren’t always the best singers, so it’s not necessary to be a virtuoso at all your instruments in order to move. It helps a lot to be competent, sure.

When studio musicians want to be famous, they tend to work on cover songs, but everyone makes cover songs! So where is the value?

The best angle you have is by creating original and memorable value.

Reason#5. Studio Musicians Rely on Other Songwriters;Songwriters Can Learn Their Instruments

When a studio musicians want to work in the field, they have to rely on songwriters to provide fresh, original material. Or they’ll play cover songs or some music that is already “out there”.

On the flipside, if a songwriter really needs some instrument tracks (that are unknown to them), they can realistically pick up the instrument and learn it. This is a bit of a time-waster though.

Once again, the power tips in the favor of the singer-songwriter.

In sum,

This is not an invitation to be mean to studio musicians, or to revere the singer-songwriter. Not at all.

But if you’re going into the career with the intention of making an impression, being a singer-songwriter provides the most opportunities for you.

It’s highly suggested that you should expand your horizons, and work towards music production and working on your own musical abilities.

Be good,

Dan A
Learning Song Writing From a Book - Does It REALLY Work? >> http://www.writeyournexthitsong.com

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »
See I always find 'bands' get a little 'left out' of these sorts of discussions. Granted they are similar to 'singer/songwriters' but they have considerably less durability so they offer even more value in many ways (little to no need for extra musicians when it comes to fleshing out a track and recording) but are a bigger risk in that if it takes a long time for their music to get noticed and known (and thus profitable) the band may disintegrate.
Defective Elector

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
I think this is a bit of a silly premise. A lot of us do many of these things. I don't see the point in drawing a division - you are a musician/songwriter etc. You wear whatever hats you can or want to within that remit that draw or reward you. I'd do a session to record the Birdy Song for 200 quid but it doesn't mean I'm not passionate about my own songs: it means I want to pay the gas bill.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.