konalavadome

21st Century Hymn

• 8 Replies

The Holographic Rodeo

• Open Mic
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:16:03 AM »
This is a quite different kindof song for me - I laid down a type of beat I wouldn't usually do, and have tried to blend together layers of vocals that build and increase throughout the song - in a way that is supposed to represent an angry mob gathering in strength and number. Would be interesting to get views on if those elements are working for you and if its coming across as intended.

Lyrics-wise this is some sensitive subject matter; I hope nobody takes offence.

These pressures were building, containing the tide
Wearing our shame like a cloak we did hide
You gave us each day daily indecency
Carved in stone, unholy imagery
In our hearts, in our minds
Innocence left behind

All your disciples were holding their piece
Rinsing their hands as theyre turning their cheeks
Did you scour your stain so the world wouldn’t  see?
Nothing wipes this graven imagery
From our hearts, from our minds
Broken and left behind

Did you hide your confessions, and think we would never reveal?
Did you really think no one would speak of your trespasses,  now bow your heads and kneel

Your foundation is crumbling, rot from within
Big secrets too small to hide all of your sin
Now we’re casting our stones, it’s your turn  to endure
This shame wasn’t ours to wear, always been yours
Frees our hearts frees our minds
Healing, past left behind

https://soundcloud.com/user-447063873/21st-century-hymn

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:32:34 AM »
Hi THR - an interesting one indeed. Doing things you wouldn't normally do is great for keeping things original. Nicely reworked biblical references in the lyrics.
I really get the crowd feel especially towards the end - reminded me of a Jesus Christ Superstar or similar style huge choir, which combined with the quite "tribal" sounding beat gives a really impactful atmosphere.
Guitars sound really good all through (perhaps they're a bit samey, as other than the voices not a lot of new sounds come in as we go through?).
I'd shorten the intro to a couple of bars though, and shift a bar or so of the beat to the end so it doesn't end so suddenly.
Cool sounds and I think you nailed what you were looking for.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:12:23 AM »
I really like the lyrics and the melody has a really interesting chant-like feel. Very original and excellent production. I would perhaps consider shortening slightly the intro, but overall, great track

Kevin

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 01:53:15 PM »
@The Holographic Rodeo

Hi, reminded me of John Lennon at his most acerbic, lyrically and melodically. Liked the guitar sounds too. Nice chord progressions.

Enjoyed it

Jamie

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 04:58:44 PM »
@The Holographic Rodeo
I too can hear John Lennon's vocal style here. I like the percussion intro, although as has already been said, maybe a bit too long. I was expecting something wholly different until the song came in but I really like it's direction. I think it deserves a better ending though - it's a bit abrupt. So said, I certainly enjoyed it. :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »
@The Holographic Rodeo I like where you're coming from. This is different - Yes, definitely a hint of JL - Dual tracked lead vocals, one of Lennon's favorite tricks. I think the percussion works very well and there's a hint of a psychedelic vibe here too - Backwards guitar please  :) Great subject matter and a great listen for me

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
Another songwriter to inspire me to try more new things. I second all the nice comments so far. I especially like the rhythm section. No nits from me. Mostly. You sort of pronounced "Did you" a bit like "Didjoo"; I prefer cleaner pronunciations. It wasn't all that noticeable, though, so not a biggie. For the most part it was a lot better than anything I can do, so I'm a fan.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
Hi @The Holographic Rodeo ,
Intro is too long IMHO but I like the way it goes after that. The double tracked vocal and acerbic writing are a little John Lennonish. The lyrics are strong are free form cliche and you have introduced just enough variation in the arrangement to keep it interesting. I would maybe have put a section in where the percussion came out of it's pattern and did something else but basically this is a good track which effectively puts over what you want to say. Nice one.
M

The Holographic Rodeo

• Open Mic
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for the encouraging feedback so far. I'll take acerbic John Lennon comparisons any day :), though admittedly I didn't have him too much in mind with this song. I umm'd and arr'd over the whether intro was too long, so now you've definitely convinced me its right to trim it down a little. I hadn't thought about extending the outro before though.. food for thought.

Thanks all!