Forgot to mention Remix

• 3 Replies

calafinestrat

• Busker
« on: April 25, 2024, 02:08:32 PM »
Soundcloud Link: https://tinyurl.com/f3by5wfr

This is a remix of my original track. Tried to improve on the first effort by changing vocals volume and removing reverb.
Added extra bass and some vocal harmony.  Not sure if it's any better than the first one but worth a try.
Going to do some reading up on mixing and mastering to try and get the hang of it. My strength is lyrics.

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 03:42:41 PM »
An improvement but the drums are way too low in the mix and the vocal still sounds weird. Are you using compression on the drums?

I'd start by cutting all the low end out of the vocals, maybe everything below 150k. Add some compression and then dial the reverb in slowly until it sounds something like.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 03:56:38 PM »
@calafinestrat Thats a better mix but I reckon the drums need to come up in the mix. The vocals, although clearer seem so have a phase effect on them and the reverb makes them seem a bit lost in the mix. I would start with a clean, dry vocal then dial in the reverb bit by bit until it sits well in the mix. Good on yer for working on it

calafinestrat

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 05:24:54 PM »
@Nick Ryder @pompeyjazz
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the phase effect on the vocals is down to my choice of sounds in GarageBand. I'm using a preset called "dreamy" in the fun settings which I've used before. There are a couple of extra settings in this which alter the phase effect. I'm not going to attempt another mix of this song. I'll have a good read up on the (dark)art of mixing before I attempt another project.
Thanks for listening.