Rude to stare

• 27 Replies

exfairy

• Busker
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
Hey, I wrote a new song! Haven't really worked a lot on the past ones but I might go back to them when I feel more inspired to. This one's quite a different vibe/sound to my usual ones - it's not all happy and jolly. It kind of reminds me of an MCR song a little... I can't think which one though.
Anyway, recording is just rough (I literally just sat down with my uke and recorded it), but was wanting thoughts? Some of the lyrics are a little iffy I know... I was looking for rhymes okay!?

LINK: https://soundcloud.com/exfairy/rude-to-stare/s-htcZA

Lyrics:

Once I caught some friends live
Well they were mocking and teasing, poking and feeling just fine
I felt it unnecessary to whine

It's the shock you have to accept
From the girl you least expect
From a loser, to a winner
The trust is growing thinner

I let them go again
It seems I've developed the knack
But this time I'm not coming back

from a loser, to a winner
It's the shock you have to expect
Cos I'm done accepting
Your lack of care
And don't you know it's rude to stare

Concentration
No regrets
Or hesiation
Hesitation

From a loser to a winner
It's the shock you have to expect
Cos I'm done accepting
Your lack of care
And don't you know it's rude to stare

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »
Hi Exfairy, it sounds like the chords in this have got real potential.  Probably a uke doesn't do them justice though.  How about investing in an electric guitar and some big bad fuzz pedals?  I think this would sound awesome turned up to 11... the chord pattern actually made me think of Nirvana or Hendrix.  Your strong and clear voice would sit really well against some distortion I think.  (I had to Google what MCR stood for by the way - I don't know them, worth checking out?)
It's all too beautiful.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
Hi Exfairy

I agree with Pauly here. Be awesome to hear played with an electric. The song is good and your vocal is lovely. I didn't grasp the meaning in the lyrics but I'm just slow like that! Nice to hear another one of yours.

A couple of faults in the track but that's easily fixed with practice.

All the best
Darren

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
Hi Exfairy, it sounds like the chords in this have got real potential.  Probably a uke doesn't do them justice though.  How about investing in an electric guitar and some big bad fuzz pedals?  I think this would sound awesome turned up to 11... the chord pattern actually made me think of Nirvana or Hendrix.  Your strong and clear voice would sit really well against some distortion I think.  (I had to Google what MCR stood for by the way - I don't know them, worth checking out?)

Hey, thanks! Yeah, I'm not that great at playing guitar, and don't even own an electric but I'll see if I can play them on what I've got first. When initially writing the chord sequence, especially the verse bit, I kind of got a little Nirvana-y vibe from it but then I only know the one song by them and even less of Hendrix so... :/ Well thanks anyway. And MCR is My Chemical Romance. They're like a rocky/punky/screamy/metaly band from the noughties I think (I don't like putting bands like these in genres as people get very annoyed). I really like them, they're rocky/screamy but still really catchy. Black Parade is a must listen tbh (song and album). :)

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
Hi Exfairy

I agree with Pauly here. Be awesome to hear played with an electric. The song is good and your vocal is lovely. I didn't grasp the meaning in the lyrics but I'm just slow like that! Nice to hear another one of yours.

All the best
Darren

Hey, thanks! I think I'll look over the lyrics - they're not perfect. It's basically about breaking it off with "toxic people" (I don't really like saying that tbh) who're just a negative energy in your life, and playing with the idea of the quiet one being the one to kick the leg from under the table basically. Based on (mostly) personal experience :P :)
Oh and the pause was to scroll down for the lyrics so definitely need more practise XD

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
Hi Exfairy

All the best
Darren

Hey, thanks! I think I'll look over the lyrics - they're not perfect. It's basically about breaking it off with "toxic people" (I don't really like saying that tbh) who're just a negative energy in your life, and playing with the idea of the quiet one being the one to kick the leg from under the table basically. Based on (mostly) personal experience :P :)
Oh and the pause was to scroll down for the lyrics so definitely need more practise XD

That actually makes it a lot clearer. It may well have just been me being slow on the uptake. I don't think the lyrics need re writing btw but if you got tweaks in mind go for it :) and haha I see now...well an easy remedy for that then ;) nice work. Look forward to hearing the developments

Darren

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »
Hi Exfairy, this is absolutely excellent stuff and I would be more than willing to lay down a heavy guitar, bass and drum track if you're interested.  PM Me if you're into it  :)

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »
Hi Exfairy, this is absolutely excellent stuff and I would be more than willing to lay down a heavy guitar, bass and drum track if you're interested.  PM Me if you're into it  :)

Thanks. And that sounds great, I will absolutely PM you! :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:23:33 AM »
Yo exfairy.

The song is interesting and has potential for development. Your type of music really doesn't suit what a uke has to offer,so I'm looking forward to what you and pomps do together.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »
Yep!! agree with all of the above..Pomps will sort it!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
Hey Exfairy,

This has such a nice ring to it, you really know what you're doing with that Uke, and what a great sound!

And how the vocal melody works with the groove; what a flow and very funky.

I can understand the MCR comnparisson, and wouldn't have started imagining the peircing guitars until reading that - but am now super excited about it!

This is a step up (or at least a step towards my tastes) from your other stuff I've heard - really exciting.

Love it!

All the best,
Scott.

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Been a while, sorry about that! Was moving to uni. But here are the versions pompeyjazz and I did:
Pop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/91lztzqg7lmdtg7/rude_to_stare-005.wav?dl=0
Rock: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1b860i5zapqd6w/rude_to_stare_rock-002.wav?dl=0
I think the song suits the rock version more, but my voice suits the pop one a little better. Thoughts? :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz