konalavadome

Writing something that doesn't sound like 80's indie?

• 9 Replies

RJDG14

• Busker
« on: September 08, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
So far everything I've written sounds reminiscent of indie music from the 1980s, in terms of the style. In particular, it sounds like a Wedding Present/Billy Bragg/Moving Targets combo. While I quite like this low-fi approach, it sounds nothing like what any other 16 year olds are currently creating, and I'm wondering why they all take a different approach to me. Here are some of my common song strategies:

I strum the guitar in a fast, alternating manner. The downstroke is done using my fingernail while the upstroke uses the underside of my finger. This creates a jangly sound.

I use a lot of power chords, which I generally incorporate into this distorted jangly overtone.

Most of my songs use a verse-chorus structure.

Some of this may come down to the fact that I'm not a great guitar player. I seem similar skill-wise to how I was in 2014, however I haven't practised much in the interim.

Should I continue working with my current style, improving the quality of my guitar playing on the way, or switch to that softer 2010s singer-songwriter style that I find incredibly dull?

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 12:16:49 AM »
I would play what you like. otherwise, you'll get bored. Maybe try and expand your musical horizons. Listen to "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" by Joni Mitchell or "After The Goldrush" by Neil Young. If they don't inspire you, you're in the wrong game.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 07:13:18 AM »
Personally, I would persevere and diversify. Nothing wrong with your approach and I totally agree with your comments "2010s singer-songwriter style that I find incredibly dull"  :)

Good tips from Monty, take a listen to some classic albums from the sixties and seventies.

Also, maybe try starting off a song based on a riff rather than a chord sequence. Try slowing things down / speeding things up.

There's nothing wrong with the good old verse / chorus structure but you could try dropping in a middle 8 or a breakdown section.

With regards to guitar, of course it's all down to practice and how many of us are able to find enough time to do that  :)

Keep going and great to have you on the forum.

All the best

John / Pompeyjazz

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
What songs do you WANT to write?

If you want to write modern sounding songs (even 2010 dull guitar and vocal songs) much of the modern sound is achieved through PRODUCTION rather than the writing of the song

I am willing to bet I could take one of your songs and re-record & produce it to sound any way you want it from hip hop, modern pop, rock, grunge etc.

There are obviously things you can do to help your write songs in a particular genre (and as the others have said the first step is to LISTEN to great songs from that genre) but most songs can be performed, recorded and produced in a way to fit a genre

To break away from your "guitar based" writing I would suggest just setting a beat going (perhaps a more modern hip hop, rock or Edm beat to break out of your 80s influence) and sing a melody

Once you have your basic verse (perhaps pre-chorus) and chorus I would definitely suggest writing a bridge/middle section to give the song some variety and interest

As a structure I would suggest sticking to:

Verse
Pre-chorus (short build from verse to lead in to the chorus)
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Bridge
Chorus
Chorus

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
Hi I'm 18, so similar age group and I have a similar outlook. Love me some 80s indie, especially the Smiths, and some post punk like Joy Division, Bauhaus etc.

Whatever you do don't default to awful 2010s singer songwriter stuff. 1. It's bloody awful - omg when people play Ed Sheeran I want to hang myself but also 2. That was all the rage a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure everyone is starting to realise how awful it is because the focus is really shifting over to EDM (I much prefer EDM as a craze because I like to dance haha). Tbh my strategy in my mind to  deal with the current climate is to take some inspiration from the Smiths, because damn you can dance to their songs, but they're still interesting and indie. But I also think copying the Smiths is a bit cliche so I just try to listen to as many different genres as possible. As I said, I get a lot from post punk.

If you want some 80s indie that has more complex guitar The Smiths is definitely the way to  go btw. Johnny Marr is crazy. Its jangly but very arpeggiated and turns into some pretty complex, fast riffage. Is my Smiths obsession showing? But yeah, if your playing is always just fast strumming, this sort of stuff will probably help you with giving some variation.

Other good 80s genres to try other than indie and post punk is hardcore punk. I reccomend Bad Brains and Fugazi. Also if I go from some post punk to some New Order new wave stuff I can move into electronica. They blend the two extremes well (though my fav electronica is 70s Kraftwerk and 90s The Prodigy). And go further back into the 70s and further forward into the 90s, see where it takes you. I have a record shop nearby where you can listen to random stuff before you buy it. Usually strange new indie releases. My brothers collection of old hip hop...  I'm just heading into a Japanese degree, and I actually listen to a lot of Japanese stuff - Shiina Ringo (my picture is her), Number Girl, Envy. And I listen to Radio 1, I really do - as I said, I've come to enjoy EDM and maybe you could take something from it too. Just take inspiration from all sorts of stuff. Definitely don't take it as "well it's either 80s indie, or 2010s rubbishy singer songwriter stuff" - no you can take inspiration from anything and you will create your own style.

Just please please don't go bland 2010s singer songwriter style. Tbh going completely with the popular stuff out is not the way to get successful, because tastes will start to move on as you start getting places and also, you have to stand out to grab people's attention. Though listening to whats out is a good idea to make sure you have some (if vague) ties in the modern day because they say everything has to have a certain element of familiarity to be popular.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
I'm a fan of '80s indie stuff...I'd love to hear more of it around here  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:14:11 PM »
I'm a fan of '80s indie stuff...I'd love to hear more of it around here  :)
This.

But, if you wanna get out of ANY rut, stylistically, try playing and writing on some different instruments, even if you don't play them well. Or work with different collaborators.
Hell, try writing something acapella, and then throw instruments on it later...

Just some thoughts from a guy who, himself, has been blocked for so long, he has only written 2 songs in the last 2 years.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
IMHO sounding 'like' the 80's is fine as long as the song doesn't sound 'from' the 80's - ie you take the 80's vibe and feel but match it with a modern production too. Boydie has pointed this out above and I agree that it's really a production rather than primarily a writing issue. There's lots of modern Pop hits that sound 'like' the 80's but not 'from' the 80's - 'Black Magic' by Little Mix has a real Cyndi Lauper feel to it, 'Get Lucky' by Daft Punk has an unmistakable 80's vibe while 'I really like you' by CRJ has an 80's feel too. All have incorporated modern production techniques and bells and whistles too though so that could be a way of modernising your sound without unnecessarily going back to square . 

RJDG14

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »
Actually, 70's music appears to be great for getting inspiration from, even if I'm not especially into the original composition.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »
I think you´re looking at this in the wrong way. Obviously it all depends on what you want to get out of music, but I think worrying about what your friends are doing is a route-1 road to dissatisfaction. I think in any artform you have to create something you are passionate about. As you get older, more influences will creep in, your playing skills should get better and you´ll have more enthusiasm and ideas for expanding how you write music.

I would say keep doing what you are doing, listen to as much different music as you can (as long as you like it) and just practice writing as much as you can. It´ll pay off in the end.